Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

On 06/03/2024 at 20:55, dmccombe7 said:

Great song. What key are you doing it in. /

If i remember right it was Eb tuning and played on the E.

I played that in one of my very first bands just after taking lessons back in late 70's possibly 78.

Happy days

Dave

I’m almost certain that all the Lizzy songs have the instruments tuned down a half step to Eb.

• Like 1

Hadn't thought about it until reading this thread made me think about it....

On top of the usual rehearsal schedule to keep 'em fresh - (Pop Orchestra - around 35 tunes, function band - around 120 tunes, 3 originals bands - around 50 tunes total) at the mo it's:

27 Eagles songs for a potential seat in a touring tribute - TBC

25 Kylie tunes for a dep seat in a touring tribute

Writing 10 basslines for a Singer/Songwriter project about to go on the road

Had to learn Stratus, Behind The Veil & Savannah Woman for an impromptu party gig last week with about 48hrs notice.

Always in the shed 🙂

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Hadn't thought about it until reading this thread made me think about it....

On top of the usual rehearsal schedule to keep 'em fresh - (Pop Orchestra - around 35 tunes, function band - around 120 tunes, 3 originals bands - around 50 tunes total) at the mo it's:

27 Eagles songs for a potential seat in a touring tribute - TBC

25 Kylie tunes for a dep seat in a touring tribute

Writing 10 basslines for a Singer/Songwriter project about to go on the road

Had to learn Stratus, Behind The Veil & Savannah Woman for an impromptu party gig last week with about 48hrs notice.

Always in the shed 🙂

Wow plenty to keep you busy there 

On 10/03/2024 at 10:01, Phil Starr said:

Hot Stuff; Donna Summer

What was I thinking? five minutes of almost unbroken octaves, my pinky hurts! :(

We've joined Car Wash and Filthy Gorgeous together for an octavefest

We're learning Die, Die, My Darling; I was quite excited by the Misfits' bass line and was looking forward to learning it.  Then I get told "No, we're doing the Metallica version".  A quick Google later and the only tabs for their version are dead simple roots, fifths etc.  Am hoping I can kung fu the original version in there instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

@Steve_M that's an impressive workload. Are you full time at this not that it matters its still quite an achievement. Well done sir.

Dave

Not full time - I do have a day job but, as a freelancer in Broadcasting, I get a fair bit of downtime. It does seem like a lot when it's written down like this but it's what I do to relax and as yet I've not felt overwhelmed (👈 kiss of death right there)!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Buddster said:

We've joined Car Wash and Filthy Gorgeous together for an octavefest

Are you mad? Or was this suggested by the singer? 😁

Great songs though, your audiences will love you. I've always fancied doing Filthy Gorgeous, proper party song .

10 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Not full time - I do have a day job but, as a freelancer in Broadcasting, I get a fair bit of downtime. It does seem like a lot when it's written down like this but it's what I do to relax and as yet I've not felt overwhelmed (👈 kiss of death right there)!

Still impressive tho.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

Are you mad? Or was this suggested by the singer? 😁

Great songs though, your audiences will love you. I've always fancied doing Filthy Gorgeous, proper party song .

Well the singer wanted to do Filthy Gorgeous, and I said I'd only do it we do Car Wash (which I knew anyway), so partly my own madness. Proper finger work out, but not difficult 

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 21:40, Jackroadkill said:

We're learning Die, Die, My Darling; I was quite excited by the Misfits' bass line and was looking forward to learning it.  Then I get told "No, we're doing the Metallica version".  A quick Google later and the only tabs for their version are dead simple roots, fifths etc.  Am hoping I can kung fu the original version in there instead.

The Misfits version is WAY better as well. 

Tbh, a lot of theirs are decent bass lines..Halloween is a good one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m usually learning some new stuff, either for Jam Night or for the online lessons I take - they also run a monthly competition.  Our guitarist isn’t available for this month’s Jam Night so I decided we’d do ones we already knew that are easy for a dep guitarist to pick up.  So it’s just the on line lessons this month.  “Minnie the Moocher” by Cab Calloway is the one I’m learning - the version from “The Blues Brothers”.  It’s a cool slow blues.  I even watched the film for the 1st time 😎.

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. Easy enough playing but structure-wise am gonna struggle with the band the first few times round I think, as we don’t have a singer. Love the groove to the song though. 

• Like 1