Jump to content
fiatcoupe432

Overwater underrated or overrated?

Recommended Posts

Just now, TheGreek said:

 

https://www.thejoint.org.uk/

Is there any charge for this?? Times??

normally from 11/12  till late afternoon,

there is no charge for entry,

phil man will be there all day along with Chris and Kirsty the owners,

mo foster usually turns up a few of the players from theatre land etc

i will be coming up from Hastings my wife needs no excuse to go shopping while I go to the joint,need to probably discuss a fretless

it is usually pretty cool,just never know who you will bump into

cheers

hope you find this of interest

stef

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's nice I wish I knew this before

However 8 see loads of people complain about the weight.

I never had a problem for basses weighing more then 5kg

I mean I played loads of gigs but most of gigs weren't more then 50 min so no a issue for me

so do you always playing standing or do you  4 5 hours straight? Why suddenly everyone has problem with weight? I 7ndwrstand few people play on cruise ship etc

I think since lighter basses become available people stir away from heavier one even if they sit at home everyday for practise. I always found the sound of heavier basses more rounder then my other 3kg bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what impressed me most about my last Overwater is that it was the most well behaved bass I have ever played. Everything did exactly what it should. It was dead quiet in all situations. The balance of notes was superb all the way through the range. It sat very well in every situation I used it in. The sound was almost post production solid, but in a really good way. It was a joy to play. I sold it cos I am a lightweight and could not deal with the 6th string, but that is not Overwater's fault. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Oh that's nice I wish I knew this before

However 8 see loads of people complain about the weight.

I never had a problem for basses weighing more then 5kg

I mean I played loads of gigs but most of gigs weren't more then 50 min so no a issue for me

so do you always playing standing or do you  4 5 hours straight? Why suddenly everyone has problem with weight? I 7ndwrstand few people play on cruise ship etc

I think since lighter basses become available people stir away from heavier one even if they sit at home everyday for practise. I always found the sound of heavier basses more rounder then my other 3kg bass

So I have just weighed my overwater 4 and it’s 3.79kg against my carbon status at 3.91 kg,

also just did the same with my 5string overwater at 3.98 kg against my status 5 string at 4.12 kg the five string status is wood with the carbon inserts in the neck

so in the greater scheme of thing not overly heavy 

cheers

stef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stef030 said:

So I have just weighed my overwater 4 and it’s 3.79kg against my carbon status at 3.91 kg, also just did the same with my 5string overwater at 3.98 kg against my status 5 string at 4.12 kg the five string status is wood with the carbon inserts in the neck

In my travels I have not seen a 5 string Overwater that light! Lucky chap!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Oh that's nice I wish I knew this before

However 8 see loads of people complain about the weight.

I never had a problem for basses weighing more then 5kg

I mean I played loads of gigs but most of gigs weren't more then 50 min so no a issue for me

so do you always playing standing or do you  4 5 hours straight? Why suddenly everyone has problem with weight? I 7ndwrstand few people play on cruise ship etc

I think since lighter basses become available people stir away from heavier one even if they sit at home everyday for practise. I always found the sound of heavier basses more rounder then my other 3kg bass

I have a problem with weight because I have a bunch of prolapsed discs in my back. If I put on a 5kg bass I would get nerve pain (feels like electric shocks) through my abdomen and my legs would go numb. Then I would have all sorts of other issues I won’t go into here for the next several weeks at the very least. I’m about an inch away from surgery as it stands. Not everybody has a healthy back. Especially bass players! 
Personally I’ve often also preferred the sound of lighter basses, which is lucky really!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 18:50, TheGreek said:

I have my green Overwater Jazz for sale at the moment - not because it isn't a great bass, if anything the opposite - it plays fantastic with a huge usable tonal package. The reason for sale is that I, like many others here, have too many basses most of which don't get used.

After selling it several years ago I suffered with Sellers Remorse, when the buyer, @claustra, put it back up for sale I snapped it up, but it has pretty much lived in it's case since. If you look at my for sale thread you'll see that he even reconsidered buying it back again.

