Why become a member? ×

Exoctica? pah! gimme a p bass

BaggyMan

You're all smoking crack; there's nothing that could hold a candle to the Tony Goggle signature model, based on Tony's original Gaylord that he used extensively both live, in the studio and also live.

Automatic gearbox, including two reverse modes plus with the "bassface" mod there's nothing that could touch this

Anything else is just firewood AFAIC

Edited by Delberthot
crack cocaine
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Today I have learned many things.  The good folk of said bass chat are satisfyingly deranged, opinionated and probably nice people to drink beer and break stuff with

I also have a fairly well fleshed out business plan (apart from funding, premises, design, talent..) to establish a guitar company who first product willl be the aforementioned mythical beast that is the shitenbacker banana boat gaylord.  We should have a competition, and design it by committee, what could go wrong eh?

Oh yeah and something to do with p basses and that. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

With the current fashion for playing above the 12th fret all (or most) of the time - all bases now sound the same.

How VERY dare you! >:(

I'll have you know NONE of my basses have more than the first 12 frets. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

Yes I do, but be aware, I'm just the next fashion waiting to happen :D

So you're a leader not a follower...

Dammit, why didn't I think of that. 🤖

Anyway, the P bass classic design is great, because it's just so "not high maintenance"... there's no sharp edges to dig in you. Two knobs that are quite difficult to get wrong. One place to put your thumb - which is right in the middle, so it's not too deep and not too boney... it's just perfectly quite nice. And you can personalize it with stickers. 👍

And, obviously, the whole 5 / 6 / 7 string 'flash in the pan' thing is firmly over now - Thank Gawd.

Edited by Ricky 4000

6 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

So you're a leader not a follower...

Dammit, why didn't I think of that. 🤖

Anyway, the P bass classic design is great, because it's just so "not high maintenance"... there's no sharp edges to dig in you. Two knobs that are quite difficult to get wrong. One place to put your thumb - which is right in the middle, so it's not too deep and not too boney... it's just perfectly quite nice. And you can personalize it with stickers. 👍

And, obviously, the whole 5 / 6 / 7 string 'flash in the pan' thing is firmly over now - Thank Gawd.

It's like the VW Golf of the bass world - rugged, reliable, moderately pretty, often copied & available in loads of different versions.

The jazz is more like a Jaguar XJS - more sporty, not as ubiquitous & prettier.

Yamaha basses are the Mazda MX5 of the bass family - absolutely fabulous, good value for money & on the receiving end of snobbery because they're not European / American.

Dingwall / Fodera & others are like supercars - expensive, odd-looking, wholly impractical & temperamental.

Rickenbackers are like...?

Anyone? ;)

• Like 1

On 26 February 2019 at 19:47, Delberthot said:

I don't follow trends in any area of my life. I buy what is the best fit for me whether it be a roll of tape, a new car, caviar, 4 star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

If the perfect bass for me was called the Shitenbacker Bananaboat Gaylord III then I would still play it as long as it played well and looked good ( I may cover the name up though ) 

I'm not about to play something because someone says it's cool and trendy

This is a wonderful post with insight. I once had a Gaylord V11 - the one without a headstock - now that was a sexy bass!!

Im certain that if I was required to play on modern pop music where the bass is inaudible and the drums are mixed like a marching band I'd think about using a Precision because as we know 'all pro bassists use a Precision' and I'd also remember that no bassist worth their salt 'takes their hands off the fretboard'. 

I'd also remember that 'the Precision Bass has been the voice of pop music since the 60s' - but only if you ignore the fact that much of the U.K. scene (and British Invasion) was using Epiphone Rivoli and the like in the 60s.

Ive never really got it - apart from loving the P playing people like Jamerson and his 70s soul and funk followers, and Kaye and Dunn - but that was surely more about their playing and the vagaries of all electric instruments of the period. I preferred their more audible early 80s influenced players like Pino. 

Ive never got on with them since finding the neck unmanageable in about 1969 and hearing lots of examples of them disappearing in live mixes or being less than clear. Also I heard that some of my favourite passive bass parts of the late 70s were in fact pumped up in the studio by Alembic preamps.

So I've preferred to choose a bass with more definition than a Precision and I don't want to carry around an Alembic preamp (although I did think about it at one time - and a Sadowski one). 

So rather like the headless Gaylord V11 I think this inaudible Bass fad must use a Precision engineer can't deal with anything else is a flavour of the month and people will come to their senses again 👍😂😀

Theyve never had this problem in dance music btw and drummers are often machines, which can be a great bonus in some cases!!! 😉

However I still love Precision basses - just think that yesteryear's upright player's snooty looking down on P bass players as playing instruments that are all chrome and no tone, today the similar is true for P players being snooty. 

Just love the bass you like be it a P or whatever - now I must get hold of one of those Gaylord V11s again 😬

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Delberthot said:

You're all smoking crack; there's nothing that could hold a candle to the Tony Goggle signature model, based on Tony's original Gaylord that he used extensively both live, in the studio and also live.

I saw Mr Goggle with his sig model on the Slack Mattress re-union tour a few years back when they played Devizes Corn Exchange. The Gaylord sounded absolutely thunderous through Tony's vintage Acoustic rig - heft for days and bags of growl. When he hit the E 12th fret harmonic at the end of Hollywood Hooker a crack appeared in the floor of the venue that went right out the front door, across the square and up the front of WH Smiths.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Teebs said:

It's like the VW Golf of the bass world - rugged, reliable, moderately pretty, often copied & available in loads of different versions.

The jazz is more like a Jaguar XJS - more sporty, not as ubiquitous & prettier.

Yamaha basses are the Mazda MX5 of the bass family - absolutely fabulous, good value for money & on the receiving end of snobbery because they're not European / American.

Dingwall / Fodera & others are like supercars - expensive, odd-looking, wholly impractical & temperamental.

Rickenbackers are like...?

Anyone? ;)

'57 Chevy. Which is fine by me. ;)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

With the current fashion for playing above the 12th fret all (or most) of the time - all basses now sound exactly the same.

Which finally plays directly into my hands: I humbly submit as Exhibit A my Shukerbird, The Bass With The Worst Upper Fret Access In Christendom. It should sound really, really different*

IMG_4277.JPG.f86fcac516156b769df2e27b238dbf78.JPG

* It doesn't - it's got two split-coil pickups, and it sounds like a P-bass. Sue me. 😀

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Muzz said:

True, it all went off the rails once his lad Mickey Shitenbacker II got involved...remember the digital display with combined tuner, anemometer and temperature gauge? The one that used to pick up Radio Three?

I thought John Hall'n'Oates was CEO of Shitenbacker

15 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Which finally plays directly into my hands: I humbly submit as Exhibit A my Shukerbird, The Bass With The Worst Upper Fret Access In Christendom. It should sound really, really different*

IMG_4277.JPG.f86fcac516156b769df2e27b238dbf78.JPG

* It doesn't - it's got two split-coil pickups, and it sounds like a P-bass. Sue me. 😀

Crikey, that'd be most of my lines out the window!

Nice though. ;)