Why become a member? ×

What bassists should have a Signature model?

Linus27

[quote name='Jase' post='418659' date='Feb 24 2009, 07:24 PM']Is there a Jack Bruce sig?[/quote]

Warwick do two in fact. One based on a Thumb, and another based on an SG shape with a bubinga top here: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72505"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72505[/url]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='418880' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:19 PM']But a stupid wing, at that. Harrier jump jet? Penguin?[/quote]
'81 Ford Capri offside front..?

EDIT: actually, a truly stupid wing would be a rear one off a '59 Caddy Coupe de Ville... ;)

[quote name='simon1964' post='418782' date='Feb 24 2009, 09:34 PM']Warwick do two in fact. One based on a Thumb, and another based on an SG shape with a bubinga top here: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72505"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72505[/url][/quote]

Looks a bit Wal-like.......wouldn't mind a crack at one of them!

[quote name='simon1964' post='418782' date='Feb 24 2009, 09:34 PM']Warwick do two in fact. One based on a Thumb, and another based on an SG shape with a bubinga top here: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72505"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=72505[/url][/quote]

I have had major GAS for that SG copy since they released it - it looks astounding!

I'd like to see Fender reissue the 1960 slab body Precision (as used by Entwistle, Steve Currie of T-Rex, Ace Kefford of the Move and various others), though the chances of that happening are extremely slim. I'd certainly buy one though!

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='418890' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:26 PM']Phil Lynott for definite. I'd like to see someone put out a Louis Johnson signature bass, but I don't know what would be special about it![/quote]
Treker made a Louis Johnson sig Bass in the 90s

The SG shaped one is a really nice bass, in fact IMO it's the only Warwick I've ever played that I didn't find totally horrible. There was one in the Bass centre when it was still a real shop, but they were asking £4000 for it! The GAK price is slightly more realistic but I would still have problems paying that much for a bass that hadn't been custom built to my specification.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='418890' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:26 PM']Phil Lynott for definite. I'd like to see someone put out a Louis Johnson signature bass, but I don't know what would be special about it![/quote]

Fender Japan made a limited reissue run of these which were basically 70's reissues with big TV logo, in black with mirror pickguard. A couple of us on this board are lucky owners of these.... ;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='419193' date='Feb 25 2009, 12:46 PM']* Jamerson Precision and Ronnie Lane Zemaitis. Not because I want one, but so their families (Zemaitis included) might make a few bob out of it.

* Andy Fraser EB0

* Foxton Rick

* Duck Dunn Precision

* Entwistle Fenderbird[/quote]

id love to see the Entwistle Fenderbird....Alembic made some sig basses called Spyders..and i own one of the Warwick Buzzards they made after his death...

[quote name='Linus27' post='418535' date='Feb 24 2009, 04:44 PM']Well, Adam's basses are,

AUERSWALD-A. Clayton Custom [fretless]-Yellow-[1996/97]
AUERSWALD-A. Clayton Custom [fretted]-Yellow-[1996/97]
EPIPHONE // Rivoli (hollow-body // 19xx // finish uncertain
FENDER - Jazz bass - [196x] candy apple red finish
FENDER - Jazz bass - [1961] sunburst finish
FENDER - Jazz bass - [1964] Sherwood Green finish
FENDER - Jazz bass - [1965] Shoreline Gold finish
FENDER - Jazz bass - [1966] sunburst finish
FENDER - Jazz bass - [1972] sunburst finish
FENDER - Jazz Deluxe Bass - [19xx] - vintage white finish (w. dark tortoiseshell pick guard)
FENDER - Precision bass - [19xx] - black finish/white pickguard
FENDER - Precision bass - [19xx] - white finish/tortoise pickguard
FENDER - Precision bass - [1972 or 1973] - sunburst finish/finish highly faded/Jazz neck
FENDER - Precision bass - [1997] - [finish confirmed]
GIBSON - Firebird bass - [19xx] - natural finish
GIBSON - Firebird bass (non-reverse) - [19xx] - natural finish
GIBSON - Les Paul Recording Bass - [197x] - white finish
GIBSON - RD bass - [19xx] - natural finish
IBANEZ - Musician bass - [19xx] - dark brown finish
IBANEZ - Roadstar bass - [19xx] - black finish
LAKLAND - Bob Glaub signature model - [Xxxx] - natural finish/black pickguard
LAKLAND - Daryl Jones signature model - [2005] - Metallic Gold / custom finish
LAKLAND - Daryl Jones signature model - [2005] - Metallic Teal / custom finish
LAKLAND - Daryl Jones signature model - [2005] - Natural finish (QTY. 2)
LAKLAND - Joe Osborne signature model - [Xxxx] - natural finish
LAKLAND - Joe Osborne signature model - [Xxxx] - tobacco sunburst finish
RICKENBACKER - 4001 bass - [19xx] - Fireglo finish
WASHBURN - acoustic bass - 198x - natural finish
ZON - Legacy bass - [pre-1986] - white finish

