Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I like the sound of that.  How does it manage this - I assume it is some sort of capacitor?*  Or something?

*I apologise.  This makes it sound like I know what I am talking about - I am clueless.  

Calling @neepheid and @msb for technical explanation.

Way back my favourite rig was a 1 x 18 Marshall sound bouncer ( folded horn type monster) and two Hiwatt 4 x 12 with 50w Goodman speakers fitted 200w per cab). The stack was driven by a HH 120w slave and the Marshall driven by a 120w HH B120 head.

The low end thunder always made sure my bowels were super cleared 😂

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Yup arrived on time curtesy of Guitarguitar ,great service. 

Very good quality of finish for such a reasonable price point. MIC great neck finish, no sharp frets, lovely gloss finish just like the Gibson necks does not appear to be sticky at all.

I could swear that the fretboard was rosewood but the spec states otherwise. No neck dive, a well balanced bass on strap or knee.

Tuners seem fine and the tailpiece and two bolt bridge offer more than enough intonation adjustment.

I don't feel the need to up grade the arrangement. I may possibly reverse the bridge to improve access to the intonation screwheads.

Pickups sound fantastic. Neck PU has that familiar and faithful EBO timbre, bold, woody, deep forceful drive ( think of Felix Pappalardi in Mountain) .

The TB Pro is positioned to offer both an EB3 honk ( think of Free's Mr Big) but also a driving Thunderbird vibe ( think of the Who & Entwistle). When the TB Pro is solo's there's even a smidgen of Stingray lurking.

I feel that the control VBT loom would benefit from a @KiOgon upgrade to exploit the full potential of the Pups. 

Weight is around 3.7Kgs. 

For £350 it's a handsome bass, sounds great, reminds me of the '67 I once owned and is very close to the '64 I always wanted.

I have read all the stuff regarding the p××s poor marketing launch but I am very content and pleased with this reissue that sounds and feels a great bass. BTW the neck profile is bang on like my Epiphone Alan Woody Rumble Kat. ( Forgot to say that the Newporter fits the Rumble Kat hard case "snugly")

Congrats Epiphone for offering such a great Newport reissue. 

Looks a bit like the Serek Midwestern. *Slight* difference in price though. 😬

• Like 2

Very pleased to report that I’ve managed to acquire an Ibanez GSRM25 … a five string 28.6 inch scale bass.

image.png.7014f4e6decb6ca7c4bfa115b363f7f3.png

‘Ibby’ arrived with some damage to the finish around the end strap pin, but Muziker refunded me £100 (apx 40%) in compensation. I’m very happy with her in all other respects (tho have some minor mods planned) and am delighted to be able to finally own one of these, I find the very short scale works great for me (preventing fretting hand cramping) and she is so light!

Came with roundwounds, which I’d like to change to flats … any suggestions from other owners (I know Newtone can probably help but not sure if they do flats)

S’manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 9

Newtone don't do flats unfortunately.

Looking at the headstock I think the B will be the issue. Have to measure up some short 30 inch flats and see if the main part of the string would need to go round the post. La Bella make some lovely short flats but they advise against letting the main part get wound on the post.

• Like 1

Dunlop make/sell a short scale 5 string stainless flatwound set but they are eye wateringly expensive, even more than the Galli strings.

The strings Squier fit to the mustang bass have the winding on the post, I reckon maybe just standard scale strings cut down to length after fitting, I do wonder if LaBella and co are overly fussy about windings on the post to be honest, you could try the cheapest set of 5 string flats you can find and see how they go. When I had the J&D short 4 strings, same 762mm scale length I put standard short scale flats/tapes on them which had windings on the post on the E  strings at least with no issues that I found, though ymmv

Edited by Aidan63
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The Dunlop flats are amazing - but they've doubled in price in the last year.

I always used to use them, but I'm not dropping £95 on a 5 string set of bass strings.

WHAT? That's crazy! My preferred EB Cobalt flats aren't cheap, but they're 'only' £60 a set for a 5 string.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smanth said:

Very pleased to report that I’ve managed to acquire an Ibanez GSRM25 … a five string 28.6 inch scale bass.

Came with roundwounds, which I’d like to change to flats … any suggestions from other owners (I know Newtone can probably help but not sure if they do flats)

S’manth x

The Dunlop 5-string s-s flats set is listed at £114.99 on Strings Direct! I have no relevant experience but if I had a s-s 5er, I'd be tempted to buy a cheap 4-string set and try to source a single, heavy-gauge, high-tension E to use as the B.

The cheapest 4-string set of s-s flats that I know of is the Hofner 040-095 Contemporary series at £26.99, also from Strings Direct.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, msb said:

I love the dots and satin finish! Recently put a Hipshot on mine. Mine has blocks and a gloss , but I prefer the dots and satin.

Cheers.  The best thing is it doesn't neck dive.  Miraculous.  

Edited by grayn
  • Like 1

Just put some Elixir rounds on the Squier. They fit fine, no problem winding the E string around the post. I really like my 'stangs. Notice how the body shape has changed over time - the Squier has a more rounded bottom. I think the JMJ is the same; more body behind the bridge. 

For £300 the Squier is great, the fretwork is fine and needed only a slight fettle, and the tuners are ok, a bit rough but they hold tune well. 

IMG_4019.jpeg

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, ped said:

Just put some Elixir rounds on the Squier. They fit fine, no problem winding the E string around the post. I really like my 'stangs. Notice how the body shape has changed over time - the Squier has a more rounded bottom. I think the JMJ is the same; more body behind the bridge. 

For £300 the Squier is great, the fretwork is fine and needed only a slight fettle, and the tuners are fine, a bit rough but they hold tune well. 

IMG_4019.jpeg

I definitely prefer the older shape, less of the ‘sucked sweet’ look.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I am not normally a fan of modding an original/vintage bass but your Mustang looks the bees knees @ped

Cheers, luckily it was pre modded so I didn’t have to feel bad about it. I used it live for the first time last weekend and the range of sounds is crazy - I don’t know if the short scale accentuates it but changes in the pickup pan, tone control and hand position yielded so many sounds each of which worked perfectly in a mix. 

• Like 3