Jump to content
Barking Spiders

Fave bands new to you that've been around for donkeys ears

Recommended Posts

Since lockdown #1 and with time to spare I've 'discovered' a few fave bands -all US - who've actually been around for at least 20 years or have disbanded. It's a minor regret I'll never see them live or that I overlooked them when they were at festivals I went to. White Zombie and Filter are two such. Dunno how I missed them as I was well into other American alt-rock  stuff in the 90s.  Only came across Filter via one of producer /musician Rick Beato's vids on YT. If you don't know his YT channel I 100% recommend it.

over to you 👉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got into Guns N Roses around 2005, and kick myself for not liking them when they came out in 86/87 (at the time they were too bluesy for me). Pretty similar story with AC/DC too. Also discovered Volbeat last year who’ve been around a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got really in to The Tragically Hip over the last year or so. They are a band that I was aware of but never paid any attention to. I knew how big they were in Canada because I was over there when Gord Downie died and it was headline news, but I never sat down and really listened to them until last year. Needless to say, when I was over there again before the last lockdown, I came home with a bunch of their albums. They've easily become one of my favourite bands and I'm disappointed that I didn't check them out earlier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very, very late to the Rival Sons party; I'd heard a couple of tracks when they were the Hot New Thing, but dismissed them as too close to a Led Zep Tribute act, when I was talked into seeing them a few years ago. Seen them three or four times since, they're extraordinary live, but to be fair they'd moved away from the LZ bandwagon considerably by then...

Ditto Creedence Clearwater Revival (I knowwwww...); I knew a few songs (and the covers thereof), but until one day on a whim I just said 'Alexa, play Creedence' and left it going for a couple of hours, I didn't know how much I liked them...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my fave bands of all time I actually only discovered a couple of years ago...... but their first 4 albums (from 1976 - 1980) are, to my ears, masterpieces.

The band is 'Lake' - a German/British rock band with a sound somewhere between Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Wish I'd known about them earlier.... but I would have been under 10 years old at that time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyuss and Electric Wizard passed me by in the 90s, I'm making up for that now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year I have bought LPs by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry and the March Violets. 48 seems a great age to have an awkward teenage Goth phase!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently come to enjoy jethro tull, for years I just thought of them as weird folky stuff about witches delivered by cat weasel standing on one leg, actually bothered to delve a bit deeper and found out I liked it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The big one for me was probably Steely Dan a few years ago. I went from complete novice to near obsessive in a very short space of time. At the moment, I'm going through an 80's hard/glam rock appreciation phase - I believe the young people call it "hair metal" these days - and most recently took delivery of 'Look What the Cat Dragged In' and 'Open Up and Say... Ahh!' on CD. The band is called Poison, to the uninitiated. The kind of thing my teenage self would have scoffed at back then as I was a devotee of thrash at the time. They're actually ok, it turns out 😂

Edited by Doctor J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first 'discovered' Frost* when they were already 3 albums in. Most annoying was that I was about a month too late for their Bristol Thekla gig. *kicks self repeatedly*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

This year I have bought LPs by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry and the March Violets. 48 seems a great age to have an awkward teenage Goth phase!

I've must've be nurturing my inner Goth for 30+ years then as I still play albums by these geezers 😁. Spinning Round by RLYL is one of my go to tunes for putting pedal to the metal .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

The big one for me was probably Steely Dan a few years ago. I went from complete novice to near obsessive in a very short space of time. At the moment, I'm going through an 80's hard/glam rock appreciation phase - I believe the young people call it "hair metal" these days - and most recently took delivery of 'Look What the Cat Dragged In' and 'Open Up and Say... Ahh!' on CD. The band is called Poison, to the uninitiated. The kind of thing my teenage self would have scoffed at back then as I was a devotee of thrash at the time. They're actually ok, it turns out 😂

You got any love for Motley Crue by any chance? I don't have much time for the rest of the Hair scene but the Crue had a good run in the 80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh yeah, definitely, they were a gateway band for me in the mid 80's. They were always a bit heavier than a lot of their peers which worked for me. I was one of the few who loved, and still loves, the Corabi album 😁

Poison just weren't acceptable to me on any level back then but, now, I can see there was a little bit more behind the make-up than I gave them credit for. Not much more, but still more 😂 If I'm feeling brave, I might pick up some Ratt soon.