Last night on French TV he ws playing FENDER Jazz bass - [196x] candy apple red finish and FENDER Precision bass - [19xx] - white finish/tortoise pickguard. His main bass for years though was FENDER Precision bass [1972 or 1973] sunburst finish/finish highly faded/Jazz neck.[/quote]

Also some vids on u2.com where he's playing basses not in your list.

A Buzzard of some kind... looks to be gloss black finish so I'm guessing a Warwick JE sigature one (as opposed to the bolt ons as it had the proper Buzzard headstock)
A Warwick Stryker 4... looked to be all black, but maybe very dark brown wood. Looked as though the neck (not fingerboard) might've been maple too
A Fender Jazz in Burgundy Mist metallic with matching headstock, possibly a custom '62 re-sissue
A Fender P in a very dark teal/indigo blue kinda colour which looked new but with a scratchplate that had holes for pick-up cover.

Also, three of his DJ models, although based on the DJ4 are unique in that there's no binding on the necks. Lakland did do a limited run of Skylines with an Adam Clayton set-up... natural, black blocks, unbound. I believe one of our esteemed members here has one, though his was further customized with Chi-Sonic pick-ups.

[quote name='ARGH' post='418611' date='Feb 24 2009, 06:07 PM']Its at Myung's request,that the design is minimal....

I actually reckon the MKI is better in design and feel than the MKII..I see a few turn up on the Bay,but only in that odd turquiose blue colour.
The Veneer top looks nice,but the pots are cheap,and need replacing (this is from when Ive played them 2nd hand)..the 35" scale is a nice touch,as were the twin P/U's...The MKII looks awful to my eye.[/quote]

Isn't JM using a Bongo 6 these days?

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='419213' date='Feb 25 2009, 01:07 PM']id love to see the Entwistle Fenderbird....Alembic made some sig basses called Spyders..and i own one of the Warwick Buzzards they made after his death...[/quote]

Lakland made a Fenderbird for JE [url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-endorsements.html#lakland"]http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/ba...ts.html#lakland[/url] though saly it's never seen production.

A Cliff Williams MM Stingray!!!!!

Of course, in tobacco sunburst and maple neck/board.

Or Fender could replicate his approx. '62 sunburst Precision with repaired scratchplate (the controls and jack are on an added metal plate).

I wish he could have a Jazz, but I've only seen him with one once in footage from about 1981.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='420099' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:31 PM']Lakland did do a limited run of Skylines with an Adam Clayton set-up... natural, black blocks, unbound. I believe one of our esteemed members here has one, though his was further customized with Chi-Sonic pick-ups.[/quote]

Now that I would kill to see and would quite possibly love to own. Anyone know who here has it or got any pictures of this bass??

[quote name='Leowasright' post='420359' date='Feb 26 2009, 08:16 PM']A Cliff Williams MM Stingray!!!!!

Of course, in tobacco sunburst and maple neck/board.

Or Fender could replicate his approx. '62 sunburst Precision with repaired scratchplate (the controls and jack are on an added metal plate).

I wish he could have a Jazz, but I've only seen him with one once in footage from about 1981.[/quote]
I sold one of his basses through The Gallery recently. It wasn't a Stingray though.

Further to a couple of comments earlier, I think the mcartney bass associated with rickenbacker was the c64 4001 that is all mapleglo finish and construction similar to the Chris Squire model without edge bindings and there was a six stringed guitar made back in the ninties with a body shaped like a cadillac coupe deville rear wing but I don,t know wether a bass model was ever produced, the guitar had a tremolo fitted that also operated the brake light on the tip of the wing as I recall.