Why become a member? ×

What was the first music you heard in 2022?

NancyJohnson

Afternoon and HNY.  This is a long one - for good reason - and a copy/repost from elsewhere here.  Seems an apt question to put to the masses.

Anyhow, wife put the radio on, first track for 2022 is/was the final 30 seconds of Le Freak by Chic

There's a story that springs to mind every time I hear this song, although I'd actually also say with some certainty that, like Stairway To Heaven, I've never heard it all the way through.

Back when all this was fields and I was in my teens, I played in a punk band called The Crime; I was in the 6th form at Strodes College, Egham, Surrey.  Strodes was ex-grammar, the only grammar school kids there though were about 40 of Egham's most gifted, the 6th form were a few hundred oiks.  I'd been approached by a couple of kids from the 5th year asking if I was the bass player they'd heard about ('I don't know, am I?'), at which point they told me they were playing the college's Valentine's disco three days time and could I play with them.  I declined, they asked me again later in the day, so I said yes, jammed with them the next day and did the gig the next night (Friday).  The Friday night arrived, I borrowed some khaki combats from my dad and tore up an old t-shirt; the main hall was rammed, the front half about 150 people dancing to music supplied by a local disco guy everyone knew as Fat Malcolm.  Back of the hall and outside maybe 200+ punks.  (I spoke to a mate earlier, he said there were loads outside too.)

A few minutes before our allotted showtime, we were already on stage, standing behind these big curtains (45 minutes of covers by 999, Pistols, Rich Kids etc.); Fat Malcolm is playing Le Freak and making a Tony Blackburn style comment about, 'This is Chic and Le Freak, after this live music from The Criiiiime!'.  Everything was live on stage as the chaos started.  I distinctly remember our singer shouting, 'We're already 'ere ain't we?' into a live mic, a power-chord ringing out and the drummer trying to climb up a fairly high riser after throwing the curtain opening switch (he was later berated by staff for unauthorized use of electronic equipment).  I peered through a crack in the curtain and witnessed the punk guys rushing to the stage, while the disco-dancers hi-jinked it to the to the back of the hall.  I glanced over to Fat Malcolm who was desperately trying to get the lids on his disco-twin decks while all manner of stuff was being thrown (and spat) at both him and us.  The stylus on one of the decks was skating across Le Freak under a hail of bottles and phlegm.  

I was laughing uncontrollably for 45 minutes; I knew right then that this was, after barely playing two years, my happy place and I'd always find happiness in music, whatever the genre.  I remember little of the gig aside from the sea of punks pogoing, gobbing and stage diving, wads of phlegm covering the stage and the singer.  At one point someone threw a Party Seven can (full of wee) that rose spinning and spraying.  Arching away, it sailed past me and hit the drummer full in the chest, knocking him off his riser.  We didn't miss a note.

So there you are.  While I've never actually heard Le Freak all the way through, but just a few bars of it remind me of this.

• Like 3

Footloose. Although technically I was playing it as well. This was the first song we did after the bells.

Rather than the dinner dance that we were booked for, the hotel modified the event to a sit down meal in the restuarant but it was the best that they could've done given the restriction currently in place. The first half was qute light as there were people still eating but we gave it plenty later on and finished with Uptown Funk to round off a really goog gig, all things considering

For the first song actually heard and not performing it would be Canned Heat by Jamiroquai in the car on the way home

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

Yves Carbonne, couldn’t find the track I was looking for n Spotify so found the video on a FB video.

https://www.facebook.com/yves.carbonne/videos/2574659846131178/?

that was the first by choice.

at the family gathering last night where I absolutely overdid things…it was some horrific modern pop stuff…which made me throw up in my mouth…

”N*****rs wishin' that the meow meow was a kissin' booth
Taste breakfast, lunch and gin and juice”

Utterly crass nonsense…

This stunning piece of classical music which was mentioned in an article in today's Times magazine. Came out in 2004 and was later apparently used in soundtrack of Shutter Island. Very beautiful indeed

Edited by Clarky

Radio alarm clock  flicked on this morning to Radio 2 and Sounds of the Sixties with Tony Blackburn playing The Marvelettes and Please Mr Postman. Not the worst thing likely to happen this year, I suspect!

Edited by TrevorR

8 hours ago, squire5 said:

Just listened to Ed Sheeran murder a beautiful song 'On Raglan Road' along with some daft bint who couldnt make up her mind whether to sing high or low (or in tune),on Hollands show.Give me strength!

She is Joy Crookes and her joining in was a last minute thing, without rehearsal except a run-through backstage.

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

She is Joy Crookes and her joining in was a last minute thing, without rehearsal except a run-through backstage.

I didn't even think she was that good in her own spot.But any Paddy,like meself,knows that the only man worthy of singing that song,was the late Luke Kelly of the Dubliiners