Why become a member? ×

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Really like the sound and groove of this JMJ Japanese mustang by Marlowe DK 

I didn’t know they made JMJ’s in Japan unless it’s a typo? Does sound ace though!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adee said:

I didn’t know they made JMJ’s in Japan unless it’s a typo

Very possibly Adee, I don’t know much about them and was going by the description in the video , nice playing and great sounding bass, I’m wary to start looking at them because you know what happens 😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bnt said:

Does anyone have any experience with the (Bill) Wyman Bass from Bass Centre? I didn't know about it before today. It's 30" scale, small body, £600 new.

These tick most of my boxes. I've often looked at them and been tempted but never got any further than that. Bill W did gig the bass with the RKs, at least for a while. Strap balance could be a problem given the position of the lower button. Don't know exactly where it is but it's certainly not at F12.

Edited by scrumpymike

This was a bit of a spur of the moment decision but after seeing it on Thomann's B-Stock page at a very good price I thought I'd chance my arm. 

I've been looking for a lightweight bass for a while now due to back and hip problems as a result of lots of rugby and recently tried (and returned) an Epiphone Newport. I had bid on a Pelham Blue Jack Casady recently that sadly was withdrawn but was unsure of how the body shape would sit on me with a 34" scale neck. 

Anyway, I had one of these Guilds before and foolishly decided to move it on, so when one came up in Pelham Blue and weighing in at under 7lbs I decided to go for it. It arrived today and after a bit of minor tweaking (mainly pickup height) I strung it with a set of TI Flats which "just" about work from a length perspective (slightly too long on the G) it's ready to go and sounds great. For a B-Stock instrument I can't see a mark on it.

After a break from short scales I'm really pleased the way this one hangs on a strap.  

2A7131C9-179F-4BA3-AAF7-B3F81BBB095B.jpeg

ECCFCCB2-47F4-492D-AC75-91D2C0B1E7CE.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

This was a bit of a spur of the moment decision but after seeing it on Thomann's B-Stock page at a very good price I thought I'd chance my arm. 

I've been looking for a lightweight bass for a while now due to back and hip problems as a result of lots of rugby and recently tried (and returned) an Epiphone Newport. I had bid on a Pelham Blue Jack Casady recently that sadly was withdrawn but was unsure of how the body shape would sit on me with a 34" scale neck. 

Anyway, I had one of these Guilds before and foolishly decided to move it on, so when one came up in Pelham Blue and weighing in at under 7lbs I decided to go for it. It arrived today and after a bit of minor tweaking (mainly pickup height) I strung it with a set of TI Flats which "just" about work from a length perspective (slightly too long on the G) it's ready to go and sounds great. For a B-Stock instrument I can't see a mark on it.

After a break from short scales I'm really pleased the way this one hangs on a strap.  

2A7131C9-179F-4BA3-AAF7-B3F81BBB095B.jpeg

ECCFCCB2-47F4-492D-AC75-91D2C0B1E7CE.jpeg

Very nice Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2023 at 09:43, fretmeister said:

My Vox just arrived and it is going straight back.

The action is so high that even with the E string bridge saddle bottomed out the E string is 6mm off the fretboard at the last fret. This is not a set up issue.

I've asked for an exchange as I really like the bass - it's lightweight, it balances very well and it looks cool. But it's unplayable.

Hopefully the replacement will be ok.

They delivered the replacement today.

Unfortunately the twonks delivered the J pickup version and not the MM version I actually ordered.

I'm going to get a refund. I can't be dealing with this nonsense.

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, fretmeister said:

They delivered the replacement today.

Unfortunately the twonks delivered the J pickup version and not the MM version I actually ordered.

I'm going to get a refund. I can't be dealing with this nonsense.

One way and another, they're not doing themselves many favours!

• Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 09:43, fretmeister said:

My Vox just arrived and it is going straight back.

The action is so high that even with the E string bridge saddle bottomed out the E string is 6mm off the fretboard at the last fret. This is not a set up issue.

I've asked for an exchange as I really like the bass - it's lightweight, it balances very well and it looks cool. But it's unplayable.

Hopefully the replacement will be ok.

Was it a red one by any chance? I've just received a red one and the action is way too high. I've tried tweaking the truss rod and still can't get it as low as I'd like. I'm just wondering if it's the one you returned.

9 minutes ago, tazza1 said:

Was it a red one by any chance? I've just received a red one and the action is way too high. I've tried tweaking the truss rod and still can't get it as low as I'd like. I'm just wondering if it's the one you returned.

You do realize that string action is adjusted at the bridge saddles, not the truss rod, which is supposed to set neck relief, right?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You do realize that string action is adjusted at the bridge saddles, not the truss rod, which is supposed to set neck relief, right?

Yes I do - there's also quite a concave bow in the neck hence tweaking the truss rod.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 23:08, tazza1 said:

@tazza1

What's the serial number?

I took some photos that I can have a look at this evening.

10 minutes ago, dieseldalziel said:

NBD...for my son's birthday...great in all respects other than it looks like it's had a little drop on the strap button..is it worth sending back?

16813166992413202750612951595819.jpg

PXL_20230412_162112223.jpg

PXL_20230412_162146016.MP.jpg

I would certainly report it to the dealer (Thomann?). At the least they might refund you a few quid. It would be a pain to have to send it back though, especially as it is birthday present.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dieseldalziel said:

NBD...for my son's birthday...great in all respects other than it looks like it's had a little drop on the strap button..is it worth sending back?

PXL_20230412_162146016.MP.jpg

Yep, that's had a bash on the strap button alright. Provided you're otherwise 100% happy with the bass, I'd unscrew/remove the button first and if no damage to the wood. Then send this pic to Thomann saying you don't consider it's worth full RRP as received but you may keep it if they refund the difference between A and B stock value. In my experience, their after-sales support is excellent.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2023 at 14:56, grenadillabama said:

I have the blue Guild Starfire I ready to be shipped to me . Will this beauty sound like Glen Cornick's bass on the early Jethro Tull albums ? I used to play "Boray" in my Highschool band The Eye. I loved Tull then . Stand Up was the album. 

You shall find out shortly, and then let us know, along with obligatory photos of your new bass.

I loved Jethro Tull as a young man, everything up to Heavy Horses, which I was disappointed with.  I bought a flute but struggled to find anyone to teach me so I gave up and sold it!  40 years later, there is probably an internet flute lessons site but back in the early 80s, there was nothing.