Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

I was gonna say the pubs were open for months with no gigs due to social distancing rules. It’s great to see a vaccine roll out but I’d imagine a cautious return to ‘normal’ gigs is likely to be the course of action with indoor ‘regular’ gigs at the end of that timeframe. Venues with outdoor space may be able to work around that but for the venues my band plays it’s likely gonna be a while yet if the social distancing measures are reintroduced as they were prior to lockdown.

I can’t see the Government rushing things well actually I can but you know what I mean. It’ll be a cautious return to good times!

Edited by krispn
Tidy up
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, krispn said:

I was gonna say the pubs were open for months with no gigs due to social distancing rules. It’s great to see a vaccine roll out but I’d imagine a cautious return to ‘normal’ gigs is likely to be the course of action with indoor ‘regular’ gigs at the end of that timeframe. Venues with outdoor space may be able to work around that but for the venues my band plays it’s likely gonna be a while yet I’d the precious measures are reintroduced.

I can’t see the Government rushing things well actually I can but you know what I mean. It’ll be a cautious return to good times!

I agree. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be in a pub in the summer full of people dancing and singing, even though I am looking forward to seeing friends again in the flesh. Also, I can't see how pubs will make promoting live music financially viable while social distancing measures are in place. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Also, I can't see how pubs will make promoting live music financially viable while social distancing measures are in place. 

If need be, we will be open to doing cut price gigs to help our local get things going again. 

I appreciate that's not going to be an easy or desirable choice for a lot of folk, but it's a small way we feel able to put something back into our local communities. Besides our local pub landlord has looked after both my bands really well over several years; it just seems the right thing to do to return the loyalty he's shown us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

People doing weddings/functions etc - obviously the initial buzz of playing will be great, but if you are used to 100 guests will it feel  ‘empty’ as in less excitement when its only 30 allowed?

Lol! I suspect we'll still all manage to give them a good day, but thanks for your concern 😉

Plan is back to normal on June 21st. No 30 guest restriction after that date as far as I'm aware, but I'm sure you'll correct me if that's wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Lol! I suspect we'll still all manage to give them a good day, but thanks for your concern 😉

Plan is back to normal on June 21st. No 30 guest restriction after that date as far as I'm aware, but I'm sure you'll correct me if that's wrong. 

Haha - not concerned for you - the glass is always half full👊🏾

The only thing it says is 30 17th May - and yes from June 21st possibly no restrictions but ‘governed by the data and science......’

Purely genuine question - for some it’s a job and a main revenue stream, some a well needed bonus, others a nice to have - on past experience how have empty vs full gigs felt - for the purpose of this we all gave it the beans no matter if it’s 1 or 1000 - just interested

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well maybe wedding couples should only look to book originals bands? At least they will be much more accustomed to playing to empty venues and could probably be hired for free, on the promise of "promoting" their brand?

Slightly strange response, not sure where that one is going, was just asking peoples feelings on the matter, but if you want to do your band out of a gig,i am sure i can do my best Richard Van Dyke Mary Poppins act at the wedding you have booked for a lesser fee with new material

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Slightly strange response, not sure where that one is going, was just asking peoples feelings on the matter, but if you want to do your band out of a gig,i am sure i can do my best Richard Van Dyke Mary Poppins act at the wedding you have booked for a lesser fee with new material

It was just a light hearted poke! Clearly I need to be funnier 😁

I thought your question was a bit bizarre though? After 12 months of no gigs, I'm not sure why anyone is going to balk at playing to smaller audiences? The very question implies such a negative outlook about gigging and what we all get from it. As long as they are having a great time does it really matter whether there are 30 or 100? The day itself is such a celebration - right up there amongst the happiest.

Besides, after June 21st we should be back up to normal numbers at weddings and other functions, fingers crossed.

PS do you have a promo video? I think the DVD / Mary Poppins thing could take off...

Edited by Al Krow

Not meant to be negative, I may have remembered incorrectly but I thought I thought some posts on here expressed doubt for their own enjoyment doing a gig where there is no singing/dancing, sparsely filled pubs etc.

It’s not balking per se, but some like the excitement and vibe of a bustling full room be it sport or music, others don’t mind, and of course now there is the worry of drunk people not just spilling stuff and knocking your equipment, but also losing their sense of space, getting in your grill, and we still are living with COVID and that risk of transmission - it is unlikely that everyone would have had their vaccination by then.

Its great restrictions are lifted, but that is the crux of the question

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Not meant to be negative, I may have remembered incorrectly but I thought I thought some posts on here expressed doubt for their own enjoyment doing a gig where there is no singing/dancing, sparsely filled pubs etc.

It’s not balking per se, but some like the excitement and vibe of a bustling full room be it sport or music, others don’t mind, and of course now there is the worry of drunk people not just spilling stuff and knocking your equipment, but also losing their sense of space, getting in your grill, and we still are living with COVID and that risk of transmission - it is unlikely that everyone would have had their vaccination by then.

Its great restrictions are lifted, but that is the crux of the question

Not to mention the chance of Vaccine passports - either as a requirement from the govt as Gove is now looking at it, or whether the venues / event organisers themselves will insist on it.

Lots of cruise companies already confirming nobody gets on board without proof of having both vaccines and the airlines have been saying similar will take place for them later this year when the global vaccine rollout is further along.

And then there will be customers who won't attend events or book a venue for an event if the venue won't insist on vaccine proof.

I saw a yougov poll that suggested 70% are in favour of vaccine passports - if that is accurate then market forces will win.

I don't think the process is going to be nearly as simple as we'd like. 

• Like 2

The problem is 'time' -

there's not a lot involved in producing a credit-card (& pin) type 'proof or exemption' card

and a phone app would (in theory) be even simpler -

the other problem is acceptance (for some) - some very well spoken female from the BAME community

was on tv last night, already starting the 'discrimination' stuff - watch this space ! 

😎

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

there's not a lot involved in producing a credit-card (& pin) type 'proof or exemption' card

Careful with that - you might get accused of being the most entitled person ever by suggesting a phone app.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

😎

You've already got the proof in the card you get when vaccinated. It lists the dates you had Dose 1 & 2 and even the type and batch number. Why spend money on producing something else?

As far as an app goes there appears to be some talk about modifying the existing NHS Track and Trace app to include vaccination status.

3 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

You've already got the proof in the card you get when vaccinated. It lists the dates you had Dose 1 & 2 and even the type and batch number. Why spend money on producing something else?

As far as an app goes there appears to be some talk about modifying the existing NHS Track and Trace app to include vaccination status.

It's too easy to fake.

• Thanks 2