Why become a member? ×

Bands that wont learn covers properly.

Guest subaudio

6 hours ago, ubit said:

In our band, the guitarist, who is my mate, thought he was the band leader and tried to be in charge of everything. Resorting a lot to passive aggression to get his way. I’ve known him all my life, so I would flat out argue with him if I disagreed and sometimes just because I was sick of him being so bossy. The drummer and rhythm guitarist used to call us Mummy and Daddy. One of my biggest annoyances was when we all agreed to do a song, if he didn’t want to do it, we didn’t do it. He just wouldn’t learn it. Next rehearsal, we would ask, have you learned such and such? No, but I have learned this! Then he would produce a song that he wanted to do, but we hadnt agreed on. Made me realise that I didn’t want to play with him anymore. 

It sounds like three of us have had similar experiences. Was he also a lazy fokker who would never help carry gear in & out?

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good topic for another thread methinks. Songs with same name but different. ?

That's different songs, rather than a cover of a song that the covers band fondly believes bears a strong resemblance to the original?

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

It sounds like three of us have had similar experiences. Was he also a lazy fokker who would never help carry gear in & out?

Nah, I’ll give him that. He pulled his weight there. Look, at the end of the day, he is my mate, but I just got sick of being in a band with him. I’ve played alongside him all my life, but it just got too much. My job means I can’t play just now, but if I manage to get a rotational position, I will get back to playing and I’m determined that I’ll find another guitarist. It was him that decided we would play trad songs and brought in the accordion player who played on all our rock songs. It was him that brought in another boy that played acoustic. Many times folk would ask , what does he do? You can’t hear him. We should have played as a three piece! 

8 minutes ago, tauzero said:

That's different songs, rather than a cover of a song that the covers band fondly believes bears a strong resemblance to the original?

Completely different songs as in Doctor, Doctor by the Thompson Twins and the different song of the same name by UFO. Not to be confused with the different song by Robert Palmer with a different name but the words "Doctor, doctor" featured prominently in the chorus.

25 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Jump - Van Halen, Pointer Sisters

Best of My Love - Eagles and The Emotions

Power of Love - Hughie Lewis, and some drippy 80s ballad.

Jennifer Rush was it? 😊 (If correct - that's memory not Google!)... and Frankie goes to Hollywood!?

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

Other songs of the same title in 1985[edit]

This was the last of three singles in the British top 100 with the title "The Power of Love" in 1985. The other two were "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which peaked at No.1 in December the previous year, and "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News, which peaked at No.9 three weeks before this song hit No.1.

Three different "The Power of Loves" in the charts during 1985 alone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, tauzero said:

mine wasn't exactly lazy in an obvious way, but he was the least punctual band member I have ever meet (and I've met a few) - supposedly he always set off on time for gigs and rehearsals...but for some reason completely beyond his control he would get lost, or have to follow a detour, or his satnav was sending him on a route on the other side of town where the traffic was bad (i.e. he lied a lot, and we knew it, he set off late and lied) so he was conveniently never there for the load in, only the load out.  And because he was always late the rest of the band would help him in with his gear...

...so actually, yes, lazy fecker

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2019 at 09:54, ubit said:

I think as long as a band is tight, they can get away with quite a lot. If a band has a good sound and is really tight, little things like playing everything exactly like the original can be forgotten.

Exactly this

We take a few liberties with some popular covers and frequently get compliments after the gig about what we've done with them

• Like 2

I played with a guitarist who would learn the songs OK but then set about 'improving' them! Problem was he wouldn't mention it to the rest of the band. He was of the opinion that if a chord was used somewhere in a song, you could randomly substitute it for any other chord because the song was still in the same key. He would also change the order of the chords as "I like to do my own version".  :facepalm:

Amazingly he was 60 and had played in bands since he was a teenager - I left...

I was a bit disappointed in my band today...

We do 1 cover - "Don't Dictate", the punk classic by Penetration.

So far I've managed to get the bass line from Cameo's "Word Up" into the intro, and to play the guitar line from Nirvana's "Come as you are" as the bass line during the verse.

But when I tried to get the guys'n'gal to start it with the riff from "My Sharona" they said it was silly... It's a shame as next I was ready to shoe-horn Parliament's "Flashlight" in as a break.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I was a bit disappointed in my band today...

We do 1 cover - "Don't Dictate", the punk classic by Penetration.

So far I've managed to get the bass line from Cameo's "Word Up" into the intro, and to play the guitar line from Nirvana's "Come as you are" as the bass line during the verse.

But when I tried to get the guys'n'gal to start it with the riff from "My Sharona" they said it was silly... It's a shame as next I was ready to shoe-horn Parliament's "Flashlight" in as a break.

Oh aye, the drums is exactly the same already...

Do you know your sex is on fire? 😁

Edited by Ricky 4000