Why become a member? ×

Show us yer knobs!

Vin Venal

Slightly niche area I'm guessing, a knob's a knob to most people, right?

But I wanna change the knobs on me P-bass at some point. I just think domed or flat-top metal knobs are a bit boring.

Curious to see what weird and wacky options are out there.

This is the bass in question:

Thanks in advance!

2022-10-09-09-47-46-529.jpg

21 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Slightly niche area I'm guessing, a knob's a knob to most people, right?

But I wanna change the knobs on me P-bass at some point. I just think domed or flat-top metal knobs are a bit boring.

Curious to see what weird and wacky options are out there.

This is the bass in question:

Thanks in advance!

2022-10-09-09-47-46-529.jpg

Gold finish o ring or black o ring. Hipshot do them they look nice and in theory are practical. Look good on that bass

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

On a similar note. Does anyone have any particular knob vendors or emporiums to recommend? Perhaps a one man operation somewhere? A merchant if you will. 

I do enjoy moving away from the norm but I've not found something that's really caught my eye and eBay is about as far as I have ventured this far so would appreciate some venerable recommendations for your favourite knobs.

1 hour ago, Bassmidget209 said:

On a similar note. Does anyone have any particular knob vendors or emporiums to recommend? Perhaps a one man operation somewhere? A merchant if you will. 

I do enjoy moving away from the norm but I've not found something that's really caught my eye and eBay is about as far as I have ventured this far so would appreciate some venerable recommendations for your favourite knobs.

I bought these from a seller called ampspares on ebay who has a fine assortment of knobs.

In terms of stuff to search for in general, definitely try looking for amp/pedal knobs if you're after something different - searches for guitar knobs tend to bring up the same traditional gibson fender styles.

12 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Was very pleased with the cheap Chinese rosewood/maple knobs I put on my recently completed Whatthef*ckenbacker headless project.

Whatthefuckenbacker09.thumb.JPG.4ce5020632adf6e530e9f108a70a6cd2.JPG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194295605683

They turned out to look better in real life than the pics in the ad. Push fit so may not work with solid shafts.

What are your tuners? Are they good? Are they fixed to the plate? Can they be had in sets of 5? Will thy make my bank account cry?

Forget it I just followed your link. Very helpful info in all of that.

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I have a PB as my first instrument - got this week - and I was thinking the same thing that the knobs aren’t great to use. Could do with some sort of marker on them so I set them a little easier. 
Anyone recommend some nice ones? 

No specific recommendations, as options abound and very much depends on what style you're going for.

In case it helps though, as yours is a Player Precision like mine (saw your intro thread), you will have 1/4" pots with smooth shafts, so don't get knobs to fit 6mm, or splined shafts. 🙂

On 12/10/2022 at 04:33, Bassmidget209 said:

I really like working with this guy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PickKnobs

He loves doing custom work and the pictured stuff on Etsy barely scratches the surface of what he can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1