Jump to content
julietgreen

When will you start gigging again?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

So - for UK members - how is the ensuring that music isn't played played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult bit being done?  Or are we just sticking two fingers up to it and gigging regardless?

well the 2 we've done, the venues have wanted 'acoustic' which means I play electro acoustic guitar, but because we also used normal (acoustic) drums we needed a PA which meant we were nearly as loud as normal, one outside which wasn't too bad for normal conversation, one inside which wasn't, both went well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

So - for UK members - how is the ensuring that music isn't played played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult bit being done?  Or are we just sticking two fingers up to it and gigging regardless?

We ask the manager/landlord what kind of performance they need from us, to keep an ear on levels during the gig (which they usually do, walking around the audience), and to tell me whether they need to go up or down. If they don't say anything during the first set, I will go to them and ask if everything's fine, which in the case of our bands it usually is. (I keep the volume under tight control at all times, social distancing or not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

 (I keep the volume under tight control at all times, social distancing or not.)

Our singer would love to be in a band with you! We're not mega loud either.

I remember a great comment on here a while ago about playing volumes and a member commented that his band was so loud that you'd need to leave the pub, get on a bus and travel at least two stops to even hear yourself think! Loved that comment!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Our singer would love to be in a band with you! We're not mega loud either.

The key, for both of our bands, is to keep the backline volume just high enough for the band to hear themselves, and then have PA backup (even in 'acoustic' setups - you always need the PA for vocals anyway). That way, I can control exactly what the audience hears. I have been known to yell at guitarists until they lowered their combos' volume, or else. 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I have been known to yell at guitarists until they lowered their combos' volume, or else. 😉

TBH, I have been known to yell at the bass player to turn himself down, as well, or be taken off the PA*...

* Low frequencies don't need the PA's help as badly as higher frequencies, anyway, especially at a distance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2020 at 11:16, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I guess our 7 piece are screwed for rehearsals then? 🙄

 

On 09/09/2020 at 11:22, paul_c2 said:

You'll have to wait for the guidelines/law to be published later (today I think), to see if appropriately socially distanced band rehearsals are a valid exemption.

The new guidance is now available but its more vague than ever! In summary, social gatherings >6 are illegal, if its "work" you can still do it though; rehearsals are NOT on the exemptions list (but sport/recreation is); and the guidelines specifically relating to performing arts haven't been altered to distinguish between amateur and pro (previously they allowed pro but not amateur; on 15 Aug it was changed to allow both). So, they're somewhat contradictory. Here is the latest document though, make of it what you will:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

 

The new guidance is now available but its more vague than ever! In summary, social gatherings >6 are illegal, if its "work" you can still do it though; rehearsals are NOT on the exemptions list (but sport/recreation is); and the guidelines specifically relating to performing arts haven't been altered to distinguish between amateur and pro (previously they allowed pro but not amateur; on 15 Aug it was changed to allow both). So, they're somewhat contradictory. Here is the latest document though, make of it what you will:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Thanks mate. One of the band sent that out last night. Clear as mud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from the BBC News site. Live gigs will not be allowed.

 

BBC News - Pubs.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mep said:

This from the BBC News site. Live gigs will not be allowed.

 

BBC News - Pubs.JPG

I found this article online but the article is dated 4th August, so superseded by the announcements later in August announcing that gigs were permitted from 15th August

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DaytonaRik said:

Does this apply to professionals or amateurs?  I'm pretty sure that these are aimed at professional performers and productions?

Honestly? I can't be arsed to read it 😄

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Does this apply to professionals or amateurs?  I'm pretty sure that these are aimed at professional performers and productions?

Read the document! It says so in it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a set of contradictory information - one document says you can go to watch a dramatic, musical or comedy show either indoors or out, yet the working guidelines for pubs, bars and restaurants say that outdoor performances should be encouraged and that they should ensure that music isn't played played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult.

Can't they just say yes or no?  I'm not bothered either way - just give me a definite guideline, without any ambiguity and in simple to read English!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, its contradictory!

