Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

I saw that Trace Elliot had stuck a 5-6 video on Facebook providing an overview of the amp and the 4x10 cab. I'm at work and can't provide a link but it was vaguely interesting. However not much sound samples beyond the standard 'slap in the key of E' stuff and no demonstrations of the EQ or compression. 

It does look nice, however I did roll my eyes at some of the marketing talk. The shots at competitors using 'off the shelf parts' (i.e. the ICE power modules used on many bass amps) was a bit amusing. Trace Elliot may not cut any corners in terms of the design if they do indeed everything from the ground up for specific use for bass guitar (if Peavey have designed their own bespoke power amp then great). However, production of the amps and cabs takes place in China and the items are priced higher than a lot of the boutique USA amps who manage to keep costs low on account of using said off the shelf parts. At a probable price of £1500 or so, it is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a class D amp.  

I'm still interested, but given that I can get a Genzler, Trickfish, Bergantino, Aguilar or Mesa (when they appear in the UK) for probably less, the TE 1200 would need to be one hell of an amp. However, the possibility that it very well could be has still got me interested. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

Since their marketing slighted competing products using ICEPower modules, let me provide an alternate perspective.

Some designers (me included) use ICEPower parts because of their long established history of both high performance and high reliability. The modules are typically supported for many more years than proprietary designs. This means that customers have more options for servicing their amps later in their service live.

For example, power modules are still available (I stock large quantities too) and currently being manufactured for every class D amp that I have designed, going back 20 years. This is generally not true for proprietary designs. 

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

Since their marketing slighted competing products using ICEPower modules, let me provide an alternate perspective.

Some designers (me included) use ICEPower parts because of their line established history of both high performance and high reliability. The modules are typically supported for many more years than proprietary designs. This means that customers have more options for servicing their amps later in their service live.

For example, power modules are still available (I stock large quantities too) and currently being manufactured for every class D amp that I have designed, going back 20 years. This is generally not true for proprietary designs. 

That's very interesting.

Does that mean that, with advice a Class D based amp could potentially be upgraded?

Newer modules are way more efficient and potent as far as I can tell...

7 hours ago, thodrik said:

I'm still interested, but given that I can get a Genzler, Trickfish, Bergantino, Aguilar or Mesa (when they appear in the UK) for probably less, the TE 1200 would need to be one hell of an amp. However, the possibility that it very well could be has still got me interested. 

Likewise. I love the old Trace gear, the GP12SMX is still my favourite preamp of all time, and I desperately want this new TE amp to be completely brilliant. It'll have to be, to a} replace my current Shuttle 9.2 and b} be worth the likely pricetag.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rich said:

Likewise. I love the old Trace gear, the GP12SMX is still my favourite preamp of all time, and I desperately want this new TE amp to be completely brilliant. It'll have to be, to a} replace my current Shuttle 9.2 and b} be worth the likely pricetag.

I used a Trace non-stop from the age of 12 to 22. It was eventually replaced by a Mesa Walkabout which has been my main amp since 2009. I even had an GP12 SMX amp for years but sold it because by the age of 30 I was just fed up of the graphic and pre-shape. Kinda regret selling it now though.

My only Trace Elliot product now is the V6.

A ‘drive’ feature on the new amp is one thing I would have liked to have been included, but I suppose that isn’t in keeping with the classic clean Trace sound.

2 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Some designers (me included) use ICEPower parts because of their line established history of both high performance and high reliability. The modules are typically supported for many more years than proprietary designs. This means that customers have more options for servicing their amps later in their service live.

Fair points. I suspect a Peavey utilise the same designs as their pro audio power amps etc, so the video is just marketing-speak, but even then the economies of scale are vastly different from the ICE range.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

It'll be out of date by the time it lands in the UK.

It will also be downgraded to 800 watts, feature only a single band compression, have one mid control and the  footswitch will be an optional extra at the cost of £250.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eude said:

That's very interesting.

Does that mean that, with advice a Class D based amp could potentially be upgraded?

Newer modules are way more efficient and potent as far as I can tell...

