Why become a member? ×

Expensive Precision

Beedster

High price, SN on neck plate, and a whole host of other things. Is this guy just trying to offload a copy or bitsa or am I missing something?
Chris

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-MADE-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ320332643904QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item320332643904&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USA-MADE-FENDER-PREC...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Chris

Agree about provenance of this item. Those machineheads are cheap Chinese jobs, deffo not Fender. theres also something about the typeface of the PRECISION BASS logo that doesnt sit right with me.

I think he is either having a bit of a giggle or he really thinks it is a vintage US P.

Neil

+1 for Machine heads wrong, headstock logo wrong.

The seller is also breaching eBay policy (and being cheeky) by saying "ONCE PAYMENT IS SENT BUYER MUST LEAVE + FEEDBACK" at the end - feedback should only be left upon successful completion of transaction.

Sadly I think this is the point eBay will be most bothered with.

Reported anyway, for both reasons.

[quote name='gareth' post='382087' date='Jan 16 2009, 09:58 AM']And this was his reply:-

no sorry cant give that info out i was advised not to do that sorry, but rest assure the serial no is genuine,i bought the bassabout 12 yrs ago in usa second hand so i really couldnt put an exact year on it mate,,hope this helps you.thanks[/quote]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='382260' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:24 PM']Its the offset body logo that you only get on Jazz basses

It is a nice looking bass but not genuine - its definitely a Fecker Imprecision[/quote]

Hmph, I will not have my poor Fecker Imprecision's name used to describe any bitsa fake bass! ;)

[quote name='gareth' post='382087' date='Jan 16 2009, 09:58 AM']I asked the seller this question:-

lovely bass mate

can you tell me what the serial number is please and also the year it was made

good luck

And this was his reply:-

no sorry cant give that info out i was advised not to do that sorry, but rest assure the serial no is genuine,i bought the bassabout 12 yrs ago in usa second hand so i really couldnt put an exact year on it mate,,hope this helps you.thanks[/quote]

I said:

I don't think that's a Fender neck, looks more like my Mighty Mite. Do you know when it was made? You can find the date from the serial number.

And he said:

ill check with serial no see if i get more info for you,i bought it 12 yr ago in usa second hand and its for sure made in usa,hope this helps you.thanks

I emailed him to give him a 'heads-up' that the headstock/tuners/neck/logo were wrong and he was opening himself up to potential problems if it was sold as a genuine 100% USA Fender. I got a message back;

"hey im selling what i know,i bought this my self in usa and thats what im going by,i appreciate your concern but it is genuine,ive had it checked at music shop when i left it in for cracklin volume knob,the told me the value of it and i was gobsmacked,so ill take my chances.ta"

If he was gobsmacked then it was valued a lot higher than he expected/paid for it... that should give him a clue. If he has been suckered into believing some guy in a shop I'd love to know which music shop as they are obviously f*ckwits!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='382697' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:57 PM']I emailed him to give him a 'heads-up' that the headstock/tuners/neck/logo were wrong and he was opening himself up to potential problems if it was sold as a genuine 100% USA Fender. I got a message back;

"hey im selling what i know,i bought this my self in usa and thats what im going by,i appreciate your concern but it is genuine,ive had it checked at music shop when i left it in for cracklin volume knob,the told me the value of it and i was gobsmacked,so ill take my chances.ta"

If he was gobsmacked then it was valued a lot higher than he expected/paid for it... that should give him a clue. If he has been suckered into believing some guy in a shop I'd love to know which music shop as they are obviously f*ckwits![/quote]

Next he'll be saying the ashtrays on it aren't the set he got off Ebay a week ago.

Even if he wasn't a lying pikey tard - which he is - why do people always assume that the gimps behind the counter in music shops are The World's Foremost Authorities on rare & collectable instruments?

Jon.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='383192' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:03 PM']I think he's tring to copy [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-USA-Custom-Shop-61-NOS-Precision-Bass-RARE_W0QQitemZ130278481452QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]this beauty[/url].[/quote]

That is a beaut, but perhaps dumb question here?

Why can I see the edges of the Fender logo decal? I thought even custom shop jobs would have relaquered etc to get it blended in?

I'm not an expert by any means, just interested.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='383200' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:12 PM']That is a beaut, but perhaps dumb question here?

Why can I see the edges of the Fender logo decal? I thought even custom shop jobs would have relaquered etc to get it blended in?

I'm not an expert by any means, just interested.[/quote]
good call, that doesnt look very nice at all. Weird.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='383200' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:12 PM']That is a beaut, but perhaps dumb question here?

I'm not an expert by any means, just interested.[/quote]

It's on top of the lacquer, which is correct for the era.