Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender American Pro ii Dark Night Limited Edition Jazz Bass

Old Horse Murphy

So I took this today as part for a deal from one of my favourite independent guitar shops for my Thunderbird, Geddy Lee Jazz and some guitar bits I moved on. It's a new 2021 American Pro ii Jazz Bass in Dark Night but as it has a rosewood fingerboard rather than the standard maple board, it's a limited edition run. I much prefer rosewood boards on Jazz basses, so it suits me just fine. 

It's a lovely weight (8lbs 14oz) and plays really well. I'm not really a Jazz Bass fan as the ergonomics don't work for me but it was a compelling deal. I won't unwrap it as such as I may well move it on imminently.  It's a very striking colour scheme and the built quality is excellent as it has been on the other American Pro II's I've seen. 

728EBE25-A754-41C5-BC2A-D975BAA95983.jpeg

B3C4E7AF-B461-41C3-942B-45D2FE376223.jpeg

E5C14F52-F431-4C30-93B6-C5C7A06E7BA7.jpeg

B6D23578-8731-4C89-988B-150DAB883ABA.jpeg

DDA3A485-C51D-4287-B663-96EE1678783C.jpeg

974DE736-B218-47EB-861B-EE2BEF16D3F4.jpeg

05DB40CD-F487-46E8-8158-39A4E41967F7.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 23

11 hours ago, theyellowcar said:

Nice. How does the finish look in person? It looks like blue-to-black burst in the pictures, but how does it respond to light?

It's even better in the flesh and is quite difficult to photograph. It's basically a reverse sunburst and is more of a lighter blue to a darker blue colour. 

The neck is gorgeous and the rosewood is a lovely dark colour. It's a lovely bass and is as good as any Jazz I've played and the build quality is superb. I'm still not a massive Jazz bass fan though and expecting it to be anything other than a Jazz bass would be unfair. 

I'll persevere a bit longer I think but I'm not sure it's a keeper. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The thing I want to know is you traded all that stuff for that?

They cost around £1700 plus new so not far off what the 2 basses were being sold for. I’m a bit gutted as keep hankering after a Thunderbird and was trying to decide whether to sell my MIJ Geddy Lee with Status Graphite neck to fund it but was too slow …. 

That’s a nice looking Jazz though.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I've wanted one of these, in this colour for a while... I tried a white one in a shop but it was all top end and no bass or mid. Hope that was just a poor setup and a bit of a dud bass... How is this soundwise?

I've only played it for a short while but it actually sounds quite bassy to me. I'll take it to rehearsal on Monday to try it at a bit higher volume but it certainly didn't sound thin. 

I don't mind the sound of Jazzes on their own, it's as part of the overall mix that I find it's a bit lacking to my ears. It will be interesting to see how I fare with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I've only played it for a short while but it actually sounds quite bassy to me. I'll take it to rehearsal on Monday to try it at a bit higher volume but it certainly didn't sound thin. 

I don't mind the sound of Jazzes on their own, it's as part of the overall mix that I find it's a bit lacking to my ears. It will be interesting to see how I fare with it. 

I tried one in that exact colour but ended up going for the ultra instead. I certainly didn’t find it lacking bottom end either. Build quality is superb and the colour is very popular so should be easy to move on if you choose to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great looking bass. Congrats 👍 I had the P bass twin. Sounded and looked great. Very nice neck profile too. Only sold it as I got an Ernie Ball Cutlass and both basses were sonically in the same ballpark (pun intended ;- ) I decided to keep the Cutlass and sell the Pro II. I think it sold in one or two days and I hope the new owner is very happy with it! 

• Like 1

Just now, fretmeister said:

That is a lovely finish. Quite innovative for Fender too!

According to the guy at Guitarguitar in Birmingham when I was looking at them they were selling as many in that colour as all the other colours put together. Nice to see Fender being a bit braver with the colour options.

• Like 5