Not so much upgraded as repaired/ replaced. One of the challenges in all amps is insuring a source of parts necessary for repairs 5, 10 and 20 years down the road. In some cases it may not be worthwhile to repair a 20 year old, but in most cases when the part is available it’s cost effective to do so. If the part is proprietary and unavailable then you don’t have that choice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2022 at 22:05, Russ said:

I'd be surprised if they did, but it's certainly possible. Most of the variance of Class D amps comes from the preamp. I've had an Ashdown RM-800 and a Mesa WD-800, which I believe share almost identical power amps, but sound completely different. 

Hi Russ you’ve mentioned two amps I’m interested in there ( rm 800 wd 800 ) what are the main differences in tone and volume would you say 

best regards 

Stuart 

On 27/08/2022 at 17:09, Smiles said:

Hi Russ you’ve mentioned two amps I’m interested in there ( rm 800 wd 800 ) what are the main differences in tone and volume would you say 

best regards 

Stuart 

Hi Stuart. The RM-800 sounds like an Ashdown - a little more vintage in character than most Class D amps, slightly darker and rounder. Very loud. Lots of built-in gizmos (compressor, distortion, octaver). One of the best all-rounders I've owned, if I'm honest. Tempted to get another one (the newer Evo II version). 

The Mesa WD-800 is modelled after the Walkabout head from 10 years ago or so, with the same EQ section. It's got a very nice valve preamp which adds some tasty richness and a little bit of additional harmonic complexity to the tone (although it can add a lot of additional hair if you turn the input gain up high enough). Very versatile EQ with sweepable frequencies, and a great low-pass filter that helps all that power actually make it out of your speakers by rolling off the very lowest frequencies that your speakers might not be able to reproduce. Loud, but the RM-800 seems louder (despite both technically having the same output) - it clips out a little when turned right up. I think there's more usable volume with the Ashdown. 

I like the Mesa for the tone - very detailed and flexible. I like the Ashdown for the punch (it has lots, especially if you use the compressor). Compared to the new Trace, the Trace is cleaner, louder (1200W) and, well, sounds like a Trace, with that big wide open midrange. It's also got the dual-band compressor, which is great - turn it up high on the lows and down on the highs and you've got that Tony Levin tone right there. Maybe a bit less detailed than the Mesa, with a less versatile EQ, but if you want that Trace tone, it's got it in spades.

Going to give the new Gallien-Krueger Fusion 1200S a test drive soon and see how that stacks up against the others. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Russ said:

Hi Stuart. The RM-800 sounds like an Ashdown - a little more vintage in character than most Class D amps, slightly darker and rounder. Very loud. Lots of built-in gizmos (compressor, distortion, octaver). One of the best all-rounders I've owned, if I'm honest. Tempted to get another one (the newer Evo II version). 

The Mesa WD-800 is modelled after the Walkabout head from 10 years ago or so, with the same EQ section. It's got a very nice valve preamp which adds some tasty richness and a little bit of additional harmonic complexity to the tone (although it can add a lot of additional hair if you turn the input gain up high enough). Very versatile EQ with sweepable frequencies, and a great low-pass filter that helps all that power actually make it out of your speakers by rolling off the very lowest frequencies that your speakers might not be able to reproduce. Loud, but the RM-800 seems louder (despite both technically having the same output) - it clips out a little when turned right up. I think there's more usable volume with the Ashdown. 

I like the Mesa for the tone - very detailed and flexible. I like the Ashdown for the punch (it has lots, especially if you use the compressor). Compared to the new Trace, the Trace is cleaner, louder (1200W) and, well, sounds like a Trace, with that big wide open midrange. It's also got the dual-band compressor, which is great - turn it up high on the lows and down on the highs and you've got that Tony Levin tone right there. Maybe a bit less detailed than the Mesa, with a less versatile EQ, but if you want that Trace tone, it's got it in spades.

Going to give the new Gallien-Krueger Fusion 1200S a test drive soon and see how that stacks up against the others. 

