Why become a member? ×

New lighter Vintage and Compacts in stock!

alexclaber

Hi Alex,

I'm way up in sunny Birkenhead - where abouts are you?

I play a mix of styles, some funkesque stuff on my handmade KGB bass (made by an excellent local luthier) and I have a Vintage fretless too...i use quite a lot of effects, esp octaver, so I need something to handle the lows, hence why I wanted a 15" speaker....our band isn't mega loud by any means, as we use programmed drums, so I think a 1000w could be a bit OTT! I've just been looking online at the peavey tour series 450 which give 300w into 8 ohms, which i reckon could be about right - i've used peavey gear before and it's usually good and loud for the rating given....just need to find a shop with one in stock so I can check it out.

I also need to check my finances, but I'm definitely interested...

Cheers,

Neil

I'm way down in sunny Brighton!

If you're happy with the weight of the Peavey then for a similar price you could go for the LH500 which has a nicer preamp (Fender Dual Showman / Alembic etc clone) and a smidgeon more power. The Big One's a great cab for using lots of effects with - it's so transparent that you really hear the effect, plus the woofer can handle any big lows from synths and filters.

Alex

The other option, as you're already using pedals, is to get hold of a cheap power amp that'll bridge into 8 ohms, and then use a suitably hot pedal at the end of your FX chain to drive that. Which pedals will do it depends on the power amps - more expensive power amps tend to be more demanding as they're designed for pro level signal chains, not consumer or instrument level.

Alex

[quote name='d-basser' post='583300' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:26 AM']Any midgets going to be ready soon Alex? Really interested in getting one.[/quote]

Hope to get them sorted v soon - am meeting up with that builder in the next few days to get the details finalised.

Alex

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='586032' date='Aug 31 2009, 08:26 PM']Hi Alex, does this clip of a 12/6 sound anything like any of your cabs?

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7895413&postcount=632"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...p;postcount=632[/url][/quote]

Unfortunately the hosting site is down so I can't listen to it now. However, I don't believe in clips of any cab intended to be low colouration to be of any use - fine for guitar cabs or more coloured bass cabs but once you're onto low colouration designs then the effect of the speakers you're listening back through is too large. And that cab has a different midrange driver and a different crossover.

Alex

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='588831' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:41 PM']D you have a manual for the Big One yet Alex?[/quote]

I had a giant generic Barefaced manual but it's too long and complicated so I'm trying to write some more easily digestible ones. The Big One is on the to-do list!

Alex

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='588848' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:56 PM']I have to say, I really liked the long, complicated manual. But maybe that's just me.[/quote]

Well I hope to house that deeper info on the site for those who want to learn more. I too like giant techy manuals, am just concerned that those who most need to read them are those that are least likely to! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='588853' date='Sep 3 2009, 05:04 PM']Well I hope to house that deeper info on the site for those who want to learn more. I too like giant techy manuals, am just concerned that those who most need to read them are those that are least likely to! :)

Alex[/quote]

Ah 'tis ever thus ..
If you want me to have a peruse/proof/sense check of your manual I'll be happy to. I've done a few technical docs and things before ..