Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs Don’t Work

Billy Apple

Ear infections you say? - Which is why you clean earplugs/IEMs with alcohol wipes to kill the nasties - or even give them a UV bath (check out something like the ACS Revivo. But it's no different to hearing-aids. They need to be appropriately maintained also - and hence why they have UV cleaners and vacs available... like IEMs.)

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

richard-ashcroft.jpg

'The plugs don't work, they just make you worse...'

But I know you'll see your face again... unless the ear infection spreads through your sinuses, into your eyes... causing permanent blindness.

Edited by EBS_freak

16 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Are you still standing by your click bait thread title?

What do you suggest I change it too? I was thinking of something snappy like "Despite professionals finding to the contrary, Basschatters refuse to listen to opinions outside of their narrow agenda shock!"

4 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

What, to avoid loud noise and take care when listening to music? I don't think so!

Ha good one.

No, I was more referring to things like -

• consider wearing earplugs – you can buy re-usable musicians' earplugs that reduce the volume of music but don't muffle it

and

Make sure you wear any hearing protection you're given.

I wouldn't have thought I would have had to spell it out... but there does seem to be a lack of common sense in this thread... so hey.

Edited by EBS_freak

1 minute ago, Billy Apple said:

What do you suggest I change it too? I was thinking of something snappy like "Despite professionals finding to the contrary, Basschatters refuse to listen to opinions outside of their narrow agenda shock!"

How about - Earplugs Don't Work in situations where the level of attenutation is not enough to reduce the sound pressure levels acting upon your inner ear (through bone conduction and the earplug itself) to a safer level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Nice and click-baity again. You should write for the Sun.

How about:

"One professional out of hundreds has suggested that ear plugs are not as protective as we might think as other factors might be involved. I have only heard this in passing from 1 audiologist so I don't know if it is a widely accepted view or whether this doctor is the only person with this view.

However for clarity I should point out that I was in a consultation with an audiologist for a medical issue so there is a distinct possibility that I didn't hear him correctly."

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fretmeister said:

Nice and click-baity again. You should write for the Sun.

How about:

"One professional out of hundreds has suggested that ear plugs are not as protective as we might think as other factors might be involved. I have only heard this in passing from 1 audiologist so I don't know if it is a widely accepted view or whether this doctor is only this person with this view.

However for clarity I should point out that I was in a consultation with an audiologist for a medical issue so there is a distinct possibility that I didn't hear him correctly."

I like it. Snappy.

1 minute ago, Billy Apple said:

Well, the Doctor I was talking to was not saying do not protect your hearing. Quite the opposite.

This again contradicts your posts. You literally said earplugs don't work. Without any caveat. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the "Billy Apple" account login information is known to several people who don't agree on anything.

2 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Well, the Doctor I was talking to was not saying do not protect your hearing. Quite the opposite.

"His recommendation is ear defenders as they cover the bone too." - you do know that the whole body is a conductor? Or should I say, your doctor? Tap the top of your head and tell me you can't hear anything.

Tinitus - despite being strong correlations to musicians playing in loud environments, factory workers in loud environments... lets just say it's just as likely to be neurological or blood pressure. Man, there's some bizarre thinking. Whilst it's true that nobody understands the full manifestations of tinitus, only a fool would look at the statistics and just go meh, just a bit of blood pressure.

I reckon you should get a new ear quack.

1 hour ago, Billy Apple said:

Careful: Ear plugs will only protect up to 100db ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mcnach said:

Amazing price!!! I paid about £110-120 for mine!

Yep,  i paid about £130 for mine. Unfortunately i lost mine and had to buy some new ones. Typically, within weeks of getting the new ones, i found my original pair. Expensive yep but i got some additional 20db filters for the new ones and use them when attending gigs or at loud events. They are great and you do realise how much they work if you pop one out for a sort while.  

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

That's exactly what he said. You are still at risk from hearing damage.

No, my title and OP is accurate from the information given to me by someone qualified on the subject. But, hey-ho the non-qualified Basschat experts know better.

Or are you a Doctor (or anyone here?)

I am, as it happens. And I have to say that this sounds like tabloid-level nonsense in that a half-truth is being discussed out of context in order to suggest an attention-grabbing non-truth.

I have no doubt that prolonged extreme sound levels can defeat the protection provided by ear plugs - whether by overcoming the protection they afford or by transmission through the bone but I also have no doubt that most musicians would rarely, if ever,  find themselves  in that sort of situation. If you need ear defenders, you need to turn down would be my rule of thumb.

I'd be interested to know if this chap was a medical doctor with an interest in audiology or an audiologist (with a PhD). And also, as I said before, what commercial interests might be influencing the advice he is giving (or the apparently sensationalist way he is delivering it).

• Like 5