Jump to content

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?


Recommended Posts

On 24/05/2022 at 13:41, Vin Venal said:

Eg - old instruments which sound super warm and organic - that's because a load of high frequencies are being attenuated, you could get the same results with a modern sounding bright instrument and a good enough EQ

The 57-60 Les Pauls really created this one. However it is nothing to do with the age, the wood, it is the alnico pickups that slowly lost some of the initial magnetism giving a sweeter sound than a new humbucker.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back a few posts. I've always found Elvis's voice extremely mediocre. That's why there are so many Elvis impersonators around. Anyone can sing like Elvis.

 

I've never heard anyone do a decent reproduction of Orbison. He was far, far better than Elvis. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I despise the Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody'. Not so much because of the song but due to its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

 

(PS, Mr Brightside is the modern day equivalent)

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I despise the Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody'. Not so much because of the song but due to its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

 

(PS, Mr Brightside is the modern day equivalent)

 

You could probably include Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs in that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Would it be an unpopular opinion to say that commercial country music blows? Possibly not

Assuming that blows means the same as sucks then you could leave out 'country' from that statement and still be correct.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Assuming that blows means the same as sucks then you could leave out 'country' from that statement and still be correct.

 

 

I think commercial country music is a particular type of terrible with not a single acceptable song.

Commercial rock has the odd good song and all pop is commercial by definition but theres the odd acceptable song.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody

 

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs

Another awful one for me to add to those is Mustang Sally :facepalm:  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

 

Wonderwall. [email protected]@king Wonderwall

Nope. 'Don't look back in anger'. Lagered lads singing "So-oooo Sally can wait, she sumfink or other, mutter mutter [cue: gap while waiting for the bit they know], but don't look back in anger, I 'eard you say'. While waving a can

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes indeed fkin Wonderwall, chant along dreck for football fans, which leads me to ShBritpop, a low in pop music history if ever, partly due it's association with Tony Bliar and that pathetic Cool Britannia schlock . Pulp were good and Jarvis is a top geezer but the rest of it was unmitigated [email protected] If I ever wanted to be American it was then.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yes indeed fkin Wonderwall, chant along dreck for football fans, which leads me to ShBritpop, a low in pop music history if ever, partly due it's association with Tony Bliar and that pathetic Cool Britannia schlock . Pulp were good and Jarvis is a top geezer but the rest of it was unmitigated [email protected] If I ever wanted to be American it was then.

Elastica and Echobelly were good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Elastica and Echobelly were good.

Elastica = Wire plagiarism plus noxious Justine Frischmann 

Echobelly - 1 good song and a cute frontwoman.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like Phil Collins, even his work on the Brother Bear movie. 
 

I prefer the Load era Metallica albums to anything that has come since, mostly because I liked the slightly bluesier, alt-rock mixed with Sabbath and Skynyrd style and with less thrash metal. Granted a lot of the songs are generic but some of the tracks are very listenable mainstream rock.

 

I also really like the 1980s Fleetwood Mac albums when Buckingham and Nicks openly hated each other but seemed to keep on going purely for the money. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Elastica = Wire plagiarism plus noxious Justine Frischmann 

Echobelly - 1 good song and a cute frontwoman.

As a fan of Wire's early albums I fully concur there. Not an original idea in JF's head. Sonya Madan was the only reason I had any interest in Echobelly too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...