Why become a member? ×

Overdrive in front of all-valve amp

Clarky

I just took ownership of a new Handbox WB-100 which sounds phenomenal with a "fat tube" sound dialled in (drive engaged, Gain just at crunch point, bass boosted slightly, mid and treble slightly cut). I intend for this to be my basic live sound. If I want to drive the amp harder, I can of course play with the Gain and the Feedback [a sort of character] switch. However, this is not practical on the fly mid-gig. So I think an OD pedal in front might be useful. My Sansamp doesn't seem to interact very nicely when I experimented with this so are there any recommendations for a super simple pedal that would take the amp into valve-compatible break-up? On TalkBass  I have seen people mention Fulltone OCD, Way Huge Pork & Pickle and Catalinbread SFT for this very purpose. However, I wondered if the BassChat collective had any strong views?

PS,  I am not thinking ultra distortion/doom type sounds, just a nicely overdriven 60s/70s style valve sound.

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Hey Clarky, don't know the amp but on some all-tube amps simply pushing the volume in increases the saturation without necessarily pushing the volume out?  

Thanks Chris but in practice how would that work? Keep V knob below max on my bass for the set, only tweaking up to max when overdrive needed? Bit foreign to me as I always have V knob on max on my bass (currently either a P-pickup equipped Serek or a Fender Precision)!

Edited by Clarky

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

TC Spark Booster (full sized one) I reckon would fit the bill nicely.

This sounds good to me. A clean boost pedal before the input on the amp, set at a level that pushes the gain stage into the desired level of overdrive. Overall volume may also increase which may (or not) be a problem depending on the context of how you intend to use it (eg. stepping forward for solos or just adding drive for tone). That's where having a switchable channel on the amp with it's own gain and volume setting comes into its own.

Edited by ikay
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, this is for my blues rock band when the lead guitarist launches into one of his solos and I think I could help drive the song more by "thickening" the bass sound out. As an example, see 38:35 from a gig earlier this year - my bass tone doesn't change from the preceding verse/choruses and I think it could do more. This was obvs with my Orange Terror Bass, which is valve-fronted but not all-valve.

I do that by getting the device to respond to my playing dynamics. If it doesn't respond it gets sold.

In your case I might make an exception for the sublime primary tone. Then it's a case of determining if a a level boost is actually going to do the trick. Not knowing your amp I am guessing an input gain boost on the amp should be analogous to a clean boost pedal?

• Like 1

The full-size Spark booster is excellent for pushing a driven amp over the edge without altering your tone too much. If you wanted something with more 'character' to it's drive perhaps the EHX Hot Wax would appeal - has a variety of interesting pushed tones plus a clean blend and master EQ, and you can stack both of the drives for three different sounds on top of your basic clean.

• Like 3

Another recommendation for the 4-knob Spark Booster here. Clean boost, overdrive, dirty boost, three different EQ profiles, plus high and low controls - and inexpensive too. You're bound to find something that floats your boat.

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2022 at 18:30, Clarky said:

Thanks Chris but in practice how would that work? Keep V knob below max on my bass for the set, only tweaking up to max when overdrive needed? Bit foreign to me as I always have V knob on max on my bass (currently either a P-pickup equipped Serek or a Fender Precision)!

Yep, either that or a pedal, just don't think you need overdrive per se, in fact it could result in some loss of authentic tube tone 👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Would your two channel Tech21 Steve Harris pedal not do the trick? Even blend out the Sansamp part and just have the two volume controls on the foot switch.

Erm, I sold it Gareth for a programmable Sansamp BDI. It does (since I posted this) do the trick but a smaller footprint would be good. Hoping that the Spark Booster will be a small and simple solution

• Like 1

I don't know this amp and haven't found a schematic , but looking at the basic amp spec, it would be worth experimenting with a clean boost to see if you can drive the ECC83 preamp amp circuit to give you some more "natural overdrive" from the preamp valves .

Something like a Mosky XP (xotic EP boost clone)  circa £20  would do this and gives you upto +20dB of boost. 

I often do this on my guitar valve amps to get more input gain. 

Specs:

Preamp:

3x ECC83 tubes (3x12AX7)

Power amplifier:

4x6L6 tubes

120W output

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 23.29.18.png

Edited by orangepeelneil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ashdown James Lomenzo hyperdrive pedal. Is a great pedal which is very flexible. Definitely will do what you want. Can still find them new on Reverb from France, which is where I got mine from.

I Use my Ashdown JL Hyperdrive in front of my CTM 100.

Edited by Triumph_Rock
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2022 at 23:36, orangepeelneil said:

I don't know this amp and haven't found a schematic , but looking at the basic amp spec, it would be worth experimenting with a clean boost to see if you can drive the ECC83 preamp amp circuit to give you some more "natural overdrive" from the preamp valves .

Something like a Mosky XP (xotic EP boost clone)  circa £20  would do this and gives you upto +20dB of boost. 

I often do this on my guitar valve amps to get more input gain. 

Specs:

Preamp:

3x ECC83 tubes (3x12AX7)

Power amplifier:

4x6L6 tubes

120W output

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 23.29.18.png

I have the Mosky XP boost on my guitar board, it's a cracking pedal for the price. I can't see any point in paying any more for anything else when this is such a simple "effect".