I think it needs to be interpreted as such though. Note, this is just my opinion, I'm not an expert etc:

1. There is a guideline that says a bunch of stuff about performing arts and rehearsals etc. In that, it says amateurs and pros can do it in a Covid-secure way. (15th Aug)

2. There is a law which says you can't meet in groups >6 except for (a list of exemptions including) work. Thus, a group of <=6 could still rehearse; if its a group of >6 then it would need to be "work" ie professionals otherwise they're breaking the law. (effective 14th Sept)

2 overrides 1 - because its law, not guidance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

I found this article online but the article is dated 4th August, so superseded by the announcements later in August announcing that gigs were permitted from 15th August

 

The article I read is dated 10th September. Confusion reigns!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2020 at 04:39, PaulWarning said:

well I stand chastised then, but will add Blue has told us numerous times that he's gigging again, personally I'm more interested in how the gigs went with the constrictions of the covid regulations

All of our Post Covid gigs have been outside, public and private.

Social distancing for outside gigs has not been a problem except for that Beach Resort I didn't see much distancing. 

We have our first inside public post covid gig coming up on 9/26 at The Harley Davidson Motor. I think Harley will have strict distancing policy abd logistics in place.

Blue

FB_IMG_1599788178159.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2020 at 17:09, 12stringbassist said:

Our jam session (so many safety rules I don't know if I am allowed in) should be interesting on Sunday, then...

Could be very interesting. Just heard from a pal of mine who got shut down tonight in Darwen. Got raided by the police. That was a solo act. 

At least he got paid though. 🙂

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

Could be very interesting. Just heard from a pal of mine who got shut down tonight in Darwen. Got raided by the police. That was a solo act. 

At least he got paid though. 🙂

Would be interesting to know what for - too noisy, lack of social distancing, or just not allowed? Or is Darwen one of those places with additional rules, I can't remember?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Would be interesting to know what for - too noisy, lack of social distancing, or just not allowed? Or is Darwen one of those places with additional rules, I can't remember?

I'm pretty certain it's under enhanced rules, but it looks like venues can be open.

 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/blackburn-with-darwen-oldham-pendle-local-restrictions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

I'm pretty certain it's under enhanced rules, but it looks like venues can be open.

 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/blackburn-with-darwen-oldham-pendle-local-restrictions

It appears that inside the pub, ( and that may be the issue. Is a pub a music venue ), the tables were well laid out and punters were limited.

Outside, however it was rammed, particularly in a car park at the rear. The guy who was appearing is a massive draw. He's a major pull on the Northern Soul scene and I guess a huge number of people wanted to see him.

How you stop a Northern crowd from dancing though. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2020 at 09:13, knirirr said:

There's one planned for next week but presumably it will be cancelled.
 

To my complete lack of surprise it has been; the pub landlord is concerned about being fined, and I don't blame him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new rule in Scotland says no more than two households.... which means that our 4-piece band can’t even practice. We’re bummed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The government guideance was updated again yesterday:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do 

They've clarified what happens for "amateur musical groups", although it is still not black and white. Since the Police would probably use this same guideline for deciding whether to issue a £100 FPN, I'd not risk it in my circumstance but other groups/bands >6 members (England) may decide to still go ahead:

3.19 Can I go to my hobby club / amateur musical group / other leisure activity?

It is against the law to gather in groups of more than six, where people are from different households or support bubbles. The rule above does not mean that there cannot be more than six people in any one place. All activities for under 18s are exempt. There can be multiple groups of six people in a place, provided that those groups do not mingle.

In practice, however, this will make it difficult for some activities to take place without breaking the law. Activities where there is a significant likelihood of groups of more than six mingling – and therefore breaking the law – should not take place until further COVID-19 Secure guidance has been developed and approved to enable the activity to happen safely. This may include extended tour groups, large banquet dinners, society or club meetings, or amateur music or drama rehearsals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...