That’s really useful information very much appreciated Russ 👍at the moment I’m using the Ashdown ABM evo iv 600 going through an Ampeg pro neo 410 and pro neo  210 and I’m certainly loving it , very deep punchy and loud , but interested in a class D amp so have been thinking of Ampeg svt 7 pro / Ashdown rm 800 evo ii / Mesa , have you had any experience with the Ampeg svt 7 pro 

best regards 

Stuart 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smiles said:

That’s really useful information very much appreciated Russ 👍at the moment I’m using the Ashdown ABM evo iv 600 going through an Ampeg pro neo 410 and pro neo  210 and I’m certainly loving it , very deep punchy and loud , but interested in a class D amp so have been thinking of Ampeg svt 7 pro / Ashdown rm 800 evo ii / Mesa , have you had any experience with the Ampeg svt 7 pro 

best regards 

Stuart 

I had a SVT-7 about 10 years ago. Great tone, super-loud, and very, very Ampeg (ie, a little bit crunchy and hairy at all volumes).

However, it was massively unreliable. Crapped out during the first song at a gig once (had to play the rest of the show playing through the PA). Got it fixed, sold it, and immediately bought the RM-800. I had a tour coming up and needed something that would go the distance (thankfully, the RM did!).

Supposedly Ampeg have now resolved the design defect that made them so unreliable, but once bitten, twice shy. Not sure I'm going to ever trust Ampeg again. 

Edited by Russ

4 hours ago, Russ said:

I had a SVT-7 about 10 years ago. Great tone, super-loud, and very, very Ampeg (ie, a little bit crunchy and hairy at all volumes).

However, it was massively unreliable. Crapped out during the first song at a gig once (had to play the rest of the show playing through the PA). Got it fixed, sold it, and immediately bought the RM-800. I had a tour coming up and needed something that would go the distance (thankfully, the RM did!).

Supposedly Ampeg have now resolved the design defect that made them so unreliable, but once bitten, twice shy. Not sure I'm going to ever trust Ampeg again. 

Ok thanks again Russ yep read a lot of similar posts regarding the 7 pro , such a shame isn’t it as most people like the actual amp but the reliability let’s it down , I’ve also heard that the new ones have apparently had the problems fixed but it still makes you hesitate putting down £800 to £900 on one .

appreciate all your thoughts 

Stu 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2022 at 22:04, agedhorse said:

Not so much upgraded as repaired/ replaced. One of the challenges in all amps is insuring a source of parts necessary for repairs 5, 10 and 20 years down the road. In some cases it may not be worthwhile to repair a 20 year old, but in most cases when the part is available it’s cost effective to do so. If the part is proprietary and unavailable then you don’t have that choice.

My guessvis the psu is the limiting factor on power amp module replacement.

So.

MASSIVE thanks to @Russ who has been an absolute legend; I found a B-Stock TE-1200 on Peavey’s ebay page but they’d only ship to the US. Russ kindly took it in for me, and then arranged postage to the UK. I owe him several beers, for here is possibly the first TE-1200 on UK soil (aside from John Taylor’s ones…)

DA055A5E-5A80-46C5-A68E-E28517B0448D.thumb.jpeg.3b94ba7fdee22763c14cf3502b7263b3.jpeg

74A46903-C370-41E0-A432-71FA2F458966.thumb.jpeg.07aa636b97658639777633efa0e49a46.jpeg

B4AF23A1-12ED-4F20-8250-E7435A4F17A2.thumb.jpeg.0b1a218cdcc4d05c8b7e6c7b6d888f7a.jpeg

84E80966-099C-4F9A-98D3-868B7EB8F188.thumb.jpeg.cf9d3fd8585a3558e4520da613929047.jpeg

3E1B5E15-47B3-49D2-B6B5-E9E295F72F8D.thumb.jpeg.9cd1ef824dbd6ca9a3b867bca99ac4f6.jpeg

DDA12A7A-4D09-4BFB-A3A9-7B4478272D30.jpeg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Merton said:

So.

MASSIVE thanks to @Russ who has been an absolute legend; I found a B-Stock TE-1200 on Peavey’s ebay page but they’d only ship to the US. Russ kindly took it in for me, and then arranged postage to the UK. I owe him several beers, for here is possibly the first TE-1200 on UK soil (aside from John Taylor’s ones…)

B4AF23A1-12ED-4F20-8250-E7435A4F17A2.thumb.jpeg.0b1a218cdcc4d05c8b7e6c7b6d888f7a.jpeg

Oh my goodness!!! Congratulations 😍.

We await your thoughts with some excitement 😬😅

• Like 2