Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

Just realised that I'm 5 months in to a 2022 abstinence....quite accidentally actually haha.

Last purchase was a Sansamp back at the end of May.

I would have bought loads in that time tbf......but life has deemed otherwise.

Si

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2022 at 18:40, Merton said:

I failed months back. But I am now in a position of trying to consolidate a few things and not buy anything for 2023. Many people (for example @eude and @Quilly) have laughed at me about this proclamation. It’s probably true, if the Stoneham 100W project happens, but if it doesn’t, I am going to go the whole of 2023 without buying anything. Honest 😀

If you sell that shorty fretless surely that's worth positive gear credits ?? 

2 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

How is that even possible?

Mostly by channelling my inner Scottish frugality - "I'm nae paying that!" and staying the F away from eBay and the sale forums here.  Lego also helped pass the time and soothe that need to collect something. 

That and a very generous wife gifting me a bass in August to assuage the withdrawl symptoms ;)

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Mostly by channelling my inner Scottish frugality - "I'm nae paying that!" and staying the F away from eBay and the sale forums here.  Lego also helped pass the time and soothe that need to collect something. 

That and a very generous wife gifting me a bass in August to assuage the withdrawl symptoms ;)

I hope you’re not building a bass with Lego. ;) 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Ooft, 2 weeks to go, possibly the most dangerous two weeks of the whole year.  I'm still in.

Who's still in, and who's feeling twitchy?

I'm still in, just. Nearly succumbed to the temptation of a five-string Precision a couple of months back, but managed to resist. Not sure about next year though, as I'm thinking about replacing my multi-FX unit with individual pedals...

21 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

I'm still in, just. Nearly succumbed to the temptation of a five-string Precision a couple of months back, but managed to resist. Not sure about next year though, as I'm thinking about replacing my multi-FX unit with individual pedals...

Which multi are you using? Just asking for a friend...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Which multi are you using? Just asking for a friend...

A Boss ME-50B. Nice bit of gear with lots of options, but I'm only using a few of them. I think I can save quite a bit of space by switching to individual pedals that make the noises I actually use.

38 minutes ago, ezbass said:

With my recent purchase of an EUB, I rather feel that I might be game on for 2023, in fact, there could be a net reduction next year. However, the new shorty HB, Mustang-alikes might put paid to that. 😬

Next year I will not be participating. One year off is plenty. Got plans anyway - want to make my Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass passive again and add a 10 way switch to my Reverend Triad. And don't be surprised if an old school reverse P Yamaha BB makes an appearance...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

A Boss ME-50B. Nice bit of gear with lots of options, but I'm only using a few of them. I think I can save quite a bit of space by switching to individual pedals that make the noises I actually use.

Maybe worth thinking about a Zoom B1-4, and save yourself a LOT of money? They're amazing value! Think I saw one in the FS recently. And then get a few dedicated pedals for the fx you use a lot to combine with it. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe worth thinking about a Zoom B1-4, and save yourself a LOT of money? They're amazing value! Think I saw one in the FS recently. And then get a few dedicated pedals for the fx you use a lot to combine with it. 

Wow, that does look like a handy bit of gear! Not buying until next year though - I don't want to fall at the last fence!

• Like 1

Yeah fair. Well I find them so useful I've actually got three! If there's not one still available in the FS in the NY you'd be welcome to have one of my battalion on loan to try out / to buy outright if you like it. It will come fully loaded with 40 Al Krow patches, which can be easily factory reset, haha ! I'm sure I'll be able to manage with "only" two of them 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

So I know for the 2023 thread, would receiving a bass that I've already ordered and fully paid for (and really ought to be here by now) be permitted?

Yes, if it's paid for in 2022 it counts as 2022 intake, regardless of actual delivery date.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Merry Christmas everyone.  A week to go - how are we all doing?  I'm sitting on my hands!

My hands are occupied with the bass that I bought in May to temporarily replace my other bass, while it was in for repair...

I had a successful 2021, and will try again in 2023. 

• Like 2