Why become a member? ×

That Chris Squire sound...

8 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Very interesting indeed, but a Ric sounds like a Ric, if you see what I mean. Thanks @4000

Thanks for the thanks, but I think the first comment comes across as somewhat dismissive. That’s like saying a Jazz sounds like a Jazz, or a P like a P. Of course they do, but they don’t all sound the same. Chris’s sound is actually pretty difficult to replicate, Ric or no. Chris, Geddy, Glover, Foxton etc might all have a trebly, distorted sound but they all sound completely different.

I figured this might give some insight to those who might be interested.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ezbass said:

I once saw Chris in a video playing a Lakland Bob Glaub, sounded just like his Ric. 

Yeah......he seemed to be able to get any bass he played to get that "classic" growly klank. Fantastic player........much missed.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

I once saw Chris in a video playing a Lakland Bob Glaub, sounded just like his Ric. 

I watched that DVD last night (Live in Montreux). IMO it sounds nothing like his Ric. 

And when he switches to the Ric on some songs, it kind-of hammers the point home

23 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I watched that DVD last night (Live in Montreux). IMO it sounds nothing like his Ric. 

And when he switches to the Ric on some songs, it kind-of hammers the point home

Not the footage I saw years ago, it was something on the Lakland website 'jukebox' long since removed. That Live in Montreux video tone is very smooth and un-Ric like; nice though (well it's Chris, of course it's nice).

32 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

At times on the busy end of the bass it sounds quite like his Ric but at the dusty end it goes very much rounded and warmer sounding compared to his Ric.

Problem is i believe he has a sound guy that at times switches his effects and amps in and out for him so you never know whether or not its a clean bass you are hearing thru a driven tube amp or its an effect that's been added.

Only way to know for sure is if Chris sat down with different basses and played the same parts without touching anything else.

Personally i think his Ric sound always has more of an edge than any other bass i've heard him play.

I even watched Geddy using his Jazz bass with Yes in 2017 and although its a good replication of Chris's tone it still has that warmer rounded tone that comes across every now and again.

Don't think there's a lot in it but its different if you want to have that absolutely perfect CS sound

Dave  

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Very interesting, Chris Squire is sounding like Chris Squire on a Precision with that typical mid growl that is not his Ric edgier and rounder sound at the same time. So what I wrote : a Ric sounds like a Ric. It's not pejorative, it's a simple fact and even Chris Squire can't get that Ric sound with another bass. That said it was some fresh air to listen to this, thanks @wateroftyne

And thanks again @4000 because the video about how to get that Chris Squire Ric sound made me want to buy one again, just for the fun of this Ric sound that is unique and also because I'm a massive Lemmy fan...

That said my favourite Yes album is Drama. Yep, you can throw the rocks, I assume it totally.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

That said my favourite Yes album is Drama. Yep, you can throw the rocks, I assume it totally.

Its one of my fav Yes albums too and the only time i ever saw them live was with Trevor Horn. I enjoyed it.

I'm not a Yes fanatic tho. My top Yes album is Going For the One. Love the songs and the production on it is excellent.(IMHO of course)

Dave

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I even watched Geddy using his Jazz bass with Yes in 2017 and although its a good replication of Chris's tone it still has that warmer rounded tone that comes across every now and again.

You are in good company, Sir, as that's pretty much what Geddy has said in the past and why he uses Jazzes these days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Very interesting, Chris Squire is sounding like Chris Squire on a Precision with that typical mid growl that is not his Ric edgier and rounder sound at the same time. So what I wrote : a Ric sounds like a Ric. It's not pejorative, it's a simple fact and even Chris Squire can't get that Ric sound with another bass. That said it was some fresh air to listen to this, thanks @wateroftyne

And thanks again @4000 because the video about how to get that Chris Squire Ric sound made me want to buy one again, just for the fun of this Ric sound that is unique and also because I'm a massive Lemmy fan...

The Ric (particularly his Ric) is definitely a huge part of his tone, although he’s pretty obviously Chris on everything he plays. But I do think his tone goes beyond what you normally hear from a Ric, which the video shows quite clearly. There’s a combination of clarity and growl that few other people really nail. I think if you’re playing in mono it’s very difficult to get each pickup working the way they do in stereo. For instance the neck pickup sound in the vid is pretty similar to mine, but I can’t get my treble pickup anything like that bright at the same time with the same eq. I guess it’s also that the pickups don’t interact in the same way either.

Weirdly in all my years of owning (many) Rics I’ve never bothered with stereo, simply because it’s more hassle in terms of gear, but I may have a dabble on the next cd after watching this (would have done with the one we’re recording now but the bass parts are already done). May have a dabble on the home recording setup too. Wish I had all the gear in the vid!

BTW, massive Lem fan here too. Particularly love his early tone. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1