Why become a member? ×

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

That body shape's quite interesting, but the headstock...oh dearie dearie me... 

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

That was an attempt to get rid of excess stock of Fender Electric XII

Yes, very much a case of emptying the parts bin over actually designing something new. ‘Twas ever thus at chez Fender.*

*Other lazy guitar/bass manufacturers are available.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dmckee said:

It's not a novelty bass at all judging from the demos/reviews I have watched and read.

What makes you think that?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 minutes ago, dmckee said:

No, it isn't a novelty bass at all, by far the easiest to play bass I ever had and they sound great. I totally regret selling mine and am seriously considering this one.

38 minutes ago, dmckee said:

Well it's showing as out of stock....

But who knows what that really means on Bass Direct. Could still be being made or could never have existed at all! 

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, dmckee said:

I’ve had one for a couple of years and I wouldn’t say it’s a novelty bass, but it is a very particular sound. Because it doesn’t quite do the ‘classic’ tones I struggled to use it on wedding/covers gigs, but it is very very cool. It has probably my favourite back pickup sounds.

Acinonyx are great basses IMO. They have a bit of a novelty look but they are fantastic to play, especially for those long gigs. They are super light, with a slim neck and narrow string spacing, plus the pickups have got real grunt. As has already been said, the bridge pickup is really strong solo.

I notice there is one for sale on this forum at the moment (no personal interest in this).

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 22:16, bassist_lewis said:

These just arrived at Bass Direct. Obviously inspired by the Mustang, this one by the JMJ in particular (I imagine).

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/vincent-pony-marrakesch/

£2k still feels like a lot for a Fender copy... but if I had it spare 😅

I have one, and a ‘69 Mustang (purchased through the forum a decade or so ago). Even though the Pony is clearly based on a Mustang (and this is true of Vincent’s P and J basses also), there are some really clever design features which make them quite different instruments. They are incredibly even across the entire fretboard, and I find the zero-fret (instead of a nut) makes the open strings feel very controlled (and it opens up some interesting muting possibilities of the open strings with the left hand which aren’t possible with a regular nut). The honey-combed body makes the bass incredibly light in weight, and amazingly resonant (which is noticeable playing the instrument unplugged). The bridge gives you the option of traditional string mounting (ball ends through the back of the bridge), or they can sit through the bridge within the base on a piece of wood which is connected to the body to further increase resonance (their website could explain this much better than I’m doing!)

For me, the best way to describe Vincents in general is having the dna of classic Fenders, but being a very modern/stable/consistent instrument at the same time. And they’re beautifully crafted (by hand), with all woods and metal (except for the neck) sourced local to their workshop. 

Out of the gate, the vintage Mustang has more low end heft and general bassy gooeyness (this could also be the 12 year old strings), but the Pony has a more modern attack/articulation (without been like an active bass, obviously), and you can dial in that extra low end after the fact with EQ/saturation if you want it. My Fender has over 50 years on the Pony (and their construction and components really are very different) so it’s a little unfair to compare, but the Pony totally stands up, and even does some things better. I’d definitely check one out if you were curious! 

Here’s a little video I made for Vincent after I received the bass.. full disclosure I purchased one of their P-type basses and loved it so much I got in touch with them to ask if they’d make a Mustang-esque instrument. Turned out they’d already been planning to do so. They sent me this one when it was ready and I did a little testing for them, and didn’t want to send it back so ended up buying the bass.

• Like 7

On 07/11/2023 at 07:34, Baloney Balderdash said:

It's not a novelty bass at all judging from the demos/reviews I have watched and read.

What makes you think that?

I watched LowEndLobster’s review: 

Not saying I necessarily agree with him but I can see why he’s drawn that conclusion.  V2 probs better? 

Edited by dmckee

On 07/11/2023 at 07:31, dmckee said:

In my experience, you will only know if it's for you by playing it.  Carey Nordstrand knows what he's doing, but if its not for you, or indeed Will (Lobster) - no problem.  Manufacturers seem to be bringing out new short scale basses fairly regularly. Aa lot of these are short versions of their core range. I don't own an Acinonyx, but a positive for me, is that it is different.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, sdbass said:

I have one, and a ‘69 Mustang (purchased through the forum a decade or so ago). Even though the Pony is clearly based on a Mustang (and this is true of Vincent’s P and J basses also), there are some really clever design features which make them quite different instruments. They are incredibly even across the entire fretboard, and I find the zero-fret (instead of a nut) makes the open strings feel very controlled (and it opens up some interesting muting possibilities of the open strings with the left hand which aren’t possible with a regular nut). The honey-combed body makes the bass incredibly light in weight, and amazingly resonant (which is noticeable playing the instrument unplugged). The bridge gives you the option of traditional string mounting (ball ends through the back of the bridge), or they can sit through the bridge within the base on a piece of wood which is connected to the body to further increase resonance (their website could explain this much better than I’m doing!)

