Why become a member? ×

Practice through headphones

roger

Ok, I’m sure it’s been addressed a lot but what would be the best way to play along to my playlist from phone or tablet into my Bluetooth headphones? (So the bass is obviously amplified through headphones) make sense??

cheers

26 minutes ago, roger said:

the best way

Depends what "best" means - cheapest, or highest audio quality, or something else?

Here are some popular options:
Zoom B1 Four
Phil Jones Bighead
Yamaha SessionCake

Or perhaps your existing amp head or pre-amp pedal, if it has an aux input and headphone output?

Your Bluetooth headphones might not be any good because of the latency (you'll pluck the string but won't hear it until 1/10 second later).

I am forced to practise through headphones due to four people  being in the house. Stepson and his girlfriend who NEVER go out. It's driving me mad. I have this amazing set up that I can't play through, so am forced to go through the mixing desk into my powered near field speakers and using Bose noise cancelling headphones. At lease I can play now instead of practising unplugged, although the sound is nothing like the real thing.

8 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Don’t use Bluetooth for headphones-it’s crap, latency will kill you

Focusrite iTrack Solo, One pre

iRig

Palmer pocket amp

loads out there

Does the new iRig app have bass amps on it?

1 hour ago, ubit said:

Does the new iRig app have bass amps on it?

Been a while since I used it, but if I remember correctly it does, AmpliTube has some and you can use Garageband which is free and that has a tube amp which is actually pretty tasty - of course you can put any of your pre-amps etc you have in front of it. 

Bit more bulky but you can get a cheap mixer like a xenyx 502 pop bass in a channel, phone or audio device in an aux in and headphones in that.

If it’s just a static device not for transport (as it’s bulkier than other listed here) it’ll do a job and may have other uses down the line, extra slots for other instruments/microphone 

6 hours ago, acidbass said:

Plenty of reason to avoid this for home practice - see the other thread re volume balance issues. I had to send mine back! Good for recording however.

Yep - not perfect by any means - but you can get em reasonably priced and it comes usually with multiple connectors for different devices and needs no extra power supply.

I’m using my line 6 firehawk at the moment, only because I have one anyway and it works!

bluetooth steaming from my phone and good bass amp models on it to download.

There are loads of options out there, all good.

I previously used the Blackstar Fly. Sounds great with headphones.

I just use my laptop, plug my bass into the mic socket via an adapter ( I also use a Behringer BDI21 to even out volume issues and fatten up the bass sound, but it's not essential), headphones in the headphone socket, also use audacity to play along to tracks which I can slow down or change the key if required.

As has been mentioned, blue tooth is not a good idea due to latency issues

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Been a while since I used it, but if I remember correctly it does, AmpliTube has some and you can use Garageband which is free and that has a tube amp which is actually pretty tasty - of course you can put any of your pre-amps etc you have in front of it. 

It's frustrating at the moment because I have an iPhone 7, which doesn't have a headphone socket. I have an old iRig which needs a headphone socket. My iPad has a headphone socket but can't download the app as it needs a more recent update. I try to update it and it says its got the latest version.🤨 Basically, I am going to have to buy the new iRig which uses a lightning connector to plug into the phones charging port instead but I cant afford to buy a new I Rig until I get back working.

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

Basically, I am going to have to buy the new iRig which uses a lightning connector to plug into the phones charging port instead but I cant afford to buy a new I Rig until I get back working.

I've got one you can have for free, I don't use it and don't have an iphone anymore! I'll message you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I've got one you can have for free, I don't use it and don't have an iphone anymore! I'll message you

I will give you something for it mate. I can't take something worth that much for nothing!

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2020 at 20:12, jrixn1 said:

Depends what "best" means - cheapest, or highest audio quality, or something else?

Here are some popular options:
Zoom B1 Four
Phil Jones Bighead
Yamaha SessionCake

Or perhaps your existing amp head or pre-amp pedal, if it has an aux input and headphone output?

Your Bluetooth headphones might not be any good because of the latency (you'll pluck the string but won't hear it until 1/10 second later).

Phil Jones Bighead +1

I’ve had all of these (don’t ask) and I found the Bighead to be amazing, but expensive. Don’t discount the importance of a decent pair of headphone (another plus for the Phil Jones headphones!).

I now have 2 session cake things, one for downstairs and one for the office. Personally I find it a more intuitive interface than the PJB. 

Sadly the Session Cake was super value at £10 but I don’t think they’re for sale at that price anymore!

• Like 1