Why become a member? ×

New for 2009: Genz Benz Shuttle Max 12.0 , Max 6.0 and more...

cetera

Seems there's a lot of new product at Genz Benz!

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=whatsnew"]Genz Benz New Product[/url]

Of particular interest:

Genz Benz Shuttle Max 12.0 Head

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2393&sid=610&cid=95"]Shuttle Max 12.0[/url]

Also, there's a Shuttle Max 6.0:

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2392&sid=610&cid=95"]Shuttle Max 6.0[/url]

Mmmmmm.... liking that Shuttle Max 12.0! :P ;)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='382489' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:14 PM']There's also new Markbass 800W Little Marks, with or without tube preamp! Check the many NAMM threads over at Talkbass...[/quote]

I did so not need to read that.

Ive only just cleared one of my bigger credit cards and was feeling good about it, now im looking at more debt :-(

[quote name='Toasted' post='382542' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:49 PM']I've really never understood the penchant for "stereo" poweramps.[/quote]

With the 12.0 it's simply a result of the module they use - the 6.0 uses two modules bridged, so the 12.0 can't then bridge the two pairs of modules it has. If the 6.0 used a single module then it would drive down to a 2 ohm load and the 12.0 could then bridge a pair of them for full power into 4 ohms.

At the rate the micro-amp market is growing every man and his dog will making their own model, most of which using the same power modules!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='382639' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:08 PM']At the rate the micro-amp market is growing every man and his dog will making their own model, most of which using the same power modules![/quote]

Should we be expecting an announcement from barefacedBass any time soon, Alex? ;)

[quote name='acidbass' post='382691' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:49 PM']Should we be expecting an announcement from barefacedBass any time soon, Alex? ;)[/quote]

Nope! Too much good stuff already out there - to be better and still good value would require serious investment and some very cunning plans. The speakers only require the latter and I have way more expertise with them and electromechanical and mechanical systems are much more intuitive for me - I'm a mechanical engineer at heart and by training, not an electrical sort. But someday far in the future, then probably.

Alex

• 2 months later...

Just took delivery of the shuttle max 12.0 yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. First impressions are that it's incredibly light, all the switchgear feels solid and even though there's so many knobs etc on it, it's quite a clean and uncluttered. I would have tested it last night but i went into a shop yesterday to buy a couple of speakon cables and the 2 assistants were like 'what are speakon cables?' so I'll have to track some down today. Cheers, John

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='463930' date='Apr 16 2009, 01:53 PM']Open letter to many current amp designers:

Please make them look nicer.

That is all.

Signed,

Grumpy,
Geordie Delta[/quote]
You can't really fault Genz Benz for the look of the amp due to how much they've crammed into such a small form factor.

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='463928' date='Apr 16 2009, 01:46 PM']Just took delivery of the shuttle max 12.0 yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. First impressions are that it's incredibly light, all the switchgear feels solid and even though there's so many knobs etc on it, it's quite a clean and uncluttered. I would have tested it last night but i went into a shop yesterday to buy a couple of speakon cables and the 2 assistants were like 'what are speakon cables?' so I'll have to track some down today. Cheers, John[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing your review of this amp in action! :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='cetera' post='467382' date='Apr 20 2009, 11:41 AM']Looking forward to hearing your review of this amp in action! :)[/quote]

I've only been using this amp properly in the last few weeks and i must say i'm very impressed with it. I bought it sight unseen from the states without ever hearing Genz Benz stuff before (I don't think we even have a dealer over here).

I bought it to replace my ancient Peavey Mark VIII and my EBS Fafner and it does the job very well. So far i've only tested through my 8ohm Avatar 4x10 but the volume I can get is impressive. The solid state channel is very clean and quite warm and you can get a bit of edge if you use the hi-gain switch. The tube channel sounds nice and warm with low gain and with the right EQ on the hi-gain setting you can get some pretty beefy distortion. It's very handy that you can control the volume of the channels individually so you can go from super clean to all out grind with a tap of the footswitch.

All in all great head so far but I haven't gigged with it yet so time will tell. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers, John.

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='551810' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:02 PM']I've only been using this amp properly in the last few weeks and i must say i'm very impressed with it. I bought it sight unseen from the states without ever hearing Genz Benz stuff before (I don't think we even have a dealer over here).

I bought it to replace my ancient Peavey Mark VIII and my EBS Fafner and it does the job very well. So far i've only tested through my 8ohm Avatar 4x10 but the volume I can get is impressive. The solid state channel is very clean and quite warm and you can get a bit of edge if you use the hi-gain switch. The tube channel sounds nice and warm with low gain and with the right EQ on the hi-gain setting you can get some pretty beefy distortion. It's very handy that you can control the volume of the channels individually so you can go from super clean to all out grind with a tap of the footswitch.

All in all great head so far but I haven't gigged with it yet so time will tell. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers, John.[/quote]

Does it not get confusing with so many knobs? I really like small amps (i own an f1) but that looks like a rather busy front panel.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='552315' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:45 AM']Does it not get confusing with so many knobs? I really like small amps (i own an f1) but that looks like a rather busy front panel.[/quote]

I agree that the front panel is busy looking but since the majority of the controls are just two identical sets of EQ (one set for each channel), once you get the hang of the EQ it's not at all daunting. The supplied footswitch makes things easier too because you know what channel you're on and whether or not you have some pre-shape EQ on via the very bright blue LEDs on the footswitch.

Cheers, John.