For me, the best way to describe Vincents in general is having the dna of classic Fenders, but being a very modern/stable/consistent instrument at the same time. And they’re beautifully crafted (by hand), with all woods and metal (except for the neck) sourced local to their workshop. 

Out of the gate, the vintage Mustang has more low end heft and general bassy gooeyness (this could also be the 12 year old strings), but the Pony has a more modern attack/articulation (without been like an active bass, obviously), and you can dial in that extra low end after the fact with EQ/saturation if you want it. My Fender has over 50 years on the Pony (and their construction and components really are very different) so it’s a little unfair to compare, but the Pony totally stands up, and even does some things better. I’d definitely check one out if you were curious! 

Here’s a little video I made for Vincent after I received the bass.. full disclosure I purchased one of their P-type basses and loved it so much I got in touch with them to ask if they’d make a Mustang-esque instrument. Turned out they’d already been planning to do so. They sent me this one when it was ready and I did a little testing for them, and didn’t want to send it back so ended up buying the bass.

Thanks for that informed and useful feedback - just the kind of info we like the best 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sdbass said:

Ended up buying the bass, well that indeed says a lot, decent review there and makes me think I may well check these out.

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered about that that too.

I do have a 34" Ibanez, but would like to know what's available in a short scale.

Also 5 string. is the bottom string too floppy on a shorty, or medium scale ?

I was thinking of maybe £500 used

31 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I wondered about that that too.

I do have a 34" Ibanez, but would like to know what's available in a short scale.

Also 5 string. is the bottom string too floppy on a shorty, or medium scale ?

I was thinking of maybe £500 used

I can think of a few short scales you can get in fretless and 5 strings but none of them are going to be in that price range; e.g. Maruszczyk, Mensinger, Nordstrand Acinonyx and various even more esoteric (and expensive) boutique basses. For that money, the answer might be to buy an Ibanez TMB35, or SRMD 205 Mezzo and defret it. 

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

Short scale fretless Harley Benton Beatbass is a thing, I already posted it a few times here, and sounds amazing too, this video starts out with it straight DI'ed and nothing else done to the signal:

image.thumb.png.b7464b4e61501adf1db5070d832ee06d.png

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass_fl_vs_vintage_series.htm

Unlined, but with side dots markings where the frets would be.

175£/199 Euro

Amaranth (Purple Heart) fretboard, which is very close to as hard and stiff as Ebony.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

It's a long thread and I  may have missed it  but how do people like fretless on a 30" scale? I've been using my Mustang for a good couple of years now and recorded some fretless the other day on my 34" and kinda struggled on the intonation. Thoughts please?

I’ve been toying with the idea of pulling the frets out of my HB Mustang-alike. Intonation shouldn’t be any harder than playing a normal scale, further up the neck. If you want to play up at the dusty end on a SS fretless, then greater care would need to be taken, I imagine. Tapewounds might help with that, they seem to on Rob Allens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Does anyone here have any experience with a 30" scale Warwick Thumb? I am curious about the tone and the ergonomics.

Not the 30" scale Thumb, (does such a model exist?) but I have previously owned a short scale Warwick Corvette, which I seem to think is something like 30.6". Ergonomically speaking it was very comfortable, light weight, balanced perfectly and had that more modern neck profile, i.e. slim front to back and tall~ish top to bottom, if that makes sense? No issues on that front IME other than the phallic top horn which I was somewhat ambivalent about depending on ones state of arousal. Tonally, it sounded like a Warwick with its stock MEC pickups, plenty of loss and highs but perhaps a little low mid-shy for my tastes, but a big pleasing punchy sound from the passive MEC's. There's also an active version with a 2 band EQ which will give you more options should you require them but I never felt anything was lacking from the passive version. 

I only moved in on as it was just slightly longer scale than my other basses, both 30", and muscle memory kept tripping me up whenever I picked it up, although that's a failing on my part and not an issue with the bass itself. 

Extrapolating the above to a short scale Thumb, I can't imagine there'd be anything to be concerned about. 

• Thanks 1