Why become a member? ×

What was the last rig you recorded with?

Aliwobble

The last recording I did was for an R&B, Americana, blues band.

I used my Mike Lull PJ5 with TI flats and a lump of foam, through an Aguilar TH500 DI'ed into Logic. What a great sound. Better than any of the bass sounds preloaded into Logic.

Fender Precision with fresh Warwick Red Label steel rounds, into a Tech21 Para Driver, into an Ashdown ABM600, connected to an Ashdown ABM410.

All eq was from the Para Driver, eq switched off on the ABM600, but the Valve Drive engaged and at noon.

Two feeds, one taken from the DI on the Para Driver, one from a mic on the 410, then blended, was about 60/40 DI/Mic. Sounded like this:

• Like 1

EBMM SR5 20th anni or an SR5 fretless DI'd into an RND Shelford Channel linked to an HX Stomp.

Before that it was a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro rack.

Been down the modelling rabbit-hole for a while now, haven't recorded with a stage "rig" for a decade.

Quite a lot of work in the mix, usually the UAD2 Distressor comp, or an LA2A limiter, a touch of Thermionic Culture Vulture and OXFR3d EQ for HPF and shaping.

Latest results here: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/newtonswake/non-est-deus-ex-machina

IMG_6376.jpeg

Edited by WinterMute
  • Like 1

I recorded 'Barracuda' a couple of weeks back and just went straight into my mate's Zoom desk using my JV Precision strung with TI Flats, with tone and volume fully open.    He can sort anything else out. :) 

[ramble]There was a story as to why my mate Andy (a drummer I had been in a band with for 5 years or so) and I decided to record 'Barracuda', other than it being a killer track.  Last summer I answered an ad for a start up classic rock band, the intention being for a bunch of retirees to get together once in a while, rehearse, maybe gig.  I asked Andy if he was interested and he was.  The guitar player managed to get a lady singer interested - she was a backing singer in his function band, and her partner was a keys player with backing vocals.  It all sounded very promising, especially when one of the first tunes to get discussed was Heart's 'Barracuda'.  The vocal for this is always going to be a tough call so to even suggest it kind of set out the stall. 

Or so I thought.  After many weeks delay for various reasons we had our first meet up - and the singer hadn't learnt 'Barracuda'.  In fact she hadn't learnt anything other than the tune she already knew.  Which was 'I Love Rock and Roll'.  Which I would have thought was about as easy as it gets but apparently caused this particular lady some problems with phrasing, despite reading it from an iPad.  Or perhaps because of it, I dont know.  And, to be honest, the guitarist didn't cut it either.  My mate and I graciously bowed out.

Having learnt 'Barracuda' we were keen not to waste it... but the vocals!  Andy had been in a band with a lady who had the chops but he hadn't seen her for some years.  He got in touch and she was keen, so that set that in motion.  Meanwhile he has a guitarist pal that he had contacted and he has just recorded the various guitar parts.  Just waiting on the vocals, which I am looking forward to hearing. [/ramble]

• Like 2

On 30/01/2022 at 03:29, Aliwobble said:

So recently it was my privilege to play on a friend’s recording.  This was my setup, and it sounded great!  Now show me yours...

E4ADEBE9-05FB-47A6-AF70-A0AAC98DD413.jpeg

Nice!

New recording rig, hoping to try tracking with it for the first time this week:

RecordingRack_22.thumb.JPG.aa050250c4936d4f93c6ff80d9dbcfc8.JPG

Probably with this Marco Bass, possibly with the whole bass rig too though:

MV4FL_HC74.thumb.png.e42637de1f8c1c36d826e31000364609.png

• Like 2

My preference, as the guy who has to put the mix together, is for the recorded sound to need as little work as possible at mixing time, but I guess I’m doing fairly old-school blues / rock / country style genres mostly.  These days I find myself preferring a mixed up cabinet over a DI; somehow it just seems to work better.

I've recorded with various studio rigs, my own rig, DI'd and blended signals of both. However, the revelation of the Tech 21 Sansamp VT bass pedal was a light bulb moment for me and I have done a few records / countless sessions with it. Unless I was told by the producer or the person who's project it was to do otherwise, it will always be my default.

IMG_0697.jpg.f7b7bc79be9085cf68f8e0b30c853a81.jpg

• Like 1

My band was recorded live, for The Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival, last June.

I'd just bought a Markbass CMD 121 which I took along and I played my MIJ Precision through it.

The Sound Engineer didn't use the DI, he just whacked a mic in front of it and got a great sound. 

On 02/02/2022 at 14:48, Cat Burrito said:

I've recorded with various studio rigs, my own rig, DI'd and blended signals of both. However, the revelation of the Tech 21 Sansamp VT bass pedal was a light bulb moment for me and I have done a few records / countless sessions with it. Unless I was told by the producer or the person who's project it was to do otherwise, it will always be my default.

IMG_0697.jpg.f7b7bc79be9085cf68f8e0b30c853a81.jpg

Is that the regular pedal version, without the XLR DI out? 

Mine was this:

im21000170661Ampeg_SVP-CL.jpg.b4d98b40b0d78f61cc412565cd040382.jpg

It's the Ampeg SVP-CL, and it's basically the preamp section of the SVT Classic in a 1HE rack unit with a Jensen transformer-balanced DI out that sounds great. My main preamp when playing live and rehearsing is the SVP-PRO, but the CL is quieter and cleaner and I like the more straightforward EQ. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...