Why become a member? ×

56 P bass...what a tone. Have I really lost out all these years?

P-Belly Evans

Oh my days. I have just watched this. I know it's Bobby Vega, but the tone is quite possibly the best thing I have ever heard, especially the bit at the end when he plays Wind Cries Mary... Now if you watch the same session with the 60s/80s P and Jazz, they don't come close for me. Has he added some extra flavour or are these bad boys that good? I know Dusty Hill swears by his, but I could never get over the look (pick guard and headstock especially I think). Feel a bit sick that I could have completely ignored this style of bass due to aesthetics alone😞

• Like 3

There’s something about the original Precision basses, I really like them but always move them on due to knowing I won’t use them in a band setting (even though I have in the past). I really should get past that as now not being in a gigging band my choice of instruments is adapting somewhat. But back on topic, yes the sound is somewhat different to a regular Precision, though not much, and seems to have a magic quality to it that’s difficult to put into words.

• Like 1

I had one for a while a CS relic 55, sold it to @Beedster

They sound sort of like a soloed Jazz neck pickup.

I love how they look - but the neck was HUUUGE. Wide like a P should be, but then deep too - even more so than my mates MIJ 51.

I never gelled, and flogged it to buy a Blue CS 64 Jazz. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lozz196 said:

There’s something about the original Precision basses, I really like them but always move them on due to knowing I won’t use them in a band setting (even though I have in the past). I really should get past that as now not being in a gigging band my choice of instruments is adapting somewhat. But back on topic, yes the sound is somewhat different to a regular Precision, though not much, and seems to have a magic quality to it that’s difficult to put into words.

Yeah man, it really sang in that clip. Really blew me away. My Thunderbird sings a bit like that, but the mahogany and really hot pickups give it a growlier vibe (utterly brilliant in its own right mind). That P sounded so pure. 

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I had one for a while a CS relic 55, sold it to @Beedster

They sound sort of like a soloed Jazz neck pickup.

I love how they look - but the neck was HUUUGE. Wide like a P should be, but then deep too - even more so than my mates MIJ 51.

I never gelled, and flogged it to buy a Blue CS 64 Jazz. 

Deep necks are a bit of a turn off for me too. My new Vintera Mustang is as deep as I can go. 

It rules mainly because of Bobby, if you saw me play it, it would put you off as it would sound like strumming a crusty turd.

This guitar is awesome, so much so I am in the process of making a body pretty much from scratch from a piece of Ash. Managed to get a good second hand deal on a Seymour Duncan 51 P stack (same one as Dusty Hill bass) and will get the appropriate neck when I see it.

I don’t mind a bat either.

i am hoping it will be OK - am contouring it for comfort and weight reduction, but should look the business

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, martthebass said:

Sounds really sweet. Maybe a touch of chorus in the train?

Sounds like that to me too. 

FWIW I had a ‘68 Tele bass with the same pickup configuration, bought online. I thought the sound would suit me based on clips I’d heard, but it really, really didn’t. In fact nothing about it suited me, neck, ergonomics, tone. It went straight back. 

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

This guitar is awesome, so much so I am in the process of making a body pretty much from scratch from a piece of Ash. Managed to get a good second hand deal on a Seymour Duncan 51 P stack (same one as Dusty Hill bass) and will get the appropriate neck when I see it.

Yes, well worth the effort of trying to get the 'sound'. A great combination of instrument and player - Bobby showed me his Shark Bass at a London Bass Guitar Show some years back, then demo'd his technique which was just amazing. He said when he was young he couldn't afford effects pedals so he used to mimic those effects (echo etc.) through technique alone. 

As to his other equipment you'll see, in another YouTube video (the one on the Fender 1980 Jazz) made at the same session, that he's using his favourite Glockenklang rig with an original Bass Art amp. The preamp on that allows for a wide range of tones from subtle overdrive to super clean. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, baldwinbass said:

Yes, well worth the effort of trying to get the 'sound'. A great combination of instrument and player - Bobby showed me his Shark Bass at a London Bass Guitar Show some years back, then demo'd his technique which was just amazing. He said when he was young he couldn't afford effects pedals so he used to mimic those effects (echo etc.) through technique alone. 

