Why become a member? ×

That time when you play a bass you were going to sell

Lozz196

This year I’ve been playing - shock horror - Jazzes mostly and was going to move on one of my Precisions.

However we’ve just started doing Wayward Son by Kansas in my band and my fingers are falling all over themselves on this song on the Jazz, so took the Precision I was considering selling out of its case today and went through it (I don’t take my fave one out of the house so wanted to try out on a bass I’d use in the band).

Decision reversed, that bass ain’t going nowhere. Just got to swap pickups to my fave Custom Shop 62s, and was lucky enough to score a set on here this week, so methinks KiOgon is getting a message re one of his great looms this week.

I’d also done the same with my Stingray earlier this week and whilst the playability was easier yet again I was reminded that I just don’t get on with the ‘Ray sound.

So I suppose that I really am a confirmed Precision player (though I do now love Jazz basses too). 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 4

I did a similar thing, My P was my go to bass for years, with the tone rolled off through my Ashdown rig it had the perfect sound for reggae , then I bought a few jazzes and fell in love with them so much that I couldn’t stop buying them, so I decided to sell my P,       I cleaned it up, photographed it , and plugged it in to check that it was all working fine before listing , and ended up playing it for about 3 hours 😄, it’s definitely not going anywhere, and shortly after I bought another P,   I’ve also got a P with a jazz neck that’s really nice to play, Kiogon made the loom for that one 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

So, you move to a jazz in 2020 and look what happens. Good to hear that normality has resumed and you're shifting back to a precision, there's hope for 2021 yet! 😂

Yeah, I suppose me switching allegiance to Jazz Basses must have been like one of those Dr Who episodes where Earth goes off kilter/out of its natural orbit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah, I suppose me switching allegiance to Jazz Basses must have been like one of those Dr Who episodes where Earth goes off kilter/out of its natural orbit.

I thought your profile had been hacked and an imposter had been posting for you. 

It's tough when it comes time to sell though. I've got a couple of basses that I might try to shift in the new year, just to thin the heard as they're not getting played that much. I really like them though and know I'll find it hard to list them if I pick em up. 

46 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Specifically your Sei, perchance?

Specifically most of them! 😉 Alembic, Wals, Seis, Warwicks, Ricks, you name it. The basses I miss most are probably my Alembic Triple Omega (sold simply because it was too heavy), my Wal Pro (ditto), my Rick 4004 (problems with contouring) and both my Rick 4000s (why????).

Of my 5 Seis, I do miss the buckeye most, even though it probably wasn’t the best of them as it stood. As you know, I’d have changed the electrics, along with a couple of other things. One day I hope to replace it though, funds allowing (although if I’m honest that’s looking more and more unlikely the nearer retirement looms). How’s it doing?

10 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Is your fave one a 60's original worth big bucks or something? 

No, it’s a regular 2015 US Standard Precision, but it has so much sentimental value - first Rebellion Festival, first European Tour, recorded our last 3 albums with it - that I don’t want it out of the house. Not fussed about it getting dinged, just don’t want some gyt stealing it.

Similar thing keeps happening with my Bravewood Jazz. It’s a seriously killer bass, it’s just that I’m a P Bass and StingRay guy first. I like having a Jazz in the house but often wonder if I really need such a good/expensive one for the odd play, and it’s a relic which really goes against my grain. Then I play it, and think I should keep it. Happens monthly, I really should know better and just settle  🙄

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Similar thing keeps happening with my Bravewood Jazz. It’s a seriously killer bass, it’s just that I’m a P Bass and StingRay guy first. I like having a Jazz in the house but often wonder if I really need such a good/expensive one for the odd play, and it’s a relic which really goes against my grain. Then I play it, and think I should keep it. Happens monthly, I really should know better and just settle  🙄

Swap it for a Stingray? 😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’d love to say yes, just to see your mind melt when you have to decide which to part with 😁

I’ve actually been seriously considering putting some of them up for sale. There is a bass for sale that I’m gassing for and it would be a significant investment.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve actually been seriously considering putting some of them up for sale. There is a bass for sale that I’m gassing for and it would be a significant investment.

You’ve got some lovely basses hiram, what are you gassing for at the moment 🙂

I've just done this today.  I've been seriously considering selling a Gibson Thunderbird that I bought early this year.  I got it out of the case to check the serial number (2011) then noodled around.  Now I'm changing my mind.  :)