Why become a member? ×

Your guitarist is a better bass player than you!

Al Krow

1 minute ago, lownote12 said:

On another tack completely @Al Krow, that's not a bad recording in terms of clarity and balance.  Can you recall how it was done?  Was it just a camera with onboard mic, or was everything put through a mixer before being fed to to the camera?

Thanks - it was multi-tracked by the same uber talented guitarist with the Jackson 5 hair. I really must get in touch with him to find out he's getting on, pro musician during Covid - ugh!

Joined a pro band years ago - the guitarist was a better vocalist than the vocalist, and a better drummer than the drummer. He had amazing natural rhythm and at any break in rehearsals would lay down great improvised funk lines on my bass, which made me a little embarrassed at the time ! 

But being a guitarist, he just didn't know when to stop - he could play an amazing bass line but it would have little to do with the song, or play an amazing drum fill but it would sound more like a short drum solo. Mercifully, he was more disciplined when on guitar and would play to suit the song.  A modest but very clever and talented guy, and I learnt a lot from him.

Always useful if you're lucky enough to get to play with someone really talented like this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks - it was multi-tracked by the same uber talented guitarist with the Jackson 5 hair. I really must get in touch with him to find out he's getting on, pro musician during Covid - ugh!

I think his hearing's top end is shot. He needs to reduce the treble and add more balance in his sound.

My guitarist is a very knowledgeable musician, so in that respect I suppose he's a better bass player than I am, but he plays the bass very much like a guitarist. It's just too much. I think a lot of the skill of bass playing is knowing what not to play. Setting the groove and tone of the music without overdoing it. At least that's the way I try to play. 

• Like 3

I've played in several bands with bassists who had moved to other instruments. I replaced the bass player when he moved to front the band as a singer. I also played with a guitar and keys playing singer who was a far better bass player than I'll ever be.

I was in a band once where we had 3 bassists and a drummer. Both guitarists were bassists in a previous life and both were very good at it. That was a good band.

4 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Generally great sound, both incarnations.  Love it.  And I don't say that easily... largely because I'm losing my voice at the moment.

You're too kind. But I trust, following your earlier comment, that you are not merely confusing talent with talent😁

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The guitarist was a seriously good musician and with respect to my current and previous crews, the best guitarist I've worked with.

One of your other guitarists was a better player than that when I was in band with him when we were both at school together. I cant believe he's regressed that much since!

43 minutes ago, pete.young said:

One of your other guitarists was a better player than that when I was in band with him when we were both at school together. I cant believe he's regressed that much since!

Oh my word, small world!! Seems that Yammy BBNE2 ownership was an inescapable destiny then? 😁

I'll PM you to find out which one!