Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

19 minutes ago, peety said:

Most venues near us seem to be going down the solo / duo route which is probably understandable because of cost , while we understand the situation and are quite prepared to help out our regular venues by reducing normal fees,  we won’t be playing anywhere for free and won’t be taken advantage off especially when they’re selling tickets. 

I don’t blame you either. We wouldn’t go out for free especially if the venue is selling tickets. That takes the P155! 

Sadly, bands are already saying they will play for free.  A post on a midlands music group on FB got torn apart last week because a band proudly announced they were going to play for free for the foreseeable to support venues (raise their profile).   The more bands that make such announcements, the more venues are going to expect bands bending over to perform.  It’s so wrong.

it’s a pandemic.  For my function band to get back on the circuit, our fee will increase due to the risk, as opposed to decrease! Bands are doing favours by playing in the first place, not the other way around.

• Like 3

There's no right or wrong response, as everyone is having to make their own decisions.

In principle the Musicians Union could canvas its members and then promote a policy. However, most small bands, many playing for pleasure not profit, are not members.

Also, big pub chains could adopt positive policies and set an example.

• Like 1

Got a gig at 7.30 tonight at a 3 day mini music fest. Love a gig where there's a supplied P.A and engineer. Normal fee so lucky there but could be a few problems as I'm one of two deps in a 4 piece band and the singer and guitarist are bricking it😆.  At least the two deps are me and the drummer and I've played with him before a couple of times.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Ha ha, gig update. Back home with double espresso in front of the telly by 10.15. Rained off after 5 numbers, headliners never even got to play.

Not bad, got paid so, 30€ per song👍

Felt really sorry for the organisers though.

Sadly this is the problem with the current situation and having to play outdoors, Winter will be looming fast and that will be that option closed.☹️

I have my first gig since March a week tomorrow. I play bass in a Bowie tribute and we are doing a 45 min set in a 4-piece (rather than 6-piece) lineup, which means I get to play lead guitar for a change. We will be playing outdoors at a pub that lets us rehearse FOC in their skittle alley, so happy to help them even if we don’t get paid much/anything.

Rehearsal this week was hugely enjoyable, can’t wait for the gig - fingers crossed for decent weather.

Our next gig is on 5th September, it's an online benefit for Hope Orphanage in Sierra Leone organised by Punk 4 The Homeless.

Funnily enough, we'll be playing for free... But this isn't really a problem as firstly, it's about helping kids orphaned by ebola, and secondly, we'll be playing in my conservatory!

• Like 1

I'll be playing at the Port Mahon in Oxford if the weather holds (outdoor gig, obviously). Same band I played yet another of our 'mini festivals in a field' with yesterday. We thought that was the end of them, as  during the second band's set a couple of police arrived. They'd had a report of someone carry amplifiers in the field and thought there was going to be an illegal rave until they saw us! Hopefully, we can do a few more before the weather closes in.

Weird that things here are not the same as in the UK. The French government are taking things seriously but maybe it's the attitude of the venue owners and punters. Last night was the third gig for me in 8 days albeit that they were all outside and dependent on weather.

The attached picture gives a clue to the farce that was to unfold 40 mins before starting last night's first set. So, if you add together, a stage right 500 ltr rainwater tank, a protruding tap, an inattentive french lead guitarist, I'm sure you'll figure out what happened. Took approximately 40 mins with towels and a hairdryer  to dry the entire drum kit, the WIFI mixer and his pedal board😆

20200822_180957.jpg

• Sad 1

On 22/08/2020 at 09:55, Paul S said:

5th September for me, too.  My blues rock trio has been offered an outdoor gig.  Yippee!

The Pickerel Inn, Stowmarket, if anyone wants to come along and heckle.

There isn't a right lot of outdoors at The Pickerel, unless they've boarded over the car park. And then there are the noise issues!

22 minutes ago, pete.young said:

There isn't a right lot of outdoors at The Pickerel, unless they've boarded over the car park. And then there are the noise issues!

8-10, apparently.  No idea re outside space!  Played there once indoors and it was dark when I arrived :) 

Had my first gig since March this bank holiday Sunday too. Pub was well set up for social distancing and everyone was taking notice of it. Felt great to be playing in front of people again and it looks like it wasn't as cold as Silvias gig. I have no idea when I'll be gigging next. 

redhead300820.jpg.62ca0055c904330dbb1e7bbd58a19047.jpg

• Like 3