Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

7 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Does it have the TonePump? I cannot see the control cavity. Maybe it has the Aguilar OBP-1 that they used between 01 and 03. The first version of the Tonepump started in 03 but I don't now if there was a transition period (i.e., they switched to the TP sometime during 03).

There is one pic up with the listing showing the open cavity. By the look of the unit and the arrangement of the wiring I'm pretty ure that is a non-trim Tonepump

image.thumb.png.94d9e23b08ee42a2fc47d0f2b6b0a78e.png

10 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

There is one pic up with the listing showing the open cavity. By the look of the unit and the arrangement of the wiring I'm pretty ure that is a non-trim Tonepump

image.thumb.png.94d9e23b08ee42a2fc47d0f2b6b0a78e.png

Thanks. I did not check all photos. There are so many. Yes, 1st version of the TP by the look of it.

Does anyone know about the neck profile (front to back) of a Euro from that time period? Chunky like most Euros (not for me) or slimmer (more like the Ian Hill)?

14 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

@Eldon Tyrell can't comment on the neck as I had / have only 5'ers from that period whose necks aren't that much different that the later Euro5's (and slimmer that my NS-5XL fwiw) 

But I'd expect it not being Ian Hill slim. 

Thanks, @PaulhauserI've sent Andy an email, asking him about the neck shape. Let's see what he says. In the past, I bought a Euro 4LT (with Fishman Fluence Pickups) and a Euro 4LX Ras Layer signature bass, both unseen, both had chunky necks and both are not with me anymore.

• Like 1

As mentioned, I have a 2000 euro5 so about the same age and construction. I am not sure what you mean by chunky, but the neck on mine is not what I would describe as chunky - its thinner than the RST, and thinner than a legend I had, but not the same level as an ibanez. As someone that doesn't like P basses for their chunky necks, this isn't like that.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

As mentioned, I have a 2000 euro5 so about the same age and construction. I am not sure what you mean by chunky, but the neck on mine is not what I would describe as chunky - its thinner than the RST, and thinner than a legend I had, but not the same level as an ibanez. As someone that doesn't like P basses for their chunky necks, this isn't like that.

Thanks, by chunky I mean a more rounded profile. The Euros I mentioned (LT and Ras Layer) had such a neck profile. I like the more flatter/thinner/less round/slimmer (back to front) profiles like on my Fortes and NS-2 (thin neck specs). As it is difficult to describe neck shapes, I guess I have to take the train to Leeds and try it out myself. Won't happen before June/July, so let's see if it's still available then. 

8 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Thanks, by chunky I mean a more rounded profile. The Euros I mentioned (LT and Ras Layer) had such a neck profile. I like the more flatter/thinner/less round/slimmer (back to front) profiles like on my Fortes and NS-2 (thin neck specs). As it is difficult to describe neck shapes, I guess I have to take the train to Leeds and try it out myself. Won't happen before June/July, so let's see if it's still available then. 

Well, never mind, the bass has sold. Not on Andy Baxter's website anymore. So, has any of you bought it? If yes, thank you! 😁

1 hour ago, Raj_Shredder said:

Thanks! Yes. It’s a great bass.

I love the fact that they come up with the 5 string PJ, even if it is a limited run for a specific dealer..... I think it was way overdue for the Euro line. I've seen only one PJ Euro 5 before and that was a custom order through the Czech workshop. 

I have a pre-LX Euro 5 that I put a J and a P in - in the EMG40 housing-  so technically it is a PJ albeit optically not 🙂

553560072_Spectorpink2.thumb.jpg.c650397529e45ac75c842a014949f36d.jpg

Edited by Paulhauser
typo fixed
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I love the fact that they come up with the 5 string PJ, even if it is a limited run for a specific dealer..... I think it was way overdue for the Euro line. I've seen only one PJ Euro 5 before and that was a custom order through the Czech workshop. 

I have a pre-LX Euro 5 that I put a J and a P in - in the EMG40 housing-  so technically it is a PJ albeit optically not 🙂

553560072_Spectorpink2.thumb.jpg.c650397529e45ac75c842a014949f36d.jpg

That’s a fine looking specimen!! Honestly, I am fine with the dedicated P/J setup, but the versatility of the DC40 housing would be nice as well. I’m a sucker for natural finishes. That’s what really drew me toward this particular LE run. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raj_Shredder said:

That’s a fine looking specimen!! Honestly, I am fine with the dedicated P/J setup, but the versatility of the DC40 housing would be nice as well. I’m a sucker for natural finishes. That’s what really drew me toward this particular LE run. 

