Why become a member? ×

Bros Doc

Frank Blank

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I posted this before reading the other comments and then deleted it but too late

Ha! Sorry :-/

For any IEM followers, I'd be peeved if I was Luke - he had Shure 215s whilst his brother was treated to a (actually numerous sets of - spot the continuity errors!) set of sparkly new Cosmic customs.

Edited by EBS_freak

It's brilliant, often for the wrong reasons, but it ultimately is a film about the toxicity of the music industry (thanks to Mr Lawson for that perfect summation), 'making it' and how they've both managed to survive.
When you consider that when most 90's popstars became old news, they fell into obscurity, yet these two managed to maintain careers to a lesser or greater degree, in LA and Vegas.

Now, I agree, they don't come across particularly well, with both of them way too serious, although it really is Matt who comes off the worst. That said, it probably shouldn't be said that they don't work hard, because I think they do. I think they deserved to have one last arena show (not sure if anything else came of it?!), but they probably employed a fair few people as a result of the film and the show, which is always great for the music industry. Not least the hired band REALLY deserved to get a cool arena show out of it after what seemed like a horrendous rehearsal period.

Favourite bit? When Matt is getting particularly passionate about how you can't now play conkers in the playground without safety goggles. Luke, in the background but still looking at camera, hasn't quite heard him so asks what he's talking about. Matt then restates his case to Luke, equally as passionately (the world has gone mad etc). Luke's reply? "....I'm alright with that".

Excellent TV, pinch of salt here and there (it's all in the edit), very strange duo...........enjoyable. 8/10

Si

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Anyway, I don't believe for one minute that this was that way that this documentary was meant to pan out for the Goss brothers originally - I think the production company took all the cringe and made that the primary content.

Absolutely. 

I might be one of the few people out there who's watched it twice (long story) and second time around - and having been involved in some similar TV work in the dim and distant past - I started to get a feel for the degree to which people on screen were being manipulated by people who weren't. The two brothers are both classic beneficiaries/victims of music industry success. Frankly there are probably only a small number of us who could say that in a similar situation a TV production company couldn't make us or one of our bands look equally petty and dysfunctional. Matt is in Vegas, and as is suggested by the early scenes, is likely surrounded by people who say yes to even the most ludicrous request or opinion. Luke is in LA, and whilst a little more grounded than his brother, I suspect his head is still in the clouds much of the time. I'm guessing the way the world is at present both are grateful to the production company for the attention, and will spin it all to their benefit, but I can't help feeling a little sad about it. A more intelligent take, Louis Theroux or similar, could have been equally engaging but could have left the audience understanding a little more of why and how Luke and Matt are where they are. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Absolutely. 

I might be one of the few people out there who's watched it twice (long story) and second time around - and having been involved in some similar TV work in the dim and distant past - I started to get a feel for the degree to which people on screen were being manipulated by people who weren't. The two brothers are both classic beneficiaries/victims of music industry success. Frankly there are probably only a small number of us who could say that in a similar situation a TV production company couldn't make us or one of our bands look equally petty and dysfunctional. Matt is in Vegas, and as is suggested by the early scenes, is likely surrounded by people who say yes to even the most ludicrous request or opinion. Luke is in LA, and whilst a little more grounded than his brother, I suspect his head is still in the clouds much of the time. I'm guessing the way the world is at present both are grateful to the production company for the attention, and will spin it all to their benefit, but I can't help feeling a little sad about it. A more intelligent take, Louis Theroux or similar, could have been equally engaging but could have left the audience understanding a little more of why and how Luke and Matt are where they are. 

This is how Britain's Got Talent and X Factor works.

When awful singers get to the live auditions and people are saying, "How on earth do people think they are good...?" - because they have been through 3 or 4 auditions before where the production staff are massaging their egos and telling them how good they are.

This is the one that sticks out for me. They obviously made her do all the talk about Pink... Pink, Pink, Pink... edit it together, manipulate the public... and there you go.

You got to be clearly a bit dumb if you can't see the whole charade. They clearly told her to sing a Pink song... so they then could then lay into her in the manner that they did. They would have told her to dress like she does when she normally goes on stage as Pink.

We never told you to sing a Pink song - No, the production company did... and the panel were complicit in this.

The producers knew exactly what they were doing - and the sooner that this sort of "entertainment" is regulated, the better. It's no wonder 1 in 10 people suffer with mental issues... especially when you have the public humiliation that this girl had to subjected to. You may say she knew what she was signing up to... but her getting through to that stage of the "competition" was for the sole purpose of getting that footage. It may get viewers... but I wouldn't surprise me if this girl has been left with serious mental issues after this... and of course, due to the "contract" there is no comeback on the producers.

At least you'd hope that Matt and Luke are wise to it - and going by their social media interactions, are also in on it - or at least happy with - in the way that they are being portrayed.

EDIT: just looked Zoe Alexander up...looks like she's still continuing with the music career. Good for her.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

This is how Britain's Got Talent and X Factor works.

When awful singers get to the live auditions and people are saying, "How on earth do people think they are good...?" - because they have been through 3 or 4 auditions before where the production staff are massaging their egos and telling them how good they are.

This is the one that sticks out for me. They obviously made her do all the talk about Pink... Pink, Pink, Pink... edit it together, manipulate the public... and there you go.

