Why become a member? ×

Your guitarist is a better bass player than you!

Al Krow

Both of the guitarists in InIsolation are probably better bassists than me. 

I’ve also auditioned several bands as the bass player and ended up joining, playing guitar or synth because one of the other musicians who also auditioned was a better bass player. 

Guitarist in my band is a very good bassist. I heard his originals band where he played bass and all guitar parts and was a little bit put out by how surprised I was with the quality of the bass part. But then he appreciates some of the things I do on bass that he can't. I guess it's just a case of he is a very good guitarist playing bass, whereas I'm a "pure" bass player so we approach it in different ways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Both of the guitarists in InIsolation are probably better bassists than me. 

I’ve also auditioned several bands as the bass player and ended up joining, playing guitar or synth because one of the other musicians who also auditioned was a better bass player. 

Great that you have so many strings to your bow!

23 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Guitarist in my band is a very good bassist. I heard his originals band where he played bass and all guitar parts and was a little bit put out by how surprised I was with the quality of the bass part. But then he appreciates some of the things I do on bass that he can't. I guess it's just a case of he is a very good guitarist playing bass, whereas I'm a "pure" bass player so we approach it in different ways. 

So how did he manage to play bass and guitar at the same time? 😁

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

🤔

It was just your post implied you had heard the originals band playing live and the guitarist was doing both the bass and guitar parts...but I guess you must have meant a recording, right?

22 hours ago, gjones said:

His hair might have been the thing that put her off He should have got a haircut and asked her out again 

That’s exactly what I was thinking. She’s pretty tidy and he looks like something out of the hair bear bunch! 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'm always the worst player in any band I've been in. It somewhat tells of how desperately short of bass players this little rural hell hole is, that I've never failed to get into any band I've auditioned for.

Me too, certainly when I started out. I really only managed to get into either of my bands by being the founder member and also having the gumption to actually meet and speak to folk in person to get some gigs in - for some reason a lot of the younger gen only seem to be able to WhatsApp 😁...but the gap has definitely been closing over the past 7 years and I don't feel out of my depth with either of my bands any more. Heck they're going to have a bunch of new pedals launched on them soon and won't know what's hit them - lol!

But I think it's also true that, whilst there is a huge gap between a highly proficient bass player and an average Joe, you can more easily get away with being "just adequate" on bass and holding down a steady bass line in a way you can't in similar fashion as a lead guitarist or vocalist.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. She’s pretty tidy and he looks like something out of the hair bear bunch! 

Boys calm down - she's got a steady boyfriend now (it's not the guitarist) 😂

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Me too, certainly when I started out. I really only managed to get into either of my bands by being the founder member and also having the gumption to actually meet and speak to folk in person to get some gigs in - for some reason a lot of the younger gen only seem to be able to WhatsApp 😁...but the gap has definitely been closing over the past 7 years and I don't feel out of my depth with either of my bands any more. Heck they're going to have a bunch of new pedals launched on them soon and won't know what's hit them - lol!

But I think it's also true that, whilst there is a huge gap between a highly proficient bass player and an average Joe, you can more easily get away with being "just adequate" on bass and holding down a steady bass line in a way you can't in similar fashion as a lead guitarist or vocalist.

I can agree with you on that.

I've always been very work man like in my playing, not flash or anything. However, I've always managed to keep my place in a band by making sure I learnt the material and playing it properly.

6 years ago I was in a band with probably the best guitarist I've ever been in a band with. I'd been in a band with a guitarist who was more technical (he could do all sorts), but this guy was, what you might say, more complete. My playing improved a lot very quickly. Looking back I think I was better then then I am now. I was being more creative and trying stuff I'd shied away from. My confidence was increased as well. It became noticeable when we had to replace the singer in the band and we turned to someone I'd been in a band with a few years previous. She actually commented how I was a completely different player.

I'm very much out of the loop these days, I've not been in a band for over 2 years and lost a lot of contacts...maybe because I fell out with a few :D

• Like 1

Many years ago I played with a singer songwriter who was also a great pianist, good guitarist and top quality bassist. I suggested he take the  bass on one of his songs, because he played it way better than I did. He said he preferred what I played because it was different to what he would play and he wanted that difference. A confidence boosting comment that really helped me out at a time when I was feeling a little fragile.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

Many years ago I played with a singer songwriter who was also a great pianist, good guitarist and top quality bassist. I suggested he take the  bass on one of his songs, because he played it way better than I did. He said he preferred what I played because it was different to what he would play and he wanted that difference. A confidence boosting comment that really helped me out at a time when I was feeling a little fragile.

Exactly.

However good they are, they can't do something they wouldn't do. it's about having a diversity of minds involved.

• Like 1

I've never been in a band where the guitarist has as good a knowledge of rhythm and harmony as me.  I suspect a few of the guitarists could physically play me under the table, but IMHO that isn't what makes a great bass player.  Having said that, playing in a covers band I guess they'd do just as good a job as me if, and only if, they could manage to refrain from unnecessary flashiness.

When I've been in bands with two guitarists, I've almost always been a better guitarist than the rhythm player, but that's because they were rubbish, not because I'm that great.

I try not to be intimidated by the musicianship of others, as said earlier by @chris_b. It's an opportunity to develop and learn, plus I would hope I bring something to every band I have been in. 

The closest I come to this predictament is the guitarist in my current main band is generally regarded as the best musician for miles and he started as a bass player. He has an incredible musical ear and has worked full time as a musician for over 35yrs. However I find his bass playing just a little bit too full on ALL THE TIME. He knows how to play but maybe not how NOT to play. Musically far superior to me but the singer / songwriter said to me just recently during a mix, "you tell him, he seems to respect you the most". 

In my humble opinion, the best musicians are those that can find value in even the most novice of players. Music isn't competitive! It's best when we are able to bring out the best in each other.