Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs Don’t Work

Billy Apple

2 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I've been quite tempted by the custom moulded ones but I'm very prone to losing things, and I'm very used to the earplugs I use, so it seems more trouble than it's worth

There you are m8, and they wont fall in either 🤣

20190806_153027.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I think he's the most evil person we can think of in the bass-playing world. To have him questioning the validity of our ACS's, well .... it's enough to make you spit!

Hey, if John Hall can give me a good reason why my ACS's literally don't work, I'm all ears (sic).

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

No. Keep the John Hall.

Fretmeister's peeing his pants at the thought of Hall suing the forum, whether through abject terror or the expectation of a massive payday it remains to be seen.

Neither.

I am not clutching at pearls I am genuinely concerned that the original thread title (and first post) would be taken as gospel. This forum does have old and experienced members and also has young and inexperienced ones.

I can assure you I argue the same way with everybody, friends, family, everybody.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2019 at 20:41, Billy Apple said:

No. A consultant in a well known London hospital. Who is working with the construction industry to help with long term hearing loss of construction workers. Also works with classical orchestra musicians.

You see a lot of conductors wearing them nowadays not to mention anyone sitting in front of the brass section.  A full orchestra in full tilt can getty pretty loud.

I have had the in-ear molded items for a while now and they have been transformational for me.  I left them at home in error for practice the other week and the difference was massive so I'm inclined to agree to disagree with your consultant.

I know the bones pick up vibrations as you can get those headphones for running in town so you can also hear the traffic but there is no comparison in the sound quality/volume cmpared to proper ear buds.  I'm inclined to think that the layer of skin and fat covering the bones acts as an attenuator; somehting your ear drum doesn't enjoy.

12 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I think he's the most evil person we can think of in the bass-playing world.

I realise that now might not be the best time to be at variance with you but I would respectfully submit that you may have forgotten Mr Michael Manring, he whose oeuvre consists in the main of pingy-pongy harmonics and whose magnum opus is his Variations On A Theme Of Extreme Mundanity.

Scientific studies have proven that Mr Manring is a gateway drug to Class A 'wood shedding' and no effort should be spared in keeping his name in front of a justifiably alarmed public.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I just want all the information.

220px-PrisonerNumberSIx.jpg

Number Six: Whose side are you on?

Number Two: That would be telling. We want information… information… information.

Number Six: You won't get it.

Number Two: By hook or by crook, we will.

Number Six: Who are you?

Number Two: The new Number Two.

Number Six: Who is Number One?

Number Two: You are Number Six.

Number Six: I am not a number! I am a free man!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Four years later and my ears are as firmly affixed as the day I glued them on.

And I hope it's been a lesson to you. Next time someone says "the walls have ears", perhaps you won't try to prove them literally correct by hacking yours off and sticking them in your ice cream.

Edited by Rich
  • Haha 2

As a parallel, my previous optemitrist optemertrist eye-doctor (a lovely female lady doctor from Dresden), once told me 'its nice to sometimes just sit back, breathe, relax, and close your eyes for a while...'

I tried this technique whilst driving home from my appointment. And I have to say it was quite disastrous.

• Haha 7