Why become a member? ×

Spector NS2 (US) solid 5A quilted maple wings and ultra amber gloss finish - *SOLD*
£3500
Manchester

three

Well, this is going to hurt a bit.  I try to avoid hyperbole in ads, and for this one, the images should do most of the talking.  However, I would say this is possibly the most beautiful bass that I have owned (and there have been many).  To illustrate the point, on viewing this instrument, my wife, who genuinely could not be any less interested in basses, exclaimed 'WOW!'  Now she's seen a few very nice instruments but none have elicited any remark whatsoever.

So to business.  A US Stuart Spector signed NS2 in Ultra Amber finish - it took me ages to source this one.  It has the (unusual) solid 5A quilted maple wings - from what I read, this implied a significant upcharge - around £1000 in 2017, the year of build.  I'm also told that the neck is around 2mm shallower than is normal (at the request of the commissioning purchaser).  Nut width is 1.64" and the scale is 34".  Abalone inlays on the Pau Ferro board.  I can't find any blemishes or imperfections anywhere - I'd say that the bass could pretty much pass for as new.  The amber burst is vibrant and beautiful and the timbers used throughout are outstanding - even the ebony head cap is subtly gorgeous.  EMG X PJ pickups and the 9v Haz pre.  It sounds like a Spector.  I have the action extremely low - probably too low for most - and the bass is strung with D'Addario 40-95 nickel rounds as far as I can remember.  Playability is superb, though the bass is simply too big for me.  I started to play short-scale pretty much exclusively around 4 years ago and moving back to long-scale is now a struggle.  The bass just isn't getting any use.

In terms of history, I believe that the bass was supplied to a dealer in Canada in early 2018 (build date is December 2017).  I think that the bass sold in North America, then found its way to Switzerland, from where I purchased it around 18 months ago.  I can't see any evidence of play from either of the previous owners - I suspect that the bass has been noodled and then returned to its case.  Really, I doubt you'd find a Spector in better condition.  

I have the Spector branded hard-case but apparently, this wasn't original to the bass.  The case has a knock/crack in the rear surface (not obvious or visible, though it's there) and the internal foam has minor damage where the upper horn sits.  I also have a Gator hard case of the type that Spector now supplies for its basses, though mine isn't Spector branded and has some minor signs of wear.  If any prospective buyer wishes to arrange their own courier, I suggest that it is shipped in the Gator case for added protection.  Collection in Manchester is great, of course, though if a purchaser requires shipment and can arrange this, I can print labels, find a strong carton and pack well.  

As far as I can see, a bass like this commissioned today would cost somewhere significantly north of £6k.  I'm taking quite a substantial hit on the instrument (as noted above, I imported from Switzerland with all the tax and shipping costs that this involves) so I'm not looking for any offers or trades thanks.

Any questions, please just ask.  The images were taken on a dark and wet afternoon in the North.  I'll try to get something far better in place by tomorrow - any specific images, again please just ask.   

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6059.JPG

Edited by three
mistakes
  • Like 28

2 hours ago, three said:

To illustrate the point, on viewing this instrument, my wife, who genuinely could not be any less interested in basses, exclaimed 'WOW!'  Now she's seen a few very nice instruments but none have elicited any remark whatsoever.

I think my wife and your wife should get together for a competition for The Most Disinterested Wife of a Bass Player 🤣.

Good luck with the sale mate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, julfam said:

My ex… it’s just stunning. GLWTS

(I am considering getting it back)

my wife still considers it the most beautiful bass I’ve ever owned. 

D8F4500F-80BC-4F18-9A5A-B328657CCBAE.jpeg

590C2059-96E7-4C61-A05A-FCFE2E0DEC06.jpeg

02C43423-1FFC-4D46-99D4-EA63573FBD79.jpeg

5067C85C-2513-48C9-B00A-AF575C5D48DA.jpeg

C65513B4-60E8-41BA-9EE4-AC634F7C7FB7.jpeg

Thanks Julfam - some lovely images and far better than my own!  As you know, it's an unbelievably beautiful instrument in every respect.  You'd be very welcome to repatriate this to Switzerland - and I'm sure that your wife will be delighted!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cetera said:

Stunner, right there!! 😍

My days of spending north of £2k on any instrument are over but this is worth every penny. GLWTS!

It's easy say so with a collection like yours 🙂

Normally I don't comment on sales threads except for nice Spectors 🙂

Good luck, whoever gets this will be delighted for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bakerster135 said:

It's here! https://ultimatebasses.ca/used

Found that while searching ultra amber NS2s! I really want this bass, it's gorgeous 😍 What can I sell? 🤔...

Thanks! I hadn’t seen this - I think the bass was delivered from new to Ultimate, then sold to its first owner in Autumn 2019 (later than I’d thought)

Confirmed - I bought it to first owner (Michael), a really good guy based in Toronto. He is mostly on Talkbass. He really didn’t play it much, and had quite a few NS2. Michael got it from Dave at Ultimate basses. I bought it from Canada and I can say that I wrote off the shipping and import fees, so does three, so it’s a pretty exceptional offer!

Edited by julfam
  • Thanks 1

• three changed the title to SOLD - Spector NS2 (US) solid 5A quilted maple wings and ultra amber gloss finish