Why become a member? ร—

Midlands Bass Bash: Nottingham, 22 April 2023 ๐Ÿ‘

Richard R

I may be a bit late unfortunately. ย  I got a mail this morning saying my insulin is to be delivered today. ย  ย Iโ€™ll set off as soon as it arrives but I have to be in to get it because itโ€™s a refrigerated and has to go in the fridge on arrival. ย  Iโ€™m kinda at the mercy of the Post Office for now Iโ€™m afraid.

Hope to see you guys later.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I jest.

ย 

I used to be really early for everything too, it was due to traffic anxiety and entering 'waiting mode' when any event was coming up leading to just going early to avoid the boredom.

ย 

My wife has ADHD and she taught me to chill out a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I jest.

ย 

I used to be really early for everything too, it was due to traffic anxiety and entering 'waiting mode' when any event was coming up leading to just going early to avoid the boredom.

ย 

My wife has ADHD and she taught me to chill out a lot.

I also jest. I am also stupidly early for everything, but in my case itโ€™s purely down to being a tรฏt.

• Haha 1

My delivery has arrived, but itโ€™d be 1:00 (traffic permitting) before I can get there, so Iโ€™m gonna give it a miss guys. ย  Iโ€™m really sorry. ย I was looking forward to trying the short scale bass too. ย  ย Next time hopefully.

• Sad 2

Iโ€™ve been home about an hour Cawfee, then tube my lunch. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, some lovely basses, Owens Overwater 6ixer being one, Machines MTD got me thinking as well. I pushed off early as I needed some Nutrition and I have MEDโ€™s to take into account. A great time was had, hearing all the snap, popple and crack of you guys that do the โ€˜Slap and Tickleโ€™ , makes me a bit envious of your abilities, but old school (or just plain old) has its compensations in memories.

ย 

Thanks to everyone I spoke to, it was really good to โ€˜Newsโ€™ with you. Some spot on Amp set upsโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..ย G.A.S. Never say never (I did).

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Oldman said:

Man, did I win in the raffle?

ย 

I think you won three jumbo tubes of orange smarties. Pete has them on someone's behalf.

ย 

34 minutes ago, Machines said:

Everyone did except me.

That's because you didn't buy a ticket, isn't it?

• Like 1

Yup - back too.ย ย 

ย 

Great to meet up with the folks I already know and the folks I've not met beforeย  :)

ย 

Many thanks to Peter and Richard - and anyone else I may have missed - for organising and running.ย  Great venue!!!ย  Perfect.

ย 

Thanks also to listening to my ramblings about bass set up...and apologies to anyone whose bass I tweaked and when they got it home and tried it exclaimed 'W*F????'ย  ย 9_9ย 

ย 

I realised when I got back that I hadn't taken ANY photos.ย  Hopefully, some folks did - and there should be the group photo shortly too :)

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1

Photographs to start the gallery:

20230422_130220.thumb.jpg.c046488bb142be4a80863d7f3f92b53f.jpg

ย 

"Can anyone tell me what this wooden bit is called? Anyone??" Andy' setup guide starts with the basics.

ย 

20230422_151940.thumb.jpg.a0e12bbb07d7ad19ace3ba58090e39ca.jpg

ย 

Aluminium necked Kramer - really nice to play.

ย 

20230422_144826.thumb.jpg.aa2425a2979d6b413407b93c035e5d75.jpg

ย 

And thanks to The Music Inn for supporting us with some raffle prizes.

• Like 4

Loadsa photos coming as soon as I download the camera.ย 

ย 

Late due to waiting for a parcel... so didn't get to try everything that snagged my interest, but enjoyed: that ancient Hofner archtop, the Kramer, getting a go on a Wal Pro IIe ..and hearing my own basses played by other people from an audience equivalent distance.

ย 

plus Old man's GR cab .. so light! And someone minimark combo... so small and yet so powerful!ย  And Andy pointing out that the action on my 5 string was not, as I thought, a bit high, but near unplayable low ( I'd been measuring it wrong).

ย 

Thanks all and see you next time

I managed somehow to not play a single Wal, despite there being lots there. Notable basses for me includedย @Owen's Overwater 6 (strung F#,B,E,A,D,G) but sounded quite amazing, @floFC's Kramer with the aluminium neck, @emperormingus's 58 Hofner and @Machines's Dingwall D-roc.ย  All very different approaches to making a bass.

ย 

Having @Andyjr1515go over my bass setup was clearly a highlight, especially as the intonation issue on the B string was solved by raising the string height by 0.5mm. As simple as that! Now I have to do the other basses.

• Like 2

Proving that just as owning a fancy bass doesn't make you a great bassist ... oneing a posh camera doesn't make me a photographer, as I'd evindently pressed a button that did something weird to the exposure and focus (the compostion is just lack of skills!)ย  Anyway, a few could be salvaged:

ย 

.. and there were only three Wals there but I'm sure they will come again .. so everyone gets a go eventually.ย  I must remember to try a Dingwal again myself ... they sound fantastic but look kinda scarey!

ย 

ย 

embb001.JPG

embb002.JPG

embb003.JPG

embb004.JPG

embb005.JPG

embb006.JPG

embb007.JPG

embb008.JPG

• Like 5

Home now and basses all tucked up for the night. Really enjoyable meeting you all & thanks again to the organisers.

ย 

The bass highlights for me were @floFCโ€™s Kramer(great front p/up tone & lighter than expected), @SimBassโ€™s Eminence EUB (far superior to my KK) and, at number 1,ย @emperormingusโ€™s JMJ Mustang with flats ( I want one now!!).

• Like 3

I went straight to bed when I got home - trigger finger and rubbish cold notwithstanding, I had a great time and I'm glad everyone else seemed to enjoy themselves too.ย  Just sorting out some pix to upload, including the group photo.

• Like 1