As to his other equipment you'll see, in another YouTube video (the one on the Fender 1980 Jazz) made at the same session, that he's using his favourite Glockenklang rig with an original Bass Art amp. The preamp on that allows for a wide range of tones from subtle overdrive to super clean. 

Seen those videos, what a player and just great use of the kit he has, always seems a really nice guy

It doesn't matter what incredible bass you hear Bobby Vega playing, you'll never sound like him.

If you spent your time up until today liking the sound you got then you haven't missed out on anything.

Always buy the best bass you can afford. The one that sounds right. Then, try to play like your heroes, but never try to sound exactly like them. You never will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

It doesn't matter what incredible bass you hear Bobby Vega playing, you'll never sound like him.

If you spent your time up until today liking the sound you got then you haven't missed out on anything.

Always buy the best bass you can afford. The one that sounds right. Then, try to play like your heroes, but never try to sound exactly like them. You never will.

I do not believe it is anything to do with his playing. I really dig Bobby Vega obviously (his playing accompanied the guests into my wedding venue), and have been influenced by him. In that same session he plays a 60s P I think, an 1980 P too, I think also a Jazz. Now unless he has added something  additional to the mix with the 56, then the 56 just runs away with it for me. I have all the basses I need at the moment, love them all, but this tone really turned my head, not Vegas playing.

3 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Whenever I see an early 50s P, I can think of one thing only; Sting!

Oooh I forgot about that. Sorry to those who like him but cheers Vibes.... gas well and truly over 😀🥂. Holding what sounds like a baseball bat size neck thinking of him in some tantric sex pose is not worth any tone in the world😳

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Martin E said:

A wonderful bass in the hands of a master but I've always wondered why Leo chose to cover such a vast area of the instrument with unecessary plastic. Later copies without any pickguard  look much more elegant to my eyes.

Totally agree. Thets one of the reasons I never even considered one. 

10 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Surely we can’t forget Mr Gibbons as well with a 50’s P

Dusty Hill😎 And I did mention him in the first post.  Apart from that spot on Cuzzie😂....Apologise for the public shaming there, you will have many chances to return the favour with my uneducated ramblings amongst these hallowed pages I can assure you😜

18 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Oh my days. I have just watched this. I know it's Bobby Vega, but the tone is quite possibly the best thing I have ever heard, especially the bit at the end when he plays Wind Cries Mary... Now if you watch the same session with the 60s/80s P and Jazz, they don't come close for me. Has he added some extra flavour or are these bad boys that good? I know Dusty Hill swears by his, but I could never get over the look (pick guard and headstock especially I think). Feel a bit sick that I could have completely ignored this style of bass due to aesthetics alone😞

I'm the opposite, I like the look but just don't like the sound. Sting gets a woolly kind of sound out of his and if he can't get a decent sound out of it, I doubt I'd be able to.

1 hour ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Dusty Hill😎 And I did mention him in the first post.  Apart from that spot on Cuzzie😂....Apologise for the public shaming there, you will have many chances to return the favour with my uneducated ramblings amongst these hallowed pages I can assure you😜

I am up for public shaming and I will be looking Out no doubt.

Will try to remember to drop you a line when I have built mine

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I am up for public shaming and I will be looking Out no doubt.

Will try to remember to drop you a line when I have built mine

I'd love to see it Cuzzie. Never really had the nouse to make any instrument so am well impressed by those that can and do. Basic set up only for me...... although the first time I tried that, the whole bridge lifted out of my EBO😳. Fixed it mind. Good luck with it. How about a work in progress thread? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P-Belly Evans said:

I'd love to see it Cuzzie. Never really had the nouse to make any instrument so am well impressed by those that can and do. Basic set up only for me...... although the first time I tried that, the whole bridge lifted out of my EBO😳. Fixed it mind. Good luck with it. How about a work in progress thread? 

Photo’s being stored up and will do

22 hours ago, therealting said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2I had a beautiful one made by Bravewood, got stolen at the end of 2018 along with a Dingwall, a Godin and a Sadowsky. Really hope to get it back one day. 

F04AC755-0AF9-43B1-9F41-02179BF4D708.jpeg.b89d7d217c3fe4fcdb46983e88a03547.jpeg

That cannot have been a great day :(