Why become a member? ×

What are must know songs for Jam nights ?

shoulderpet

The only problem, and it is one I have come across in a couple of the bands I have played in recently, as well as at jam nights, is the nightmare of the left handed guitarist. I find it very difficult to 'read' the chords from the guitarists hands when it's al the 'wrong' way round for me! Some of the best guitarists I have had the pleasure of playing have been left handed....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Easy, Dave. Take a large mirror to the jam ...

Now that's something I've never considered. I'll add a large mirror and stand to my gigging kit right now!

Only problem is that the guitarist will only be able to see me in the mirror and will think I'm doing it all wrong!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, goingdownslow said:

Remember to bring Red House to an end before it becomes Red Housing Estate.

I've played versions of that which have passed through Red Town to Red City and on towards Red striving for global domination before the guitarists have run out of wind.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've played versions of that which have passed through Red Town to Red City and on towards Red striving for global domination before the guitarists have run out of wind.

I used to do quite a lot of jams as part of the house band and one of the skills me and the drummer developed was how to bring long blues jams to an end when it became clear that the guitar player had run out of ideas. Of course, we tended to realise long before they did...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

A few years ago I was at a stag do at a beer festival in darkest Herefordshire.

One of the bands did a 2 pint version of Red House.

Everybody in the group finished their current pints, queued for the bar and came back to drink most of their next beer before the song ended.

It must have been well over 30 minutes long.

Went to an open mic last night that turned into a Jam session, various blues turnarounds, Rocking in the Free world and Lay Lady Lay, twice.

A couple of things struck me, the songs last a long time because nobody knows how to finish them and apart from the people actually playing it's boring drivel, I've come to the conclusion that Jam sessions should not be done in the public domain 

• Like 2

Jam nights are, in my experience, just self indulgent boredom. Endless guitar solos, sax solos, piano solos etc etc. Most of it seems to be 12 bar, some 8 bar if someone's feeling adventurous. Other than that if anyone tries anything outside that it all starts to fall apart because no one knows what the hell is going on. 

EDIT: even supposedly well known songs get completely smashed to bits. Someone, I think, suggested Stormy Monday. I don't know it, but the number of people who think it's a 12 bar. It does make for some funny moments when the one person who knows and probably suggested it is playing it right and everyone else is 12 barring it.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mickeyboro said:

The worst thing is when the organiser hogs the best musicians for himself (it’s invariably a him) and you end up playing with the ‘C’ team...😞

The organiser of the one I've been to, to be fair, does try and make sure that participants mix it up a bit so you don't get 'teams'. However, there is a bass player who goes who seems to think it's 'his gig', so he plays with the better players but won't play with anyone he thinks isn't up to scratch. The organiser does his best, but some people are just hogs by nature. It's part of the reason I stopped going....after about 3 times.

I've done loads of jam session, including being in a the house band at blues festivals, and they can be really great. Whether they are fun for the audience largely depends on the quality of players taking part, but it is a great way for less experienced musos to learn how to busk, play with other musicians and improve. It's also a great showcase for a player looking for new bands and guys to play with. 

Yes, they often tend to be blues based, as that type of music has a tradition of jamming and has set forms that can easily be varied if necessary and lend themselves to busking. The same can be said of jazz, although you won't get people like me there! The biggest problem with regular local jam nights is that they tend to run out of steam after a bit, as you inevitably tend the same guys coming back playing the same stuff every week. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, peteb said:

you inevitably tend the same guts coming back playing the same stuff every week. 

That's what makes it for me. It's a social club for music nerds. We get them in, the landlord makes some money and everyone has a good time. At the one we did for several years in a pub that sadly got converted into housing it was weekly and rammed out every time. A good mix of musicians and people from the surrounding area. We've had some fairly big names in so maybe a bit more of a draw than is usual.

There's a blurry line between "open jams" and "open mics" in my experience. And a lot depends on the attitude of the person running it.

I played the blues jam at Matt & Phreds in Mcr a few times and found it intimidating - competitive guitar shredders and no thanks from the guitards or the organiser. Spinning Top in Stockport a bit more comfortable but I didn't really feel welcome. Otoh when we played the Sunday evening om/jam run by @12stringbassist we all felt very welcome and supported. 20 min full band set, and then keys and I joined the jam later. Everyone playing in the jam careful that we were all comfortable with what we were going to play. 

Went to one I've not been to for a while the other night. Open mic/blues jam they are all the same to me its just music. I was glad I wasnt asked to kick it off though as the third song in was friggin red house. I've never actually heard any bass player do it as Hendrix did which is a shame as it's not all that 'conventional' when you really listen to it, quite quirky at times. I just retaliated and did Alright Now. Got to blow some steam off later with Substitute among others

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165953396942901/

Dragged them through a slightly chaotic version of Merry xmas everybody as I needed a refresher before playing it at a gig tonight.

Edited by KevB

On 21/12/2018 at 22:04, Buzzy said:

I looked around for a blues jam as a way of meeting other musos when I was between bands. I found one that wasn't too far away and thought I would give it a try. Luckily they were posting clips on youtube ..... I didn't bother.

:facepalm:

Oh dear. This is the sort of thing that put me off years ago. 

On 21/12/2018 at 23:04, Buzzy said:

I looked around for a blues jam as a way of meeting other musos when I was between bands. I found one that wasn't too far away and thought I would give it a try. Luckily they were posting clips on youtube ..... I didn't bother....

You mean, this actually goes on for over twelve minutes..? :swoon:

Edited by Dad3353

On 17/12/2018 at 15:29, Happy Jack said:

Try spending a few hours with your radio tuned to Absolute Radio (or similar Oldies station) and see how many of the big hits from the past you can successfully busk based simply on the fact that you grew up listening to the song.

If you have a talent for that, then you'll do fine at any jam session.

planet rock. planet rock. planet rock

• Like 1