Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

23 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

I always am surprised by the prices in my old country. It's just about worth it to fly to the US and bring one back. I guess we have Boris the Spider to thank for that! :(

US prices exclude tax. £999 is £833 excl VAT so yes it is still cheaper on the left side of the pond, but it's not as bad as all that.

What that 20% gets you is another matter, but to pin the price difference on a spider is a bit wide of the mark IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Russ said:

Seems I was wrong about it not being out until June - they're out now. Sweetwater in the US is selling them already, so I'm sure they'll be making their way over the pond soon enough.

Yeah it’s weird isn’t it. The Peavey site says June but, along with Sweetwater showing stock, there are guys already showing pics of them being used. I asked Andertons but they don’t have any information yet.

In my infinite wisdom of no money and even less sense I tried buying from Sweetwater but they don’t ship internationally. Probably quite lucky really, the bank manager would have had some strong words for me 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

Edited by Merton
  • Haha 3

I've been following this thread for sometime and the new TE-1200 looks fairly exciting. If I had grand to spare I'd pop for one easily as I never really thought the ELF was a legit gigging amp that would last years of high pressure gigging in a non FOH scenario. Lots of reviews mentioned ELF's were ideal for frying eggs on after a few hours use at high power. Whether thats true is another story. A 1200 watt class D amp should be good for about 600 watts at 8 ohms and that appeals to me so a TE 1200 may just be what I'm looking for as an all round, do-any-gig amp. Something in the back of my mind though keeps reminding me that I would be buying a Peavey class d amp badged as a Trace Elliot for a premium price tag. I keep thinking of the early class d TE's that Peavey created and from experience they weren't that wonderful.( 715 combo's come to mind). Is the TE brand enough to warrant spending a grand on a Class-D amp built by Peavey and is anyone seriously considering spending £2.5K for a TE -1200 and a road ready 4x10? 🤔  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dangoose said:

I've been following this thread for sometime and the new TE-1200 looks fairly exciting. If I had grand to spare I'd pop for one easily as I never really thought the ELF was a legit gigging amp that would last years of high pressure gigging in a non FOH scenario. Lots of reviews mentioned ELF's were ideal for frying eggs on after a few hours use at high power. Whether thats true is another story. A 1200 watt class D amp should be good for about 600 watts at 8 ohms and that appeals to me so a TE 1200 may just be what I'm looking for as an all round, do-any-gig amp. Something in the back of my mind though keeps reminding me that I would be buying a Peavey class d amp badged as a Trace Elliot for a premium price tag. I keep thinking of the early class d TE's that Peavey created and from experience they weren't that wonderful.( 715 combo's come to mind). Is the TE brand enough to warrant spending a grand on a Class-D amp built by Peavey and is anyone seriously considering spending £2.5K for a TE -1200 and a road ready 4x10? 🤔  

It's built by the people at Peavey, but the actual Class D amplifier is going to be the same type of off-the-shelf Chinese item that is in pretty much all Class D amps, regardless of manufacturer, or place of manufacture. 

I'd say it's still a Trace if it implements design and sonic elements that are characteristic of earlier Trace gear, regardless of who is producing it.

It certainly looks the part - lots of green and backlighting. Supposedly the character of the EQ is very Trace-like, it's got the classic pre-shape included, the dual-band compressor (working on the same frequencies) and the pre-post EQ switch. No graphic, but that's not a dealbreaker, since everyone seems to set it as full smiley or full frowny anyway. :)

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, basically... 

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of comments on US sites/pages suggesting that it is just a re-badged Peavey Mini Mega. 

I can only assume they're looking at a different Peavey Mini Mega to the one I'm seeing, because apart from the EQ having 4 bands I can't see much similarity at all. 

image.thumb.png.eeef1aa320bd814ee5fc330e864befe8.png

Edited by Rich

One aspect I'd like to know, and probably won't for a number of years, is the reliability and repairability of this thing. It's a subject so close to my mind when purchasing that I started a thread on the subject. General consensus there is that you would struggle to find a brand better than Ashdown.

I would hope this thing is rock solid, but easily repairable in the event for this price.

50 minutes ago, Russ said:

It's built by the people at Peavey, but the actual Class D amplifier is going to be the same type of off-the-shelf Chinese item that is in pretty much all Class D amps, regardless of manufacturer, or place of manufacture. 

I'd say it's still a Trace if it implements design and sonic elements that are characteristic of earlier Trace gear, regardless of who is producing it.

It certainly looks the part - lots of green and backlighting. Supposedly the character of the EQ is very Trace-like, it's got the classic pre-shape included, the dual-band compressor (working on the same frequencies) and the pre-post EQ switch. No graphic, but that's not a dealbreaker, since everyone seems to set it as full smiley or full frowny anyway. :)

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, basically... 

Pretty sure Peavey make their own class D amp modules don’t they?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merton said:

Pretty sure Peavey make their own class D amp modules don’t they?

I'd be surprised if they did, but it's certainly possible. Most of the variance of Class D amps comes from the preamp. I've had an Ashdown RM-800 and a Mesa WD-800, which I believe share almost identical power amps, but sound completely different. 

2 hours ago, Russ said:

So... I've ordered one. I'll post my thoughts once it arrives and I've had a chance to play with it a bit. 

I'm not particularly good at the whole video thing, but I might have a go. 

Where'd you order it from, or are you outside of the UK?

Edit: Scratch that, just looked at your profile, "US via Croydon".

I got stuck at Croydon 😎

Edited by eude
  • Haha 1

On 23/02/2022 at 20:55, Merton said:

And even if it said “Made in the UK”, almost all of the component parts would have - you’ve guessed it - been made in China anyway…

Just for pedantry, by no means all components are made in China, although I'm sure almost all commodity parts are made in low-cost countries.

Nexperia make MOSFETs in Stockport, although I don't think they're the sort you'll find in your bass amp.

On-topic, everyone seemed to have Trace gear back when I started playing out in the '90s and I never thought I sounded good through it, although the quick-witted will note there could be more than one explanation for this.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, eude said:

Where'd you order it from, or are you outside of the UK?

Edit: Scratch that, just looked at your profile, "US via Croydon".

I got stuck at Croydon 😎

Yep, from Croydon, but living in the US right now. I'm sure we'll move back at some point, but probably not to the Cronx again!

I ordered from Sweetwater, but the one unit they had in stock must have sold while I was placing the order! So I guess I have to wait. :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 09/03/2022 at 02:27, dangoose said:

Something in the back of my mind though keeps reminding me that I would be buying a Peavey class d amp badged as a Trace Elliot for a premium price tag. 

I wouldn't worry about that. People were still buying Genz Benz and SWR without thinking they were just a premium badged Fender amp.

22 hours ago, Russ said:

A lot of companies use the ICE Power class D amp module but I believe that Peavey actually produce their own (or at least they used to, unless they've changed recently).

On 23/02/2022 at 19:52, mrtcat said:

I just can't get on with Ashdown amps. I really wish I did but I just don't like the core sound and I don't like the EQ section. Pity because the customer service is excellent.

This was me. Tried many Ashdown amps from the ABM’s to the Mag’s in rehearsal rooms and always found them to be a little dull or lifeless. Then I tried the Head of Doom and became a convert. And you’re spot on about the excellent customer service.