When I put it up for sale again, the original owner/ commissioner of the bass got in contact committing to buy it back once they'd sold their current bass. Several weeks later they got in contact to say, despite really wanting the bass back, they were now in the market for a 5/6 string bass, and pulled out.

So nobody who has owned the Overwater has been disappointed by it - if I was using it regularly I'd definitely keep it - cos I'm not, I'm giving somebody else the opportunity to put it to good use.

It's as good as any of the many other "Super Jazzes" out there, it'll do everything you ask of it - super punchy, super build quality and plays like a dream.

I often question why they're not held it more esteem.

@TheGreek, this bass is fantastic indeed, and I've had a great time playing with it for a few years. It is far more than a J, does a lot of things and responds to your playing really well. You can feel the care that was involved in the making of the instrument.


If I hadn't had a second child in between and a luthier built P, and no more serious porject, and a few spare quids, I'd have had it back.



 

Edited by claustra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I have a problem with weight because I have a bunch of prolapsed discs in my back. If I put on a 5kg bass I would get nerve pain (feels like electric shocks) through my abdomen and my legs would go numb. Then I would have all sorts of other issues I won’t go into here for the next several weeks at the very least. I’m about an inch away from surgery as it stands. Not everybody has a healthy back. Especially bass players! 
Personally I’ve often also preferred the sound of lighter basses, which is lucky really!

My Sandberg VM4 is one of the lightest basses i've played with great versatility in tone too. They have an even lighter version out now. 

I know Overwater were doing hollow bodied basses too but they will make whatever you want from any woods and will advise on lighter woods and how they will affect the tone for you.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My Sandberg VM4 is one of the lightest basses i've played with great versatility in tone too. They have an even lighter version out now. 

I know Overwater were doing hollow bodied basses too but they will make whatever you want from any woods and will advise on lighter woods and how they will affect the tone for you.

Dave

Oh I know Dave, I said as much in an earlier post. I was just responding to that particular post about why people are so concerned about weight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Ian Waller and Pete the Fish at Wal insisted that the dense and heavier Mahogany core was a prerequisite for 'that sound'. I'm guessing Chris May is on the same page?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 7 string Overwater is quite WAL-ish in sound. The woods used are not dissimilar to WAL. Chris May builds a great bass, don't be out off by the pre-owned retail price, think of it as a damn bargain!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

I know that Ian Waller and Pete the Fish at Wal insisted that the dense and heavier Mahogany core was a prerequisite for 'that sound'. I'm guessing Chris May is on the same page?

 

Never really understood that as although Wals are often heavy, mahogany generally isn’t that heavy really IME. I’ve played many mahogany-only bodied basses that were pretty light. I think size and thickness of body are a big factor. 

I believe Chris favours heavier ash rather than lighter, although I’m sure he uses both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Never really understood that as although Wals are often heavy, mahogany generally isn’t that heavy really IME. I’ve played many mahogany-only bodied basses that were pretty light. I think size and thickness of body are a big factor. 

I believe Chris favours heavier ash rather than lighter, although I’m sure he uses both.

Maybe it's one of those urban myths?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2020 at 20:23, Skybone said:

Would love to have a shot on an Original

Fretless?

395A37C0-7CAD-45CB-B7F6-584587568B81.jpeg

CD3006B7-38F6-4795-9F69-3F1E69734378.jpeg

0E0E5C1E-AA3C-4A3B-8EC2-1EDA178D73FA.jpeg

6CB1F1F5-06A5-4AF9-8334-B1EEA2D90195.jpeg

363B5D68-CB6F-4711-B1E6-62A12D36BCA0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2020 at 20:29, TheGreek said:

https://www.thejoint.org.uk/

Is there any charge for this?? Times??

I popped in at about 12.30. Chris May had 8 basses on dis[play, very nice ones too. Phil Mulford and Phil Mann (with his signature basses) were there. I couldn't stay long and it started filling up as I was leaving, with Mo Foster, entourage and others arriving.

If I had a gig where I could sit down during the show I'd have bought an Overwater years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...