Why become a member? ×

When bands make movies...

MacDaddy

The Foo Fighters just released film, has been getting a bit of a slating by the critics. This shouldn't be surprising as it rarely bodes well when a band decide to make a film.

We're not talking about documentaries, or films they just appear in, but films in which the band star in and 'act'.

IMO Slade's In Flame was decent, and Hard Days Night had it's moments, but are your thoughts, good or bad about bands making films?

I thought Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster was by turns ridiculous and hilarious, in an unintentional Spinal Tap kinda way, but the all-time winner for a great band film has got to be The Story of Anvil...

• Like 1

The Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody got a massive slating too. It's almost a sign that it will do well when the critics pan 'em.. 48 industry awards in 2019, Box Office Gross $911 million. 

Just now, Dood said:

The Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody got a massive slating too. It's almost a sign that it will do well when the critics pan 'em.. 48 industry awards in 2019, Box Office Gross $911 million. 

(ok, so other than a very short hidden cameo, the band themselves didn't act in the film)

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I thought Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster was by turns ridiculous and hilarious, in an unintentional Spinal Tap kinda way, but the all-time winner for a great band film has got to be The Story of Anvil...

Documentaries though, not films in which the band are acting.

6 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Spinal Tap, the best documentary ever.

That Def Leppard biopic, can't remember its name, acting so bad it would make Isn Beale look convincing.

Spinal Tap don't count! 😆

I don't know the Def Leppard biopic. Is it the band acting in it?

The Great Rock n Roll Swindle featuring The Sex Pistols would have been a great film if they`d just had clips of the band playing and being interviewed and not the silly "I did everything, it was me, not the others" McLaren storyline.

My favourite is probably 'Rock n' Roll High School' with the Ramones.

It's basically a Ramones live gig with a teenage rebellion/high school comedy storyline loosely stitched around it, but it works superbly in a sort of cult classic drive in B movie sort of way.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I don't know the Def Leppard biopic. Is it the band acting in it?

Know, they don't - I should have read the thread title!

But it is so appalling its unreal.  If I recall correctly it was an American production with some awful accents and terrible translation jnto real English. I think at one poi t someone in the film refers to Yorkshire as Yorkshireland, and I don't think where were being ironic or cracking a joke.

The bit where the drummers arm falls off at 43 minutes or so is just hilarious. It shouldn't be, but only the Americans could make it that way...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

But it is so appalling its unreal.  If I recall correctly it was an American production with some awful accents and terrible translation jnto real English. I think at one poi t someone in the film refers to Yorkshire as Yorkshireland, and I don't think where were being ironic or cracking a joke.

The bit where the drummers arm falls off at 43 minutes or so is just hilarious. It shouldn't be, but only the Americans could make it that way...

Oh that is properly bad.

"I am an off duty policeman, may I be of some assistance!"

:lol:

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Oh, wow.

"I'm Peter File!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

If you watch the first 5 minutes or so, skip to the car crash, then skip to the Steve Clarke alcohol bit, that's quite a good wee film.  Rick Allen in the hospital bed looks a bit like Regan from "The Exorcist"😆

3 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

IMO Slade's In Flame was decent, and Hard Days Night had it's moments, but are your thoughts, good or bad about bands making films?

Me and my mate sat in the cinema and watched “Slade in Flame” on repeat. That’s when we decided to form our first band. Happy memories 

• Like 2