Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

Just finishing the 3.60 update, does anyone know what the consequences of ignoring these steps are?

It is highly recommended that you perform the following after your device reconnects:

Factory reset your device by power cycling while holding footswitches 2 and 3.

Restore your device from the backup you just created.

edit: oh a close reading of the release notes suggests it's probably this

OPTIONAL: Performing a factory reset loads the new 3.60 Factory Presets, but restoring from your backup will overwrite these.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

Yes, you could ‘brick’ the device. It’s a pain but just do it when you have the time. If you have a Floor, it rebuilds the presets after the factory reset and when you reinstall the backup so take that into account.

I start it going then go and have a cuppa. Definitely DONT do it at a rehearsal or gig!

When I did the 3.5 firmware update to my Helix Floor it rebuilt the patches 3 times - first time immediately after the update, then again after I did restore from my backup and again the next time I switched the device on. I won't be doing the 3.6 update until I know I'll be using it at home at least 3 times before I next have a rehearsal or gig.

18 hours ago, Twunkbass said:

I felt guilty about buying a stomp xl, but every few months it keeps getting better and better. All I need now is for the boctover to track a tad better and more synthy options

Whilst I agree that synthesis is the weak point in the Helix for some of us bassists, the legacy synths added last year have largely prevented me from buying another pedal for the couple of songs I needed it for.

So with the wife at work for the entire bank holiday weekend, I was finally able to do a deep dive into an issue that's been plaguing me for a while. Namely, the difference volume (or what I initially thought was tone) between split and non split paths.

I had found out somewhere else that a Y and A/B split path has a -3db drop in volume. Naturally I assumed it would be the same for the crossover split. So I've had a 3db gain block after the merge block for a while but it still didn't sound right.  After much faffing and measuring (inc running pink noise through native into and RTA) I've discovered that a crossover split has a -6db drop in volume! That's quite significant.

I've now gone through all my presets set the merge blocks level to +3db for Y or A/B splits and +6db for crossover splits and my levels are now far more consistent.

I kind of understand the logic of reducing the level for Y and A/B splits, but certainly not such a huge drop for crossovers. Surely, the volume should be the same coming out as going in.

• Like 2

I have raised this in the "bug" thread on the Line 6 forum. I'm being told that it's due to "Pans Law". Apparently each half of a split path is reduced by 3db in order to make the mixed result unity gain. But this also applies to the crossover split, which isn't very useful.

However, I'm seeing a different result than would be expected from Pans Law. I'm seeing a net reduction in volume on equal splits, and a bigger than expected reduction on crossover splits. (and yes, I've experimented with polarity too)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm driving myself bananas here and I've searched here and on Google and can't get clarity on what I'm after so here goes.....

Anyone using the HX Stomp for their IEM mix? Currently I have this setup:

Bass -> HX Stomp -> Behringer BDI21 -> Mixer -> Headphone amp -> In ears

I'm hoping to get to get to a point where the Stomp becomes the all in one so that feeds to the mixer then I take a feed from the mixer to the Stomp, rather than a headphone amp, and use the headphone output from there for my IEM mix. Any suggestions on how to set up the sends and returns for this?

59 minutes ago, owen_87 said:

I'm driving myself bananas here and I've searched here and on Google and can't get clarity on what I'm after so here goes.....

Anyone using the HX Stomp for their IEM mix? Currently I have this setup:

Bass -> HX Stomp -> Behringer BDI21 -> Mixer -> Headphone amp -> In ears

I'm hoping to get to get to a point where the Stomp becomes the all in one so that feeds to the mixer then I take a feed from the mixer to the Stomp, rather than a headphone amp, and use the headphone output from there for my IEM mix. Any suggestions on how to set up the sends and returns for this?

Could you use the 4-cable method (page 9 of the manual) with the amp return and send being the mixer input and output? There's a setting in Global Settings | Ins/Outs for Phones monitor - not sure if you could use that to divert the Stomp's Send to the phones, otherwise you could send it to the headphone amp (so you don't get to do away with that). Using that method, the Stomp's output (TRS) can go straight to the mixer using a TRS to XLR lead, so you've got a balanced feed (which you can do anyway with your current setup, losing the BDI21).

Hey all,

I’m playing about with my HX Stomp and the idea of having a cab sim on a different output going straight to PA, whereas the main output simply goes to my amp as normal, without the cab sim of course. 

