Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

59 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Some strings, which aren't really gear I classify as sundries, and I bought some fret wraps....which I don't like so won't use so don't count either 😁

That's it.

So if I don't play any of the three Precisions I've bought recently, or any of the three ABM combos, it won't count against me either?? 🤪

9 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

So if I don't play any of the three Precisions I've bought recently, or any of the three ABM combos, it won't count against me either?? 🤪

In that situation you've got bigger issues going on than GAS! 

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

In that situation you've got bigger issues going on than GAS! 

I had some space and spare money after a clear out of random basses over the last year or two, so filled the empty spaces with Precisions. The amps had to be bought as they were so cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

Given it's nearly 4pm on the last day of June and it's highly unlikely I'm going to be buying another bass in the next few hours, I think I can safely say I've managed 6 months in this challenge 🥳.

The last bass I bought was way back in November last year, so I'm doing far better than I thought I would.

That said, I'm almost certainly not going to make it to the end of the year as I've put my name down for two new builds.

No money has changed hands of course, or that would see me out of the door straight away, but I do have two incoming.

The first will almost certainly be in the next few months. The second one will easily be well into next year, so that's the 2023 challenge stuffed as well.

Good luck to anyone who is still in.

• Like 6

Well done on making it this far.  I'm still in - my little wobble came to nothing and now my mind is clear.  I would like to see this year out, save a bit of money then early next year get on the case for a Yamaha BB with reverse P pickup - old school like a BB300/400/800/1200/VI.  If the saving goes well then I'll treat myself to a BB1200 for a bit of neck through action, but I would be happy with any of them.

Also giving some serious thought to re-passifying my Epiphone Les Paul Standard.  Currently looking at guitar humbucker sized pickups like TV Jones or Thunderbucker, but I'm sure there are others out there.

Not buying... just scheming...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, the inevitable happened. I managed to resist it when I first played it in April, but it came up for sale today and I am now officially out.

Six months is a pretty good effort for me, so I take some comfort in that 😂.

F86E2BFE-054B-436F-8490-A4BDFFB44A4C.jpeg

5D4C894E-A352-4D32-B67F-429DB026AADC.jpeg

One of us,  one of us.

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2022 at 18:23, Ricky Rioli said:

I just bought a set of strings* I don't have a bass for. Oops.

*760fm

On 12/06/2022 at 08:29, FinnDave said:

Good reason to buy a new bass - otherwise you'll lose money on the strings!

20220704_180626-01.thumb.jpeg.9483155e99dede2def2c9e5c4998b500.jpeg

Guess I'm out, with knobs on

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

20220704_180626-01.thumb.jpeg.9483155e99dede2def2c9e5c4998b500.jpeg

Guess I'm out, with knobs on

Oh wow that's really nice! is it a G&L? or have i misidentified the bridge perhaps...

Edit: any chance of a NBD thread on this? genuinely interested in this , particularly this colour combination 

Edited by Thump
Details!
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thump said:

Oh wow that's really nice! is it a G&L? or have i misidentified the bridge perhaps...

Yes, a G&L SB-1. Not quite a P bass — the pickup is MFD not trad alnico, and also is placed a little bit nearer the bridge.

Indian Rosewood fretboard

quartersawn neck

1⅝" nut

9½" radius

empress body (it weighs 7 lbs 2 oz)

tort pickguard

Pharaoh Gold Firemist

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9528ab1b0f7fe2d7d943

Every knows the MFD for being incredibly hot and aggressive, but I was convinced warm and rich would also be available, if hard to find. It was, and it was. 

The neck is .... beyond my previous experience. I've been reminded of that Entwistle quote about liking the action beneath the frets.

For some reason I don't understand, two different sets of fairly stiff 45-105 hexcore nickel-plated steel strings have felt a bit underwhelming on it - it feels like the bass is demanding higher tension. I've been playing it the last couple of days with the Roto Bass 45-105 uptuned to F Standard, just to give it something to chew on. Because the action is so low, my left hand is finding the addition tension no bother. Hopefully I'll find the same once the 49-109 La Bella flats are fitted next week 😬 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

For some reason I don't understand, two different sets of fairly stiff 45-105 hexcore nickel-plated steel strings have felt a bit underwhelming on it - it feels like the bass is demanding higher tension. I've been playing it the last couple of days with the Roto Bass 45-105 uptuned to F Standard, just to give it something to chew on. Because the action is so low, my left hand is finding the addition tension no bother. Hopefully I'll find the same once the 49-109 La Bella flats are fitted next week 😬 

I have a similar effect with my G&Ls.  TI flats on the SB-1, the mutts nuts, current set 11 years old and going strong.  TI flats on the L1505 just seem floppy but I keep persevering and try to use a lighter right hand.  Defies all logic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 3below said:

TI flats on the L1505 just seem floppy but I keep persevering and try to use a lighter right hand

When I first started playing it, I was getting this weird ache in my right hand. Eventually I worked out that because everything was so easy-breezy, my right hand was overworking, just trying to get some intensity into the sound. Once I uptuned, adding 20-25 lbs to the tension, the bass felt properly engaged, and my right hand could go back to its usual mode of just tickling the strings. 

• 4 weeks later...

I need an adjudication. 

I have acquired a bass.  My wife bought me it while we were on holiday - she was aware of my participation in this thread and offered to buy me a bass if I found one I liked. 

Am I still in?  I think I'm out because it was not a 100% surprise and I had a say in what the bass was.  It was 100% lovely of her to do that though!

I await your decision...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I need an adjudication...

The Original Rules (followed on year after year since...)...

Off the back of this becoming more popular than I had anticipated....here are the RULES:

Tier 1 Challenge
During the calendar year of 2019 (01/01/19 - 31/12/19):
- No bass gear purchases/trades whatsoever, be that amps, pedals, basses, accessories.

Tier 2 challenge (should you play other instruments, engage in music production etc)
- As above, but extended to your other musical gear

Allowances in both tiers:
- Strings (sticks, skins, reeds etc)
- Maintenance/setups that only involve work on existing aspects of your bass (ie no purchasing a preamp to add to it)
- If something breaks through no unusual intervention of your own, and is unable to be repaired, you may replace it.
- Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted.
- If you have purchased something in 2018, you are able to take delivery of it within 2019.
- If you have put down a deposit on something before committing to this, which then requires a final payment within 2019, that single payment permitted. However you may wish to explore whether you can pay the balance early (if you're a little OCD like me).

Soooooo... Guilty, or Not Guilty..? :/