Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

25 minutes ago, YGBASS said:

It seems to be nice ! But I'm sad for the "made in china" :( :( 

Why? Almost everything is made in China thesedays from your phone, computer, tv etc… And even if it said “Made in the UK”, almost all of the component parts would have - you’ve guessed it - been made in China anyway…

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, YGBASS said:

@Merton yes , I know that , and the china can build very good quality , but at the start , a real TRACE ELLIOT is made in UK  .  The famous "things were better before"

Before Gibson and Peavey "TE" products . 

From what I can tell, Fred, the guy from Peavey who's been soliciting opinions from the bass community, is a Trace fanboy, and seems very motivated to keep his fellow Trace fans happy. 

Interestingly, he's also been soliciting opinions on what features should be on a new version of the Cirrus bass - that I'd like to see. 

As Merton said, almost all the components in most electronic devices are made in China these days. All that's different is who is bolting and soldering it all together. The important thing isn't where it's made, it's who's doing the quality control. Peavey have a pretty good track record of reliability with their China-made gear, so the new Trace gear should be no different. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

From what I can tell, Fred, the guy from Peavey who's been soliciting opinions from the bass community, is a Trace fanboy, and seems very motivated to keep his fellow Trace fans happy. 

Interestingly, he's also been soliciting opinions on what features should be on a new version of the Cirrus bass - that I'd like to see. 

As Merton said, almost all the components in most electronic devices are made in China these days. All that's different is who is bolting and soldering it all together. The important thing isn't where it's made, it's who's doing the quality control. Peavey have a pretty good track record of reliability with their China-made gear, so the new Trace gear should be no different. 

Agree on all points. Fred seems very, very enthusiastic about this and really believes they’ve nailed the old school Trace tone. I really hope I can try one out at some point because it ticks all the boxes for me - everything I need and nothing I don’t. Would have to be bloody amazing to dethrone my Glockenklang mind you …

Do we really need thousands of watts in the realistic world of actual gigs? I have never understood why that is important..

A Volvo V40 has the same engine as a Ford focus... So what!? .. I personally prefer the Swedish take on it though!

I like the original Elf head.. tried the 2x8 cab too..was really impressed, it's good, well made gear..

I have the Elf head as a back up...

I use Aguilar & GK as my main kit these days but very impressed with the TC elf stuff...

... incidentally, I have been fond of Peavey gear too have used much also over a 30 year+  career in bassing! 

Edited by bottomfeed
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Merton said:

Agree on all points. Fred seems very, very enthusiastic about this and really believes they’ve nailed the old school Trace tone. I really hope I can try one out at some point because it ticks all the boxes for me - everything I need and nothing I don’t. Would have to be bloody amazing to dethrone my Glockenklang mind you …

I play to be like an old grouchy ! But it's only for the joke :D 

More serious , I share your opinion and hope to try this gear . The more important is not the country of made but who thought the electric diagram , whitch defined the technical spécifications and the quality of components . The result and the bassist playing pleasure depend of this points .   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrtcat said:

I just can't get on with Ashdown amps. I really wish I did but I just don't like the core sound and I don't like the EQ section. Pity because the customer service is excellent.

Agreed entirely. Well, the EQ section seems ok, but it's the core sound. I've tried to like them, I really have, but I just... don't.

11 hours ago, Merton said:

I really hope I can try one out at some point because it ticks all the boxes for me - everything I need and nothing I don’t. Would have to be bloody amazing to dethrone my Glockenklang mind you …

And also agreed entirely here too. Although in my case it's got to better my Shuttle 9.2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

it's got to better my Shuttle 9.2.

Those things are quite the GAS-preventers. For pretty much any new amp that catches my eye, I can say "Yeah, but it's not as {x} as my Shuttle".
Sadly it's no defence against buying pedals 😆

• Haha 2

On 23/02/2022 at 19:52, mrtcat said:

I just can't get on with Ashdown amps. I really wish I did but I just don't like the core sound and I don't like the EQ section. Pity because the customer service is excellent.

The newer ones such as the ABM600 and the RM range I find are much more flexible than their earlier amps. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merton said:

I really really really dont understand the lightweight head and heavy cab set up. Makes zero sense to me.

I'd have understood doing a 2x10 at 15kg ish, so you a heavy ish 4x10 set up, but not a stand alone 30kg cab, and 3kg head. Makes no sense.

And 1499? Gees.

Edited by la bam

5 minutes ago, la bam said:

I really really really dont understand the lightweight head and heavy cab set up. Makes zero sense to me.

I'd have understood doing a 2x10 at 15kg ish, so you a heavy ish 4x10 set up, but not a stand alone 30kg cab, and 3kg head. Makes no sense.

And 1499? Gees.

Agreed. The cab is clearly aimed at the pro market where roadies don’t care!

Seems a total misread of the cab market to me too. Amp looks like it ticked all the boxes moving along from Elf but 210's in the style of the 88's was all they needed to add to the cab line.

I still can't get over the amp knobs. Backlit with green suns looks snazzy in good light but impossible to read the dot in dim stage light.

• Like 2

So it will probably be £1500 for a made in China 4x10 cab that weighs 76lbs.

A bit disappointing. That is a boutique Mesa/Barefaced/Vanderkley/Bergantino type price but with old school weight and probably lacking the same levels of QC.

A pass for me I am afraid. 

Amp still looks nice though.

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

Its a shame they didn't base the preamp on the Transit B ( minus its overdrive and added a chorus ).

A light weight cabinet with a 15, an 8 and a tweeter would have been cool, or a stack with a single 15, a pair of 10s and a bright box even better.

The amp looks nice but the only thing that sets it apart from an oversaturated market is the pretty lights.

1 hour ago, evan47 said:

a stack with a single 15, a pair of 10s and a bright box even better.

They did that in a single cab with the BFC, back when heavy cabs were still cool. It didn't exactly fly out of the doors. Neither did the bright box IIRC. I don't think people want massive stacks any more.

I agree that a FRFR 15+8+HF would have been really nice.

1 hour ago, evan47 said:

The amp looks nice but the only thing that sets it apart from an oversaturated market is the pretty lights.

And the dual band compressor. And, hopefully *keeps fingers tightly crossed* some Trace DNA...

1 hour ago, evan47 said:

Its a shame they didn't base the preamp on the Transit B ( minus its overdrive and added a chorus ).

From what I can see, the only differences between the B Transit and this new boy are a mid control, a tuner and the overdrive. The mid would have been nice, but the other two are not things I'd want in an amp anyway.

Edited by Rich