No wonder, yours is an exquisite looking bass, I love natural finishes too and that is something Spector always excelled at making. Yours has an ebony board, right?

The 40 housing is a treat, so easy to swap and not a big buck to buy. I have a few Spector 5 strings that originally came with 40DC's and throughout the years have been swapped to 40 DXC, TWX and a PJ (even I had a PP setup in one of my NS-5XL for a while)

1 hour ago, Paulhauser said:

No wonder, yours is an exquisite looking bass, I love natural finishes too and that is something Spector always excelled at making. Yours has an ebony board, right?

The 40 housing is a treat, so easy to swap and not a big buck to buy. I have a few Spector 5 strings that originally came with 40DC's and throughout the years have been swapped to 40 DXC, TWX and a PJ (even I had a PP setup in one of my NS-5XL for a while)

Yes. It’s an ebony board. Primary differences from a stock LT are the EMG PJ pickups, the preamp (originally a TonePump which I swapped out for an EMG BQC System) matching headstock, Swamp Ash Body, the finish and a 3A Top. 

Edited by Raj_Shredder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

AIC, Queensryche, Pantera, Cameo and Living Colour, all in one video, featuring a white Euro 4 Classic (and a black Euro 5). Cool stuff. Check it out 😍

Such a great bass player, and top bloke. Really enjoy watching him play. This video was ace ☺️

• Like 1

Little confession time: I've been wanting to love my Spector Euro 5LX bass for a long while, because it's such a good bass - it's got such a meaty Spector EMG growl and punchy low end which immediately announces you're there to an audience and cuts through the mix effortlessly, but it's played second fiddle to my lighter Elrick for some while (also a great bass) and I've had it up for sale on and off for 6 months as it wasn't getting used.

My particular issue has I've just not been able to find a way wear it comfortably - it's felt a bit too heavy and the fretboard extension was at a tiring angle for my left arm.

Fortunately I managed to resist near offers and gave it another go with a wide padded Minotaur strap tonight combined with slightly shortening the strap length. Bingo!! 2 hour gig tonight it felt just fine, well actually more than fine. Singer commented on what a great looking bass it was (it is!) and drummer loved the tone. I'm not disagreeing with either of them 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Little confession time: I've been wanting to love my Spector Euro 5LX bass for a long while, because it's such a good bass - it's got such a meaty Spector EMG growl which immediately announces you're there to an audience and cuts through the mix effortlessly, but I've struggled to "wear" it comfortably and it's taken second fiddle to my lighter Elrick for some while (also a great bass) and I've had it up for sale on and off for 6 months.

My particular issue has I've just not been able to find a way wear it comfortably - it's felt a bit too heavy and the fretboard extension was at a tiring angle for my left arm.

Fortunately I managed to resist near offers and gave it another go with a wide Minotaur strap tonight which I also slightly shortened. Bingo!! 2 hour gig tonight it felt just fine, well actually more than fine. Singer commented on what a great looking bass it was (it is!) and drummer loved the tone. I'm not disagreeing with either of them 😊

So glad you are finding love for it with just some minor tweak. Long term relationships are stronger when they develop slowly.

I know I love mine and it also turns heads and gets compliments on it's looks and sound although mine has factory fitted Barts. 🤗

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My green spector is very heavy (its one of the all maple ones) and initially it did put me off, but it seems that unlike other basses of the same weight I had I found it not so bad because of the distribution or something.

The length was also a little unusual for me, but I still kept going back to it for the sound and the way it cut through on the skinny strings that a lot of other basses didn't seem to.

I ended up using it more than the RST, which is 7llb, largely because of the neck profile I think.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The length was also a little unusual for me, but I still kept going back to it for the sound and the way it cut through on the skinny strings that a lot of other basses didn't seem to.

Exactly this!

Could some Spector gent give me pickup height for active EMG’s….there a P&J set. Either the height from under the strings or from the body. I’ve been told before but can’t remember Strongbows got a lot to answer for.

8 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Must all be practicing 

I've never been so insulted in my life :lol:

In short, I have no idea, sorry.  I normally adjust to suit the output so as to avoid clipping, but that's about as scientific as I get.

• Haha 2

@Dov65 I can measure on my Euro 435 whatever you want but I’m not sure it’s useful as I set them up to match the outputs just like @ead so they are at different heights. 

IMG_4579.thumb.jpeg.64b6f7483f42c0dd6050519ad866f9e0.jpeg

Also the other issue is that the bridge on this one sticks out a lot more than on my other Euros because the neck is angled slightly,  not flat to the body like on the others so the pickups are at a higher level. 

Still I can measure if you want 

• Thanks 1