Why become a member? ×

“You’re not versatile!”. Joe Dart content.

PawelG

4 hours ago, spencer.b said:

I like it, bit different isn't it

Are the strings cobalt flats?

Yeah Cobalt Flatwounds (or Slinky Flatwounds as they're packaged).

Whats wrong with white pick up covers then? It's been a Musicman feature for decades on some models!

image.thumb.jpeg.3feb0da807598e9c016f3ba5a493b047.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Can't help thinking that he would sound pretty much the same whatever bass he was playing

This.

I have no idea what bass JD is using and I don't care. The bass lines and how he plays is the important thing here. I don't sound like him, or want to, but I'd really like to "busy up" a little and groove like he does.

• Like 1

Horses for courses I suppose but, I don't get it at all. I only found out about this guy today. Great player but after doing some research, his Jazz bass definitely sounded better, in my opinion.

He needs overdrive, steel round wounds, tone controls and a low B 😂 😆

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Does anyone else think it’s a bit odd that this bass doesn’t feature on the Music Man web site?

Vulfpeck's business model is based primarily on selling direct to their fans, I remember watching an interview on youtube a while back where the signature bass came up for discussion and the Vulfpeck guys were voicing their disappointment that Musicman didn't really cater to their (direct to fan)business model, so I would guess that they either contracted Musicman to make the instruments for them or negotiated with Musicman to be the exclusive sales outlet for this model. If Musicman are not selling this through their regular channels, then featuring it on their website could be viewed from a business perspective as counter productive and confusing for the end consumer (as well as wasting admin costs fielding enquiries).

2 hours ago, Davo-London said:

Do we need another signature bass?

Davo

Have a heart - this is the first ever Musicman signature bass...... 

Im sure Joe Dart's fans think there should be one. The main thing is the first lot sold in an hour or two. 

I'm guessing the demographic of this forum (and Talkbass) is miles off beam with the demographic of the fans of Vulfpeck - however some of us here think they're great -  they're actually a great live act. I've never heard any crowd sing along to the bass line of a predominantly Bass orientated track before them (even Jaco or Mark King)!! 👍😏

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I was laughing as I watched this the other day, as that buffoon rants about versatility before proceeding to show us several shades of mud. 

Sorry, I'm no lover of this signature Bass but if you think that sounded like mud you need either a new sound system or a different aural focus.

I think they were joking that many bassists moan about instrument versatility when it is generally them that lack the versatility!! I've found this often to be true as well. In fact the better the bass and its sound quality, the more technique limitations are magnified. A bit like a racing car in the hands of an average car driver. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2019 at 11:06, Stub Mandrel said:

Agreed that one is pretty tasteless, but white pickups can look good, and not just on Strats...

1412612676_whitepickups.thumb.JPG.af5ba87b7b27b043c5c005443e95f1c9.JPG

Ohhhhh a Performer. I have major longings for one of these.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2019 at 11:32, Beedster said:

Can't help thinking that he would sound pretty much the same whatever bass he was playing

What he's playing would sound the same, but the sound wouldn't be. That sound is pure MM and no mistake. When he plays a P bass, it sounds 100% like a P bass. Same as anyone else. That's why we have different basses!