Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

7 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

Anyone invested in Ian Martin Allison's presets? Any good? I don't mind chucking a fiver or a tenner just to see what a patch is like but his are far more expensive and wondering if they're worth it. Especially the synth sounds which sound amazing on the videos that I've seen but I always suspect there's more going on than just bass>helix.

My take on this is a bit different. I bought them all, to see what he had done. I was pleasantly surprised that most of his standard amp setup was similar to something that I had already built, so I haven't used those patches. You could argue that was a waste of money. However, I was still glad to see what somebody else had done in detail for a general purpose set of patches. 

His synth patches were more imaginative, particularly the use of press and hold on some footswitches to trigger different behaviour. I haven't used them live as they wouldn't work in the smoothish music that we tend to go for in our church (!), but have enjoyed fiddling with them at home.

I have previously used Dr Tone patches as well to see what others used as a starting point - but had the best results with making my own patches from scratch. 

My personal favourite is to use the tube mic pre model, combined with tape saturation (retro reel), then add effects as needed (reverb, chorus, octave). SVT is fun, Fender Bassman has tons of character, but all the amp and cab models seemed to not let enough of the instrument sound through for my liking, even after putting on a parallel path with <50% going to the amps. 

Your mileage will definitely vary!

Phil

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pn_day said:

My personal favourite is to use the tube mic pre model, combined with tape saturation (retro reel), then add effects as needed (reverb, chorus, octave). SVT is fun, Fender Bassman has tons of character, but all the amp and cab models seemed to not let enough of the instrument sound through for my liking, even after putting on a parallel path with <50% going to the amps. 

Try switching the cabs off. They seem to absorb an awful lot of effect - using the 70s chorus, it was completely inaudible with a couple of Ampeg cabs in but became nicely audible when I switched the cabs off.

15 hours ago, pn_day said:

. My personal favourite is to use the tube mic pre model, combined with tape saturation (retro reel), then add effects as needed (reverb, chorus, octave).

I do the same in most of my patches. I never use cabs or IRs, with the exception of one of my patches built for my acoustic bass. 

I found most of the time that "guitar" amp models suited my sound better than the supposed bass ones. That's the great thing about the Helix and other modellers you can try all sorts of (virtual) devices that you wouldn't dare use in real life with a bass at gigging volumes. The worst that can happen is that you won't like the sound.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see there's a new HX product on the loose:

Line 6 Pedals | HX One - Peach Guitars

In essence, it appears to be a revolution of the old M5 pedal - small form factor and one effect at a time. Ideal for people who use stompboxes but also want to keep their pedal board trim and consolidate "occasional use" pedals into a single pedal.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I see there's a new HX product on the loose:

Line 6 Pedals | HX One - Peach Guitars

In essence, it appears to be a revolution of the old M5 pedal - small form factor and one effect at a time. Ideal for people who use stompboxes but also want to keep their pedal board trim and consolidate "occasional use" pedals into a single pedal.

There's another thread just started on the subject. It seems rather restricted to me, as it's a single effect selected from a list of 250 or so, rather than up to 9 effects as the HX Effects has for double the money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest POD Go Firmware upgrade has been released today, v2.0.

6 new bass cabs, 1x12 Epifani, B15 Ampeg, 2x15 Mesa, 4x10 Eden XLT, 4x10 Ampeg HLF & Ampeg 8x10 AV Heritage.

1 new bass amp, Agua Sledge.

No bass specific effects.

Will download & upgrade mine tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not fussed about the Bassman, tbh, but I'll give the Orange a look. I am most intrigued, nay, excited, by the Noble though. 

I'm currently using the SVT4PRO into a parametric eq instead of a cab block, with the LA2A at the end as a sweetener. I'm wondering how the Noble will sound either on it's own instead of the SVT, or at the end of my chain in place of the LA2A.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Muppet said:

Not too impressed with the Bassman or its cab but the AD200 is very nice and the Noble is really lovely..might use that as my preamp and see what it’s like. 

Yeah the Regal sounds great to my ears! I haven’t compared it to my actual Noble yet, but think it will compare favourably.

Si

• Like 3

I tried the Regal the other day and wasn't impressed. Until it dawned on me afterwards that I had dropped it into an existing preset with amp, IR & EQ running. As the Noble is just a DI, I put the Regal into an empty preset last night and with minimal tweaking of it's EQ it sounded really good. I like it a lot.

I've A/B'd it against my favourite Bassman presets and it holds it's own easily. It just sounds drier as it's a modelled DI rather than my livelier Bassman presets which have more of an amp & cab feel to them.

I can see myself using this lots.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I've doubled up on anything, but 89 pages is a lot to hoick through - has anyone got any tried and tested synth patches for the Stomp? 80s stuff for covers, mainly, things like The Way You Make Me Feel, etc...

I spent a couple of hours recently having a go at making my own (octaver, some distortion and some chorus), and was reasonably close after about 15 minutes, but then that thing happened when you used to go into a record shop*, and two hours later I'd disappeared up my own derriere and at one point caught a glimpse of the back of my own head, and I didn't know what was good or bad or useable or not any more... 

* You strode in decisively with enough money for one album, and a good idea of what you wanted, but an hour's browsing later you couldn't decide what to buy...

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Apologies if I've doubled up on anything, but 89 pages is a lot to hoick through - has anyone got any tried and tested synth patches for the Stomp? 80s stuff for covers, mainly, things like The Way You Make Me Feel, etc...

Aww mate...you've handled 369 pages on the Yamaha mega-thread, 89 pages should be a walk in the park for you? 😅

Here you go, some earlier chat around pages 56 and 57 of this thread on synth sounds:

On 24/11/2020 at 23:27, PatrickJ said:

Checked out Dr Tone this evening but didn't really rate his Synth sounds...

This guy however - much more the sort of thing I am after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz02CvQ42U&ab_channel=ChadCarouthers

Also this guy is using a HX FX in this video for some of his synth effects

Scott's Bass Lessons - Top 10 Synth Bass Lines (But it's not Scott!)

Consensus back then was that it wasn't Helix's (or indeed most multifx's) strong point. The exception on the multifx front being the cheap as chips Zoom B1-4 and its siblings and you'd be better off with a Future Impact or C4 for monophonic synth or Boss SY-200 (or the SY-1 if you don't want presets) for polyphonic. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I started with Ian A, I guess I just lost confidence in my own judgement of the sounds I was getting (see 'two hours of indecisive hell' above), I was hoping someone might say 'I've got a decent Moog sound which works live'...back to the Stomp...