Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

On 22/09/2023 at 09:23, cetera said:

I like the gold, but a silver and or purple would really tempt me....

I wasn't crazy about either color at first but the gold really grew on me. Still I think they nailed it with the original 3 colors (red, black and white)

On 22/09/2023 at 09:57, ead said:

I feel that the world needs more Black Cherry Spectors.

Right? Black cherry is one of my fav Spector colors, they do that really well, both US and Euro. Some years ago I almost bought a NS-6XL in that color but the seller wasn't shipping to EU (he was in the States)

• Like 1

Back in the Spector group again & it feels good. This is my 2nd Ian Hill…a few years ago arthritis had a go at the base of my thumbs, it’s still there but I wear a 6” wrist band pulled down over the thumb base & it helps a good bit….worth a try if you’re in the same boat. Anyhow roll on Friday for a practice session 👍

IMG_1056.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

Back in the Spector group again & it feels good. This is my 2nd Ian Hill…a few years ago arthritis had a go at the base of my thumbs, it’s still there but I wear a 6” wrist band pulled down over the thumb base & it helps a good bit….worth a try if you’re in the same boat. Anyhow roll on Friday for a practice session 👍

Good to hear that you've got a solution of sorts there.  I'll keep this in mind as I know I'm heading down that road myself :|

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dov65 said:

IMG_1056.jpeg

Yeah, that's a good workaround mate.  I did similar when having wrist issues, you can double the wristband over for more support too. 

• Like 2

I just got my beloved Euro LX4 back from my master tech geezer, who fitted my preferred EMGX pickups. This was my first ever Spector, and for some reason known to no one, I sold it on. Idiot. Instant regret. I managed to get it back about 4 weeks ago after 18 months apart, and I’m just so happy about it. Anyway, it’s now sounding the way it should, plus is now volume, pickup selector, bass, treble. I can’t wait to start gigging with it. Happy days. Cheers

IMG_9786.jpeg

IMG_9785.jpeg

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got a new to me (but used) Spector with the tone pump. When I opened it up to adjust the trim pot it just span freely and popped/disconnected the output. Now, I assume this is broken but is it common? Easy to fix? Anyone have any information please?

Was there no gain change in all of its travel? Its just that if it is a single turn pot, there is a gap right in the middle which would make it cut out, but the rest of the travel should work.

Thinking about it, I beleive I have a tone pump in a box somewhere, I will see how that one is.

No it's off all the time apart from one specific place in which it's on. The tiny bit that is 'on' doesn't allow for any volume adjustment. Sorry for the horrible, horrible video but, despite me having an above-average number of hands, I still don't have enough to play, adjust and film at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think my mind is pretty much set on a Euro 4 LX in matte back stain, but I do love the blue and gold finishes of the Euro classic. Just out of interest, do the classics suffer with neck dive due to the lightweight body, and do they lose anything sonically by having chambered wings? 

The Classic does dive a little, but nothing that a decent strap or a lighter set of hipshots wouldn't sort.
Diff preamp in the Classic too. The EMG BTS.

I love both the LX and the Classic.... and both the BTS and the Tonepump. It's really down to personal choice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cetera said:

The Classic does dive a little, but nothing that a decent strap or a lighter set of hipshots wouldn't sort.
Diff preamp in the Classic too. The EMG BTS.

I love both the LX and the Classic.... and both the BTS and the Tonepump. It's really down to personal choice.

I do love the idea of all maple with EMG pups and pre amp, but I think my mind is set on that matte black LX. I have an all maple NS2000, which I lent out to a ‘friend’ years ago for his daughter to learn on. It came back in a sorry state and I’ve since found out that when she got her own bass, they stored my NS in an attic, and not in any kind of case. The strings were rusty! I’ve changed strings and given the whole bass a clean up, but there’s hardly any output volume, and plugged into my headphone all I get is a high pitched squeal. So part of my thinking is, go for the LX and then upgrade the pups and pre in the NS to some better EMG’s and have two different flavours. 

• Like 2

On 17/11/2023 at 13:37, ern500evo said:

do the classics suffer with neck dive due to the lightweight body, and do they lose anything sonically by having chambered wings? 

- I have a Classic 5 and it has the thickest neck that I've ever encountered on any of my 5 string Spectors including US and CR models. The bass is light so it does have a slight dive due to the mass in the neck but for me it is not an issue with this bass  which is strange as any dive is a big no-no for me. ( sold basses just for this) I also prefer thinner necks so I don't know what's going on with me and this Classic but it became my gigging bass for the last year or so. Not that I prefer this over my other Spectors but just really like playing it.

- sonically nothing is missing, you're getting the growl and the low B in mine's case is killer. I rate my Classic as some of the best Spectors ever to come out of the Czech workshop. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first look down the Spector rabbit-hole.  A Dan Briggs signature model with Darkglass Tone Capule preamp. I have to admit I didn’t have a clue who Dan Briggs was!

First impressions are positive, aside from it being a bit on the heavy side.

IMG_0162.webp

IMG_0167.webp

• Like 6