 

Edited by Doctor J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might like this, then...early(ish -84) and very obscure LA/Hair Rock...more to it than a lot of its contemporaries (that bass intro is great), sadly they only ever released one EP...which I paid an arm and a leg for on import...  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cetera said:

One of my fave bands of all time I actually only discovered a couple of years ago...... but their first 4 albums (from 1976 - 1980) are, to my ears, masterpieces.

The band is 'Lake' - a German/British rock band with a sound somewhere between Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Wish I'd known about them earlier.... but I would have been under 10 years old at that time! 

Me too except I got close 20 years ago!

In the late 90s I found a record I wanted on a stall at Tynemouth Market but they were doing 10 albums for something like £3 - so I randomly picked 9 I'd never heard of before - Lake's first album being one of them. Shortly afterwards I redecorated & the record player went in the loft never to be seen again - until last year.

I dug the vinyl out & came across this Lake album still sealed in it's cellophane after 20+ years so I opened it & gave it a listen - it got me on the first song. Great stuff -  especially some of the solos on the outro of Between The Lines.

Another one I've discovered during lockdown is Max Webster (& Kim Mitchell's solo albums). I recall seeing their albums in the shops when I was 16 or so but had never heard them. A really good band.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised no-one has mentioned Toy Matinee yet.

Couple of others I've picked up on are Save Ferris and No Doubt.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, el borracho said:

Me too except I got close 20 years ago!

In the late 90s I found a record I wanted on a stall at Tynemouth Market but they were doing 10 albums for something like £3 - so I randomly picked 9 I'd never heard of before - Lake's first album being one of them. Shortly afterwards I redecorated & the record player went in the loft never to be seen again - until last year.

I dug the vinyl out & came across this Lake album still sealed in it's cellophane after 20+ years so I opened it & gave it a listen - it got me on the first song. Great stuff -  especially some of the solos on the outro of Between The Lines.

 

Lovely to share the discovery with you, Sir! Both of our lives are that much the richer for it! :)
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Toy Matinee yet.

 

I've known about them/loved them for 10+ years, but I certainly wasn't aware of them at the time. Guy Pratt's vids have brought them to the ears of more people now than ever were fans back in the day. A fantastic album for sure! :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Oh yeah, definitely, they were a gateway band for me in the mid 80's. They were always a bit heavier than a lot of their peers which worked for me. I was one of the few who loved, and still loves, the Corabi album 😁

Poison just weren't acceptable to me on any level back then but, now, I can see there was a little bit more behind the make-up than I gave them credit for. Not much more, but still more 😂 If I'm feeling brave, I might pick up some Ratt soon.

 

Another fan of the Corabi album here. Smoke The Sky is awesome.  Ratt was always my preference, great riffs and feel good tunes for the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

If I'm feeling brave, I might pick up some Ratt soon.

 

I always much preferred Ratt to Crue, Poison, etc.... they just seemed to have the edge on cool riffs and had much better guitarists.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack Of Communication is one of the great rock riffs...I always liked Dokken, too...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

  Only came across Filter via one of producer /musician Rick Beato's vids on YT. If you don't know his YT channel I 100% recommend it.

over to you 👉

I've just recently found out that the singer from Filter is the brother of Robert Patrick, the T1000 in Terminator 2!

A couple for me are......James Gang. I hate The Eagles and always assumed they'd sound pretty similar, so never gave them a listen. Funk #49 popped up on a Spotify playlist though and I was hooked.

I watched the sound of metal on Amazon the other day (which is well worth checking out, even if you're not a metal fan), it's loosely based on a US band called Jucifer that have been out since the late 90s. Cracking noisy stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

I've just recently found out that the singer from Filter is the brother of Robert Patrick, the T1000 in Terminator 2!

Huh, that I did not know. Filter's stuff would've sounded good in that film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Oh yeah, definitely, they were a gateway band for me in the mid 80's. They were always a bit heavier than a lot of their peers which worked for me. I was one of the few who loved, and still loves, the Corabi album 😁

Poison just weren't acceptable to me on any level back then but, now, I can see there was a little bit more behind the make-up than I gave them credit for. Not much more, but still more 😂 If I'm feeling brave, I might pick up some Ratt soon.

I'm not really a Crue fan and don't like stuff that is too heavy but I thought that Corabi album was really well done. My ex-wife loved Crue but I was always more Hanoi Rocks (& if you know the history...).

After Ratt, check out Arcade. I thought the debut was good fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...