Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever had their favourite bass 'plek'd' ?

musicbassman

I heard about this tool a couple of years ago - below is a description for those who are curious.

Would you consider having this done to correct a favourite bass that's started misbehaving?

Are there many/any luthiers offering this service in the UK ?

I'm guessing it's really not going to be cheap  😲

https://sfguitarworks.com/the-plek/

Some bass manufacturers do it as part of new instrument production: MTD is the one I can think of. It sounds very useful - I guess the only way you'd know is if you had an instrument you've played for some time plek'd and then could describe the difference.

Most of the basses I've owned over the last 15 years were plek'ed as part of the manufacturing process.

When I buy a new (to me) bass I have a set up and fret stone, if it needs it. No matter how good the bass was before, it always comes back playing much better.

• Like 1

If it was an option while buying a new bass (and wasn't hiking up the price a stupid amount) then I'd consider it just to say I'd tried it if nothing else, seems like kind of a waste though since I wouldn't know how much difference it made having never tried the instrument beforehand though.

I can't see me ever sending off a bass to have it done though, purely because I'd expect some kind of damage/loss during shipping there or back.

Perhaps if a local place offered the service and I could do a collection/drop-off type thing I'd give it a shot.

Edited by Saul Panzer

My most recent purchase, an Xotic, was Plek’d by the manufacturer.

The action is ridiculously low (even for me and I like ‘em low) but I accept this may not be achievable on every instrument.

Is it worth it for the extra price? Probably not for me as I think I can wrangle most basses into a good (for me) set up.

Quite possibly worth it for someone for doesn’t like getting the tools out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience offer the service for already owned basses.

The various options are shown in the link below.

Starts at £150 for a fret dress….

https://ccgx.co.uk/plek/

Some years ago I had my ‘73 Precision refretted there and they plekked it as part of the set-up. It was excellent and I’ve never had to adjust it since.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Having read the site posted to:

It says that the process is accurate to 1 thou (0.001 of an inch). Yet further down it says that the frets have to be to 0.0005" (ie half the tolearnce of the process) to avoid buzzing etc.  Typo, or an own goal?

So anywhere between 0.0015 and minus 0.0005 then 🙂?

0.0005 inch is 0.0127mm ..... anyone got frets that low?

I'd never heard of this before. Now having read up on it via the provided link, I see it states that the process commences by examining and discussing your playing style. Well, as long as they have a  s h i t  setting, I may well give it a go😉

• Haha 2