Why become a member? ×

@scrumpymike Thanks for the Gator / Stingray case pic, I appreciate it. Looks decent, but in the end I went for the 'Gator GC-ELEC-XL deluxe molded ABS case for electric guitars, extra-long', I liked the more curved corners and I saw a bunch of photos of it on the (currently) 148 page TB SBMM Stingray short scale topic, which I read in full over the last couple of days. Whilst it will seem a little strange not having a lift up pocket, I don't really put anything in them anyway, as my cables & other gear go in my backpack. I briefly had the long scale bass version of the Gator deluxe ABS case and thought it was pretty good, I liked the neck channel that ran down the middle too.

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Hi Mike, what is the model number for that case?

Cheers, JohnDB

Hi John, only just seen your message. I'll see if I can find the paper receipt tomorrow. Our local (Taunton) guitar shop got it in for me but sadly went out of business during the covid pandemic. IIRC it was £98.

• Thanks 1

Hi people, I am looking for some advice. I have recently come back to playing bass after been asked to join a local covers band. Before that I was playing guitar a lot more than

my bass. 

I have been using my ibanez SRX 500 to jam. The trouble I'm having is I'm finding it uncomfortable to play, specifically at my wrist. I broke it two years ago mountain biking. 

My wife had an old gypsy rose 3/4 size bass in the garage which I broke out to play around with and I found it a lot more comfortable.

So now I'm thinking of getting a short scale bass. 

I really like the ibanez EHB 1000s but they are quite expensive, though I would be willing to spend that much money as I am loving being back in a band after years away due to kids/ life.  I have also seen people mentioning on this thread the starstream 1h which I have noted is down to £179 at guitarguitar. 

My question is, if you had to pick up only 1 short scale bass for under 1000. What would it be?

I live in northern Scotland so travelling to big guitar shops in the south to try guitars isn't very practical. Thanks for any replies. 

@FrostybassI'd echo whats been said above, a used Sandberg Lionel would be the top of my list, closely followed by a JMJ Mustang and if you like the Stingray sound then a Sterling Stingray SS .... Are you anywhere near Glasgow, then have a try of Merchant City in Glasgow maybe

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frostybass said:

My question is, if you had to pick up only 1 short scale bass for under 1000. What would it be?

You have had some good suggestions already but I would throw the Nordstrand Acinonyx into the mix (squeezes in £50 under your £1K limit). It is super easy to play and very light. However, if you have big hands you might find it a touch cramped (36mm nut width and 16mm spacing at the bridge).

I have a Starstream 1H and mine is a great little guitar but perhaps not as versatile as twin pickup models. Also there have been some quality issues with them. Mine is fine but I might have been lucky. However, at that bargain basement price, you might be able to put up with doing a bit of setup work to get it right. The original asking price was around £500!

The Ibby EHB1000S is a nice little bass. I was sad to part with mine. It would be better suited to those with larger hands than the previous 2 I mentioned. It is very light and ergonomic. The string locking mechanism means that you can use standard scale strings and snip off the excess. That gives you more choice and also avoids the SS cost premium.  However, a lot of people find the standard Bartolini pickups a bit old fashioned and upgrade to Aguilars @ over £200.

Another option would be to look for a used Maruszczyk Jake or Elwood SS, or a Mensinger Cazpar. They are in the same league as the Sandberg Lionel others have mentioned IMO.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you fancied something Gibson flavoured I would heartily recommend the Les Paul Junior Double Cutaway, more manageably written LPJnrDC. Pickup position plus coil tap means there is no mud. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The shorty Stingrays are nice and quite small in the body if that’s an issue and there’s one in the for sale section. For great value for money you can’t beat the Harley Benton MV-4M (such a sexy name 🤦🏻). At around £200 delivered, it’s a solid purchase with some nice hardwood and plays well out of the box. Don’t overlook the Ibanez semi acoustic shorties if that look floats you boat (the AFB200 and AGB200) are well within you budget. The Player Mustang gets a fair bit of love too. For the record I have a ‘Ray, JMJ and a Harley Benton Mustang-alike.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Frostybass said:

Hi people, I am looking for some advice. I have recently come back to playing bass after been asked to join a local covers band. Before that I was playing guitar a lot more than

my bass. 

I have been using my ibanez SRX 500 to jam. The trouble I'm having is I'm finding it uncomfortable to play, specifically at my wrist. I broke it two years ago mountain biking. 

My wife had an old gypsy rose 3/4 size bass in the garage which I broke out to play around with and I found it a lot more comfortable.

So now I'm thinking of getting a short scale bass. 

I really like the ibanez EHB 1000s but they are quite expensive, though I would be willing to spend that much money as I am loving being back in a band after years away due to kids/ life.  I have also seen people mentioning on this thread the starstream 1h which I have noted is down to £179 at guitarguitar. 

I live in northern Scotland so travelling to big guitar shops in the south to try guitars isn't very practical. Thanks for any replies. 

Can't disagree with much of the above re specific recommendations but would like to add a few general comments:

If strap balance is important to you (as it is to me and many others), choose a bass that has the top strap button at the F12 'sweet spot' to avoid neck dive.

If you want easy reach to the far end of the fret-board, choose a bass where the string saddles are close to the bottom edge of the body.

Be aware that the neck width at the nut can vary on s-s basses between 36mm and 40mm-plus and see if you can try different widths and profiles. Measure up the old gypsy rose as a bench-mark first.

Re the Vox Starstream, there's been negative feedback on here about the lower-priced version (original RRP around £500). I tried one and returned it in favour of the more expensive Artist version (original RRP around £1400). Quality-wise, this bass is in a completely different league than the cheaper version and mine (the twin-pickup A2S) is one of the best s-s basses I've ever played with a good tonal range from the active Aguilar vintage pickups. These ended up being discounted to £799 to clear remaining stock, so you could get a used one (if you can find one) for around half your budget.

Last but by no means least, think very carefully before you go for anything that looks a bit quirky. The bass guitar market is very conservative and 'P/J-centric', so that's what your band-mates (and even audiences) may be more comfortable with.

All things considered, I'd go for a good, used Sandberg Lionel or a Maruszczyk Jake or Elwood - according to taste. I've owned and gigged all three and you won't go wrong with any of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1