Does the below look like it will work? If so, presumably it’s the Send output on the right side of the pedal that then goes straight to desk if I change the Send/Return L & R to Line level in global settings?:

BCFA1F65-B02E-4C15-AAA3-86B90A99D415.thumb.jpeg.ef70cd4ad461a7cb720ff2be08058ffd.jpeg

Cheers

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 18:28, Sibob said:

Hey all,

I’m playing about with my HX Stomp and the idea of having a cab sim on a different output going straight to PA, whereas the main output simply goes to my amp as normal, without the cab sim of course. 

Does the below look like it will work? If so, presumably it’s the Send output on the right side of the pedal that then goes straight to desk if I change the Send/Return L & R to Line level in global settings?:

BCFA1F65-B02E-4C15-AAA3-86B90A99D415.thumb.jpeg.ef70cd4ad461a7cb720ff2be08058ffd.jpeg

Cheers

Si

For those interested, this didn’t seem to work, got signal out of both outputs, the amp/cab sim on the ‘Send’ output sounded great, but the main output sounded quiet and thin weirdly?!

What did seem to work, and I don’t quite understand why really haha, is putting a Send L block in front of amp/cab sim…..

BC1681AD-D2C6-4DE6-B5A0-448651E8A0D2.thumb.jpeg.48cd4c06705f1579641ee006cd056371.jpeg

This, for some reason, pushes a signal not effected by amp/cab out of the ‘Send’ output and a signal effected by amp/cab sim out of the main output. Both outputs effected by the effects blocks as you’d want.

Si

• 3 months later...

Hey all,

I don’t suppose anyone has a spare UK adapter (the bit they supply that slides onto the power supply)? I’ve managed to mislay my adapter it seems.

Line6 seemingly don’t supply that piece separately and instead want to sell me a new £55 power supply 🙄

Cheers

Si

Edited by Sibob

Anyone invested in Ian Martin Allison's presets? Any good? I don't mind chucking a fiver or a tenner just to see what a patch is like but his are far more expensive and wondering if they're worth it. Especially the synth sounds which sound amazing on the videos that I've seen but I always suspect there's more going on than just bass>helix.

1 hour ago, Dazm66 said:

Anyone invested in Ian Martin Allison's presets? Any good? I don't mind chucking a fiver or a tenner just to see what a patch is like but his are far more expensive and wondering if they're worth it. Especially the synth sounds which sound amazing on the videos that I've seen but I always suspect there's more going on than just bass>helix.

John Willis from "Dr Tones Lab" slated them.  He said they're all just generic values on standard blocks and there's nothing thought out or special.  I'm sure he uploaded his own versions to the Dr Tones Lab website for free where all values were 1 out to avoid any plagiarism drama.  Might be worth checking them out on his website.

Worth mentioning I actually really like what Ian Martin Allison is doing, but haven't tried his or Jon Willis' presets.

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazm66 said:

Look at Jon Willis/Dr. Tone presets... I'll leave it at that... IAM's presets came in for SERIOUS slagging for being horribly priced simple settings.

13 hours ago, Sibob said:

Hey all,

I don’t suppose anyone has a spare UK adapter (the bit they supply that slides onto the power supply)? I’ve managed to mislay my adapter it seems.

Line6 seemingly don’t supply that piece separately and instead want to sell me a new £55 power supply 🙄

Cheers

Si

I got one of these when my Line 6 supply gave up... 

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/47510/UK_9V_Power_Adaptor_for_the_Line-6_HX-Stomp_Effects-pedal_by_myVolts

Cheap and not had any issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

John Willis from "Dr Tones Lab" slated them.  He said they're all just generic values on standard blocks and there's nothing thought out or special.  I'm sure he uploaded his own versions to the Dr Tones Lab website for free where all values were 1 out to avoid any plagiarism drama.  Might be worth checking them out on his website.

Worth mentioning I actually really like what Ian Martin Allison is doing, but haven't tried his or Jon Willis' presets.

3 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Look at Jon Willis/Dr. Tone presets... I'll leave it at that... IAM's presets came in for SERIOUS slagging for being horribly priced simple settings.

Thanks both! Sounds like a potential dodging of a bullet.

Truth is I probably need to just play around myself starting with the Dr Tone Stuff. Using 3 or 4 different basses doesn't help either!

6 minutes ago, Dazm66 said:

Using 3 or 4 different basses doesn't help either!

Which version of the Helix do you have?

I play in two different bands which require the use of different basses and use the set list function to be able to tailor my pre-sets to suit each different bass that I use.