Why become a member? ×

( Unexpected) NBD: Hohner The Jack- a schoolboy crush

Old Horse Murphy

I was on a business trip near Swansea today and as I sometimes do, decided to see if there was anything for sale in the local area. There was; a super condition Hohner Jack Bass from 1988 that was virtually on my way home. I of course had to go and see it as I'd lusted after one of these for the best part of 30 years. 

Where I was at school, just over the other side of a dual carriageway that backed on to to our sports fields was a guitar shop where I spent many a lunch break. They had a Jack Bass in a dark natural finish that I used to make a beeline for every time I went there. God it was lovely and I always dreamt of owning it one day but it was way out of my price range (which was approximately £0-£2). 

This would've been the early 90's I guess and I've held a candle for these Jacks ever since, so when I saw this one advertised for a very good price in remarkable condition with (unbelievably) a working preamp and (even more unbelievably) a battery cover I was caught hook line and sinker. It even came with a case. The only thing that could've made it better for me was if it were in the dark natural finish. 

It needs a set up and a new set of strings but it's fabulous. It's one of least expensive basses I've ever bought but definitely in my top three basses I've always wanted to own. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's my number one bass I always wanted, sentimental fool that I am. 

04EA65E8-9611-4543-B23C-3FE6B30C8591.jpeg

57B210FB-5ECE-45CC-BDEB-7E8BBCEE1A23.jpeg

C74AEAAB-4351-4EB2-A4D4-644D3050CA47.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 28

10 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I fancied one too back in the 80’s but never bought one. I don’t think I still hanker for one now. 

Likewise, always thought they were great looking basses and whenever one comes up for sale here, the GAS creeps in momentarily (same as when a Westone Thunder comes up!).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Likewise, always thought they were great looking basses and whenever one comes up for sale here, the GAS creeps in momentarily (same as when a Westone Thunder comes up!).

I do like a good Westone! Aria Cat 2's also send me back to that era and make my heart beat just a little faster. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I do like a good Westone! Aria Cat 2's also send me back to that era and make my heart beat just a little faster. 

Not sure about the Cat 2, but a nice SB sets the heart a flutter, especially if it's a twin pickup model.

• Like 1

Awesome find! I hope it's as good as you remember it :)

I had a B2A for a short while, only sold it because a gear on one of the cam axles of my previous car broke, and I had to finance another car. It was a great bass, I liked the Select by EMG pickups a lot more than I expected I would and the preamp was super agressive. Lovely bass, very punchy. Weird ergonomics, I bet the Jack is even nicer playability-wise!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Awesome find! I hope it's as good as you remember it :)

I had a B2A for a short while, only sold it because a gear on one of the cam axles of my previous car broke, and I had to finance another car. It was a great bass, I liked the Select by EMG pickups a lot more than I expected I would and the preamp was super agressive. Lovely bass, very punchy. Weird ergonomics, I bet the Jack is even nicer playability-wise!

Thanks. I've just been playing it but really need to wait until I restring it. I've just put in on a strap and it definitely wants to be worn at a jaunty angle but it definitely feels a lot more comfortable (and natural) than a B2A which always sat out a bit too far to the left for me. 

That's quite a similar story to mine - there was a guitar shop near my school, snd we'd pop in during "free" periods. They had a black Jack Bass in the window.

Sadly, I never got to try it out, and I've never actually played one since. 

This would have been around 1997. I try not to think of the Wal Pro that hung on the wall, unwanted and unloved, for £450...

• Like 1

I had one of these for a while. It was a very nice bass. Not quite as nice as my Westone Quantum, but better than some far, far more expensive basses I’ve owned. In fact I once (late ‘80s?) tried every bass in A1 Music in Manchester, which at the time had a lot of gear, and a Hohner Jack came out tops. 

• Like 1

I had one in the finish you sought - I accidentally killed the preamp so got a passive loom.  Worked really well.  So comfortable to play with such a perfect balance.  I eventually decided the neck was too skinny for me so sold it.  Maybe I should have kept hold of it 🤪

• Like 1

On 04/03/2022 at 17:04, Rich said:

"everything is working correctly, as it should"

"Electronics – Passive"

Errm, really?

Oops just a typo on the listing, nothing to panic about! It is of course active this one. Just updated! Thanks for pointing out @Rich

And yes everything works correctly

Will 

BassBros 

• Like 1

I took it to rehearsal on Monday night after fitting one of those new-fangled string adaptors to it so I could string it with my favourite Ernie Ball Super Slinky roundwounds. It was supposed to be for a bit of fun and nostalgia but I ended up using it all night. 

The active preamp is a monster and it gets very bassy very quickly. I loved it. 

It needs a good set up and a bit of a clean but it's absolutely fantastic and I had a great time. The 24 frets threw me a bit but nobody seemed to notice :)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've lusted after a Jack for years but saw the prices rising and rising...then I saw an eBay special, a little dirty with no rear cover but an intact battery box and in good paint shape for sub 200 pounds...and bought it! Made a new rear cover (means I don't have the serial number, so I can't date it), electronics didn't function (passive only) and neck was max'ed out truss rod wise. One John east pre-amp and a heated neck adjustment later...I LOVE it!!!! It's so flexible with the pre-amp and plays as well as I thought something as wonderful as it is should. I've got a B-Bass (fretless, with proper EMG pickups and preamp), L75 (guitar), J-Bass fretted and J-Bass fretless, so I've loved Hohners for a while, but man these are good basses. Congrats on your purchase!!! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1