You got to be clearly a bit dumb if you can't see the whole charade. They clearly told her to sing a Pink song... so they then could then lay into her in the manner that they did. They would have told her to dress like she does when she normally goes on stage as Pink.

We never told you to sing a Pink song - No, the production company did... and the panel were complicit in this.

The producers knew exactly what they were doing - and the sooner that this sort of "entertainment" is regulated, the better. It's no wonder 1 in 10 people suffer with mental issues... especially when you have the public humiliation that this girl had to subjected to. You may say she knew what she was signing up to... but her getting through to that stage of the "competition" was for the sole purpose of getting that footage. It may get viewers... but I wouldn't surprise me if this girl has been left with serious mental issues after this... and of course, due to the "contract" there is no comeback on the producers.

At least you'd hope that Matt and Luke are wise to it - and going by their social media interactions, are complicit - or at least happy with - in the way that they are being portrayed.

Had a mate who's a singer went on one of these shows and he said they dictated what he sang and almost every aspect of his show. He was asked to come back again in 2018 for an audition and told them no. He said he was treated badly by the team and it was all false so i have no respect for any of these shows.

My mate Ant went for the x-factor, he got to the pre production stage and although he was great, he didn’t have a sufficient back story and he was a bit bland looking. So it stopped there.

Weird really, he should’ve just said his puppy was run over that morning.

*cue sad music*

”this is for Ralph the labradoodle”

• Haha 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Had a mate who's a singer went on one of these shows and he said they dictated what he sang and almost every aspect of his show. He was asked to come back again in 2018 for an audition and told them no. He said he was treated badly by the team and it was all false so i have no respect for any of these shows.

I know people in both camps who have made it through to the live shows and those that have been subjected to humiliation. The contracts are watertight. These people know what they are doing. Whatever way they decide to portray you, good or bad, they hold all the cards... even if you become "famous" through humiliation, you are still owned by Syco. Even if you are nobody and you barely make a ripple, if at all, you are still owned by Syco.

If people knew of the manipulation, I don't think that they would be so keen for such shows to be aired... but then again, the human race are toxic beings.

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

My mate Ant went for the x-factor, he got to the pre production stage and although he was great, he didn’t have a sufficient back story and he was a bit bland looking. So it stopped there.

Weird really, he should’ve just said his puppy was run over that morning.

*cue sad music*

”this is for Ralph the labradoodle”

I'm surprised... they normally have scripted back stories for folk. I recall Matt Cardle being one candidate that told a good (entirely false) story.

Edited by EBS_freak

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

If you want to call Pink cheesy, than yeah, he signed and managed her.

- and just been told he was instrumental to the success of Robbie William's solo career.

I can see why he turned down the "opportunity" to appear in this documentary.

Also dated Danni Minogue and Melanie Sykes. Done alright has our Ken.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

If you didn't see who was behind the production of it, have a look at the closing credits (SPOILER : It's James Corden and his production company). That may explain the particular slant on the way that this documentary was delivered.

It explains why I didn't laugh... And why it felt like a student rip off of Ricky Gervais, much like the rest of James Corden's career 

Oddly enough i remember thinking he wasn't a bad drummer back then either. He seemed to put a lot into his drumming. I could get along with Luke but think i might struggle with Matt's ego. I just couldn't take him seriously because of his attitude.

Dave

After reading this thread yesterday, I watched the documentary last night. I did smile quite a bit when Matt was creating incomprehensible mazes of metaphor and then getting stuck in them, but most of the rest of it was fairly meh. The arguments during rehearsals certainly had an air of familiarity about them - I was cringing in recognition. But there didn't really seem to be much in the way of narrative flow - it just eventually ended. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you want something that legitimately lays claim to being "the real life Spinal Tap" then watch Anvil: The Story Of Anvil. Very funny, with a great payoff at the end.

S.P.

20 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

After reading this thread yesterday, I watched the documentary last night. I did smile quite a bit when Matt was creating incomprehensible mazes of metaphor and then getting stuck in them, but most of the rest of it was fairly meh. The arguments during rehearsals certainly had an air of familiarity about them - I was cringing in recognition. But there didn't really seem to be much in the way of narrative flow - it just eventually ended. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you want something that legitimately lays claim to being "the real life Spinal Tap" then watch Anvil: The Story Of Anvil. Very funny, with a great payoff at the end.

S.P.

Yep, The Story of Anvil is a great documentary - and very life affirming - but in terms of the real life Spinal Tap it pales by comparison with Some Kind of Monster :)

4 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I'm not a fan of Metallica - will I still enjoy the film?

S.P.

I'm same not a metal fan to be honest but i generally like a band documentary. I know a few Metallica songs right enough and enjoyed playing them in a Monsters of Rock covers band but wouldn't buy any albums.

I could see the Metallica one being interesting as they have quite a volatile singer.

Dave

10 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I'm not a fan of Metallica - will I still enjoy the film?

S.P.

I think it's a slow burn. I'm not a fan either but it starts to get really odd/funny as the 'interloper' (without wanting to ruin it for you) becomes more involved. It is a good watch.

1 minute ago, Steve Browning said:

I think it's a slow burn. I'm not a fan either but it starts to get really odd/funny as the 'interloper' (without wanting to ruin it for you) becomes more involved. It is a good watch.

And the bass audition scene is pretty impressive also :)