Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Absolutely no part of freedom of movement meant that you couldn't shut all the borders if you have a reason to do so. Several European states did. 

No, we just chose not to because we didn't want to.

I don't think any European state (let alone ones that have 10x the population of NZ) has come close to applying a NZ solution. Please correct me if I am wrong and name them?

Seriously if it was / is that easy to do why isn't it being done right now by the UK or the EU?

How long has NZ put the rest of the world in quarantine? What is the longest any European nation has done the same?

Tbh you wouldn't get any objections from me to putting the rest of the planet in quarantine, if it were feasible and worked.

- Not sure how any air-travel abroad can currently really be described as "essential" other than to be returning to / from home countries on a long term basis. 

- But you then have the issue of trade and road hauliers etc.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Quick Q, how many people on BC are virologists?

Nope I’m a nurse who has done some additional training in vaccinations/immunisation- helping out with our annual flu jab clinic and some community immunisation stuff a few years back. We have a lot of concerned patients who want to discuss all aspects of Covid 19 so it’s important to be informed when they ask us about restrictions lifting, when they can go see their family or when their delayed discharge will eventually happen. We’ve a couple of folk who would have moved to their own accommodation by now (back in March in fact) so you can imagine the frustrations. I’d love to tell them my ‘educated guess’ is they’ll be moving on in May but I can’t really pull a figure out of the air. Instead we’re all dealing in the reality of the situation and we’re all trying manage that as best we can. 

My missus is studying microbiology as part of her degree course so I’m getting some great info and discussion (vicariously) through listening in on her lectures - some of her uni lectures are involved in Covid research (I ask her to listen to her online lectures without headphones so I can earwig in).

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Absolutely no part of freedom of movement meant that you couldn't shut all the borders if you have a reason to do so. Several european states did. 

No, we just chose not to because we didn't want to.

More relevant, why didn't we impliment quarantine like australia did? You come in, 14 days enforced quarantine and if you break it you face huge fines and prison, and they are checking.

Again, completely irrelevant, we could have shut them. its in the European treaties as we were sovereign independent countries.

But we won't

Because they didn't want to because of our political make up. We wanted to keep things open for economic reasons, which is why our economy is still not working and NZ (and most of asias) is.

Perfect example is France unilaterally shutting its borders to us just before Christmas.

Ah yes...very poorly compared to NZ.

In fact most European nations are doing abysmally compared to NZ.

So the better question is surely this - is the NZ solution one that Europe can easily and readily apply, given its geography and population size as compared to NZ?

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I don't think any European state (let alone ones that have 10x the population of NZ) has come close to applying a NZ solution. Please correct me if I am wrong and name them?

None of them, but I didn't say they did. However, some did close their borders.

Seriously if it was / is that easy to do why isn't it being done right now by the UK or the EU?

Because it is a matter of political will, and our government doesn't have that will.

How long has NZ put the rest of the world in quarantine? What is the longest any European nation has done the same?

65 days to totally lock it down.

I have no idea what is the longest any european nation has done, presumably not enough. It is obviously harder in mainland europe as they have long borders, we don't.

Anyway, you appear to be implying it is just NZ - it isn't, it is large parts of the east that have locked it down, including much bigger countries. lets face it, everyone is currently better than us, as we are literally the worst, so I say, look at what anyone else does and follow them.

Given the choice between 65 days and a proper tracing program run by someone competent, vs 9 months and a few billion to the PMs mates, I know which I would choose.

- But you then have the issue of trade and road hauliers etc.

Thats ok, we are proving with brexit we can shut all trade down too! :D

As we have some BassChatters in the medical profession, or have relatives who are, any aware of the use of Ivermectin to treat Covid patients?

A medical journal published a report last April that scientists in Australia have discovered an existing anti parasitic drug that has been in use for at least 40 years that kills Covid RNA within 48hrs.

I can't find any updates and if correct it could be a ready made to solution to be able to treat cases quickly 

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Perfect example is France unilaterally shutting its borders to us just before Christmas.

Exactly. We live on a small island, closing our borders would have been the easiest thing to do. But what about the economy was the first thought of our administration. If our borders had been closed and we bit the bullet we could have been out of this by now, but no, do it half hearted and its still costing lives and money.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

As we have some BassChatters in the medical profession, or have relatives who are, any aware of the use of Ivermectin to treat Covid patients?

A medical journal published a report last April that scientists in Australia have discovered an existing anti parasitic drug that has been in use for at least 40 years that kills Covid RNA within 48hrs.

I can't find any updates and if correct it could be a ready made to solution to be able to treat cases quickly 

I’ll try to find out from guys more on the intensive side - I suppose the first thing that springs to mind is what works in a petri dish, does not always work in a human 

16 minutes ago, mikel said:

Exactly. We live on a small island, closing our borders would have been the easiest thing to do. But what about giving millions of pounds to our friends and party donors was the first thought of our administration. If our borders had been closed and we bit the bullet we could have been out of this by now, but no, do it half hearted and its still costing lives and money.

fixed ;) 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Combination of all of the above mentioned - novel virus, its behaviour is strange with a cytokine (inflammatory) storm which upsets the delicate balance of the body, learning how best to treat it.

Viruses in general want to live with us, the more evil virus kills the host and dies with it, mutations will happen, and what we want is a slightly naughty virus that eventually behaves like flu, but we have the means to treat each variant of illness a person gets the correct way and quickly to prevent preventable death and long term symptoms-that will take a while whilst Mother Nature and we sort it out.

It’s unprecedented times especially with massive media presence and a culture where we behave like verruca salt and want everything now.

When this first came out everyone was saying how bad the lockdown period of a couple of months is (it is BTW for mental health etc.) Tom Jones, who always has a story said basically, its tough, but i had to shield for 2 years with TB as a child in my village - its not far off that now

and that was not unusual back then either

17 hours ago, BassBunny said:

So far - not used as far as I can tell

Edited by Cuzzie

looks like a scene from Spinal Tap 2

*there is no Spinal Tap 2

19 minutes ago, ambient said:

Here’s a smashing idea that might just get this off the ground. I don’t know where you’d put your drink though.

855199CE-D6ED-4F9E-BDE7-EE610A21C49F.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1