Saturday 22 April 2023.

Location confirmed as:

Radford Care,

Prospect Street, Radford, Nottingham, NG7 5QE

https://www.radfordcaregroup.org.uk/prospect-street/

Exact times and costs TBC.

‐--------

Alas there was no 2022 Midlands Bass Bash.  😢

@jebroad had organised the 2019 and 2021 events with style, but has moved to pastures new so the venue wasn't available for 2022 and the event didn't happen.

For 2023 we need to get organised. Otherwise those folks down in Surrey and Somerset will be gloating!

First we need a venue:  Do people have preferences or suggestions? @petecarlton will look into a venue near Nottingham, I can look around the M42 east of Birmingham. Anyone else have a possible venue?

As for dates: the last two were in May, and I seem to recall they being on the bank holiday weekend.  A Saturday in April maybe?

(Almost) all suggestions welcome 

Edited by Richard R
Updated to include Nottingham in the title
  • Like 6

The 'Midlands' is a rather amorphous zone. I'm at the extreme northern end of it, and I have a 30 mile drive in any direction to get to a motorway... I accept that wouldn't locate something at one of the extremities as people wouldn't turn up. I also know that there is no easy answer to the venue selection as availability dictates as much as anything. I was thinking that somewhere like Telford would be suitably inconvenient for most people, although I don't have nay specific suggestions for a venue (I will ask someone I know for ideas). For me, Nottingham is roughly 90 miles away - depends on the route, via M6 it's over 100.    

UPDATE: I've been told that we can have the space one Saturday in April, but which one will have to wait until a bit nearer the time, as they have a fortnightly commitment to another group, who haven't yet sorted out their 2023 dates. I'll post some pix of the location next week when I'm there for our monthly improv night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

OK guys, couldn't resist a slide show of Janey's 246 pic's - here's a few before bedtime!

DSC_0334.JPG

DSC_0453.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

20221009_125118.thumb.jpg.d85d9e7e0215905a3af164adc9deed77.jpg

@petecarlton I don't think were going to compete with the SW bash on the catering, but we have a standard to aim for otherwise 😁

Any update on the venue availability in April/May?

• Thanks 1

It's available @Richard R.  However,I still can't tell you which Saturday, plus I forgot to take the pictures I promised at my last improv session there.

Bad bassist!  😀

Actually, there's  a little bit about it on their website: https://www.radfordcaregroup.org.uk/prospect-street/

Thanks Pete. 👍

That looks like a great space! Easy to navigate to as well, which is a big plus, and very easy load in/out which is essential. 

If you remember to take more photos then please do.

Hopefully the other group will sort their 2023 calendar out soon, so we have the date options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Thanks Pete. 👍

That looks like a great space! Easy to navigate to as well, which is a big plus, and very easy load in/out which is essential. 

If you remember to take more photos then please do.

Hopefully the other group will sort their 2023 calendar out soon, so we have the date options.

I emailed my contact on Friday, she's trying to sort it out today... 🤞

• Thanks 1

We work with who turns up - that evening we had a tap dancer (standing up), violin, tenor sax, alto, clarinet, keys, snare, bass and guitars.  Play in threes nominated pretty randomly by the moderator for five minutes, no stopping, no conferring - great fun, though scary at first!  Sometimes, it even sounds like music.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Hi all.  I've now had confirmation that any Saturday in April is available to us after all.  £60 for hiring from 12 - 4pm, £95 for all day.  

Any thoughts?

Pete

I would avoid the 8th as that is in the Easter weekend, but any of the others are OK with me at the moment.  :)

• Thanks 1