Why become a member? ×

Magazine transcriptions

JJTee

I have the full collection of the defunct Bassist Magazine and was thinking of scanning all the transcriptions into one pdf document - there must be over hundred transcriptions, with a wide range of artists, so it will make a cool collection.

Once I've done this, is there anything (in terms of copyright/legal stuff) to stop me e-mailing the collection to anyone that wants a copy of the file?

Julian

Ha ha...I'll see what I can do. I was just gonna e-mail them out for free - there's no intention from profiting from it or anything. I'd love to know the offical legal position though - any lawyers out there?

I remember that towards the end of Bassist magazines run there were a lot more transcriptions that were done 'In the style of...', which were a sort of pastiche of a song. So I guess they had their own copyright/permission issues themselves.

I would love a copy... so I thoroughly encourage you to undertake the task.
Edit: and as possession of pirate material is an offence too, then we'd all be in it together. ;)

But it is completely illegal - aside from the legalities of transcriptions etc. that everyone faces, you'd be duplicating and distributing parts of a copyright protected publication.

You could end up in hot water - but chances are even if someone were to care then you'd just be told to stop distributing it and have your wrist slapped very hard. I'm not a lawyer either btw, so don't ask me to defend you in court. :P

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='378262' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:09 PM']I would love a copy... so I thoroughly encourage you to undertake the task.[/quote]

Me too, but I think you'd probably be OK. Have a look at this: [url="http://www.bemuso.com/musicbiz/musiccopyright.html#canchordsandbeatsbecopyright"]http://www.bemuso.com/musicbiz/musiccopyri...eatsbecopyright[/url]

[quote name='dlloyd' post='378190' date='Jan 12 2009, 08:04 PM']I would imagine it would be entirely illegal on several levels.[/quote]

'Course it would be, it's sharing, no greater crime in her majesties land.

If I could get a copy of those though, it would be greatly appreciated ;):)

If I remember rightly from university, you can copy a chapter or article without any worries [i]so long as it's just for you[/i].

My uni had to stop leaving reference copies of articles in the library for students to read.

Having said that, they been doing it for years before anyone cottoned on.

Edited by Musky

I'm also not a legal bod but I think you're ok provided it's for educational purposes and, as you've already rightly stated, you're not selling them for profit.
It's quite a task you've set yourself but one that I'm sure all BCers will appreciate - and find most educational... ;)

[quote name='JJTee' post='378151' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:40 PM']Once I've done this, is there anything (in terms of copyright/legal stuff) to stop me e-mailing the collection to anyone that wants a copy of the file?[/quote]
Well, if you emailed them to me, I could do some research to find out whether it was legal or not. I'd obviously have to study the material though.

[quote name='tauzero' post='379177' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:32 PM']Well, if you emailed them to me, I could do some research to find out whether it was legal or not. I'd obviously have to study the material though.[/quote]
Hahahaha.

Well as I am technically a part-time student, then emailing it to me might go some way to test the academic use theory.

right... I think you are allowed to make copys of material you own(dvds,music etc) so you could keep the original in top cond. now I know you are not legally allowed to sell said copys..but um...giving away...im not sure.

your not passing it on as your own and you say they are not producing the mag anymore?your not making any profit, if anything..your doing it at cost to yourself(min wage per hour, time scanning, electric bill etc) um.....at the end of all that..I have no idea but please send a copy to [email protected] ;-) for um..legal research of course:-)